Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Fender'
- a barrier that surrounds the wheels of a vehicle to block splashing water or mud; "in England they call a fender a wing" [syn: wing]
- an inclined metal frame at the front of a locomotive to clear the track [syn: buffer, cowcatcher, pilot]
- a low metal guard to confine falling coals to a hearth
- a cushion-like device that reduces shock due to contact [syn: buffer]
- Fender \Fen"der\, n. [From Fend, v. t. & i., cf. Defender.]
One who or that which defends or protects by warding off
(a) A screen to prevent coals or sparks of an open fire from
escaping to the floor.
(b) Anything serving as a cushion to lessen the shock when a
vessel comes in contact with another vessel or a wharf.
(c) A screen to protect a carriage from mud thrown off the
wheels: also, a splashboard.
(d) Anything set up to protect an exposed angle, as of a
house, from damage by carriage wheels.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Fender'
Fender Musical Instruments Corporation of Scottsdale, Arizona is a manufacturer of stringed instruments and amplifiers, such as solid-body electric guitars, including the Stratocaster and the Telecaster. The company, previously named the Fender Electric Instrument Manufacturing Company, was founded in Fullerton, California, by Clarence Leonidas "Leo" Fender in 1946. Leo Fender also designed one of the first commercially successful solid-body electric basses, the Precision Bass (P-Bass), which has become known in rock, jazz, country, Motown, funk, and other types of music.
The company is a privately held corporation, with the controlling majority of its stock owned by a group of its own company officers and managers. William (Bill) Mendello is Chairman of the Board of Directors and Chief Executive Officer and James Broenen is Chief Financial Officer.[See more about Fender at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Fender'
Fender Sample Sentences in News
- Chris Brown gets into car crash in Los Angeles
Chris Brown got into a minor fender-bender Tuesday afternoon in Los Angeles, TMZ reports. Read more on this news related to 'Fender'
- Revered Rock Riff Turns 40; Fender Custom Shop Recreates Guitar to Commemorate “Smoke on the Water” Anniversary
May 2013 marks the 40th anniversary of Deep Purple's classic masterpiece "Smoke on the Water." More importantly, it signifies the ruby anniversary of what is believed to be the most popular and played guitar riff of all time. Read more on this news related to 'Fender'
- Chi-Cheemaun fender tender award expected later today
OWEN SOUND--The awarding of the contract to modify fenders for the Chi-Cheemaun ferry at the South Baymouth and Tobermory berths is expected sometime later today. The $292,000 contract was made possible when Minister of Northern Development and Mines Minister Michael Gravelle freed up the funds for the modifications despite an ongoing dispute over who is responsib Read more on this news related to 'Fender'