Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Fight'
- the act of fighting; any contest or struggle; "a fight broke out at the hockey game"; "there was fighting in the streets"; "the unhappy couple got into a terrible scrap" [syn: fighting, combat, scrap]
- an intense verbal dispute; "a violent fight over the bill is expected in the Senate"
- a boxing match; "the fight was on television last night" [syn: bout]
- a hostile meeting of opposing military forces in the course of a war; "Grant won a decisive victory in the battle of Chickamauga"; "he lost his romantic ideas about war when he got into a real engagement" [syn: battle, conflict, engagement]
- an aggressive willingness to compete; "the team was full of fight" [syn: competitiveness] v
- be engaged in a fight; carry on a fight; "the tribesmen fought each other"; "Siblings are always fighting" [syn: struggle]
- fight against or resist strongly; "The senator said he would oppose the bill"; "Don't fight it!" [syn: oppose, fight back, fight down, defend]
- make a strenuous or labored effort; "She struggled for years to survive without welfare"; "He fought for breath" [syn: struggle]
- exert oneself continuously, vigorously, or obtrusively to gain an end or engage in a crusade for a certain cause or person; be an advocate for; "The liberal party pushed for reforms"; "She is crusading for women's rights"; "The Dean is pushing for his favorite candidate" [syn: crusade, press, campaign, push, agitate] [also: fought]
- Fight \Fight\, n. [OE. fight, feht, AS. feoht. See Fight, v.
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Fight'?
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Fight'
Combat, or fighting, is purposeful violent conflict between two or more persons, groups or organizations, often intended to establish dominance over the opponent. The term "combat" typically means armed conflict between military forces in war. The more general term "fighting" can mean any violent conflict, including boxing and wrestling matches. Combat violence can be unilateral, fighting means that there is at least a defensive reaction. But the terms are often used synonymously.[See more about Fight at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Fight'
'Fight' in famous quotation sentence
* What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog. - Dwight D Eisenhower
* It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. - Mark Twain
Click here for more related quotations on 'Fight'
Fight Sample Sentences in News
- Bob Arum says talks for a Mayweather-Pacquiao fight are ongoing
The Hall of Fame promoter said executives at Showtime and HBO have met to discuss the possibility of a bout between Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao, though there is a lot of skepticism about that statement. Read more on this news related to 'Fight'
- BREAKING: Olympian Henry Cejudo Withdraws, UFC 177 Fight with Scott Jorgensen Cancelled
The UFC 177 flyweight fight between former Olympian Henry Cejudo and veteran Scott Jorgensen has been cancelled mere hours prior to the event's weigh-in. “Due to medical reasons, debuting flyweight Henry Cejudo has been forced to withdraw from Saturday's UFC 177 bout against Scott Jorgensen in Sacramento,” read a statement from UFC officials on Friday. Read more on this news related to 'Fight'
- Manny Pacquiao considering drop in weight class following Chris Algieri fight
Since it appears he'll never fight Floyd Mayweather Jr., Pacquiao is willing to go down in weight to seek a big fight. Read more on this news related to 'Fight'