Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Fight'
- the act of fighting; any contest or struggle; "a fight broke out at the hockey game"; "there was fighting in the streets"; "the unhappy couple got into a terrible scrap" [syn: fighting, combat, scrap]
- an intense verbal dispute; "a violent fight over the bill is expected in the Senate"
- a boxing match; "the fight was on television last night" [syn: bout]
- a hostile meeting of opposing military forces in the course of a war; "Grant won a decisive victory in the battle of Chickamauga"; "he lost his romantic ideas about war when he got into a real engagement" [syn: battle, conflict, engagement]
- an aggressive willingness to compete; "the team was full of fight" [syn: competitiveness] v
- be engaged in a fight; carry on a fight; "the tribesmen fought each other"; "Siblings are always fighting" [syn: struggle]
- fight against or resist strongly; "The senator said he would oppose the bill"; "Don't fight it!" [syn: oppose, fight back, fight down, defend]
- make a strenuous or labored effort; "She struggled for years to survive without welfare"; "He fought for breath" [syn: struggle]
- exert oneself continuously, vigorously, or obtrusively to gain an end or engage in a crusade for a certain cause or person; be an advocate for; "The liberal party pushed for reforms"; "She is crusading for women's rights"; "The Dean is pushing for his favorite candidate" [syn: crusade, press, campaign, push, agitate] [also: fought]
- Fight \Fight\, n. [OE. fight, feht, AS. feoht. See Fight, v.
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Fight'?
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Fight'
Combat, or fighting, is purposeful violent conflict between two or more persons, groups or organizations, often intended to establish dominance over the opponent. The term "combat" typically means armed conflict between military forces in war. The more general term "fighting" can mean any violent conflict, including boxing and wrestling matches. Combat violence can be unilateral, fighting means that there is at least a defensive reaction. But the terms are often used synonymously.[See more about Fight at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Fight'
'Fight' in famous quotation sentence
* What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog. - Dwight D Eisenhower
* It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. - Mark Twain
Click here for more related quotations on 'Fight'
Fight Sample Sentences in News
- Chisora-Fury fight is off after sparring injury
Dereck Chisora has withdrawn from his European heavyweight title fight against Tyson Fury after fracturing his hand during a sparring session. ''I can't tell you how disappointed I am to have to pull out of the fight against Fury, but it is on the advice of my specialist that I have to do this,'' Chisora said Friday. ''Told you all what Read more on this news related to 'Fight'
- Chisora fractures hand, postpones Fury fight
Dereck Chisora fractured his left hand in his final sparring session and the fight against Tyson Fury was postponed, promoter Frank Warren announced Monday. Read more on this news related to 'Fight'
- Auntie Anne’s Continues Commitment to the Fight against Childhood Cancer
The facts are startling. One in every 330 children develops cancer before the age of 20. Auntie Anne’s is continuing the fight against childhood cancer by teaming up with Alex’s Le Read more on this news related to 'Fight'