Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Fitful'
Fitful Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- occurring in spells and often abruptly; "fitful bursts of energy"; "spasmodic rifle fire" [syn: spasmodic]
- intermittently stopping and starting; "fitful (or interrupted) sleep"; "off-and-on static" [syn: interrupted, off-and-on(a)]
- Fitful \Fit"ful\, a. [From 7th Fit.]
Full of fits; irregularly variable; impulsive and unstable.
After life's fitful fever, he sleeps well. --Shak.
-- Fit"ful*ly, adv. -- Fit"ful*ness, n.
The victorious trumpet peal Dies fitfully away.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Fitful'
Words and phrases related to 'Fitful'
Fitful Sample Sentences in News
- Wake Up A Lot During The Night? It Might Be Worse For You Than We Thought
After a fitful night's sleep — maybe you... Read more on this news related to 'Fitful'
- Book review: ‘Rogue Elephant,’ on the power of India’s unruly democracy, by Simon Denyer
In “Rogue Elephant,” Simon Denyer explores India’s raucous democracy and fitful governance. Read more on this news related to 'Fitful'
- Financial Times: Italy accused of blocking tougher sanctions on Russia
For much of the six-month stand-off over Ukraine, diplomats have described the west’s fitful response to Russian tactics as the product of a tug-of-war between hardliners in the US state department and a more reticent Germany. Read more on this news related to 'Fitful'