Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Fight'
- the act of fighting; any contest or struggle; "a fight broke out at the hockey game"; "there was fighting in the streets"; "the unhappy couple got into a terrible scrap" [syn: fighting, combat, scrap]
- an intense verbal dispute; "a violent fight over the bill is expected in the Senate"
- a boxing match; "the fight was on television last night" [syn: bout]
- a hostile meeting of opposing military forces in the course of a war; "Grant won a decisive victory in the battle of Chickamauga"; "he lost his romantic ideas about war when he got into a real engagement" [syn: battle, conflict, engagement]
- an aggressive willingness to compete; "the team was full of fight" [syn: competitiveness] v
- be engaged in a fight; carry on a fight; "the tribesmen fought each other"; "Siblings are always fighting" [syn: struggle]
- fight against or resist strongly; "The senator said he would oppose the bill"; "Don't fight it!" [syn: oppose, fight back, fight down, defend]
- make a strenuous or labored effort; "She struggled for years to survive without welfare"; "He fought for breath" [syn: struggle]
- exert oneself continuously, vigorously, or obtrusively to gain an end or engage in a crusade for a certain cause or person; be an advocate for; "The liberal party pushed for reforms"; "She is crusading for women's rights"; "The Dean is pushing for his favorite candidate" [syn: crusade, press, campaign, push, agitate] [also: fought]
- Fight \Fight\, n. [OE. fight, feht, AS. feoht. See Fight, v.
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Fight'?
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Fight'
Combat, or fighting, is purposeful violent conflict between two or more persons, groups or organizations, often intended to establish dominance over the opponent. The term "combat" typically means armed conflict between military forces in war. The more general term "fighting" can mean any violent conflict, including boxing and wrestling matches. Combat violence can be unilateral, fighting means that there is at least a defensive reaction. But the terms are often used synonymously.[See more about Fight at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Fight'
'Fight' in famous quotation sentence
* What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog. - Dwight D Eisenhower
* It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. - Mark Twain
Click here for more related quotations on 'Fight'
Fight Sample Sentences in News
- UFC Fight Night 52 weigh in results, live stream
The official weigh-in event for UFC Fight Night 52: "Hunt vs. Nelson" takes place today (Fri., Sept. 19, 2014) from the Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan. Read more on this news related to 'Fight'
- UFC Fight Night 52: Latest odds and betting guide from Japan
Get a detailed breakdown of the betting lines for UFC Fight Night 52 mixed martial arts (MMA) event that is set to hit Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan, this weekend (Sat., Sept. 20, 2014), including best bets, underdogs, favorites and much more. Two of the most powerful punchers in the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Heavyweight division will do battle Read more on this news related to 'Fight'
- UFC Fight Night 52 'Prelims' preview and predictions, Pt. 2
More fights are coming to Fight Pass online digital network this weekend (Sat., Sept. 20, 2014) when UFC Fight Night 52: "Hunt vs. Nelson" kicks off from Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan. MMAmania.com's Patrick Stumberg continues our UFC Fight Night 52 "Prelims" party with the second (and final) part of a two-part under card preview se Read more on this news related to 'Fight'