Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Fender'
- a barrier that surrounds the wheels of a vehicle to block splashing water or mud; "in England they call a fender a wing" [syn: wing]
- an inclined metal frame at the front of a locomotive to clear the track [syn: buffer, cowcatcher, pilot]
- a low metal guard to confine falling coals to a hearth
- a cushion-like device that reduces shock due to contact [syn: buffer]
- Fender \Fen"der\, n. [From Fend, v. t. & i., cf. Defender.]
One who or that which defends or protects by warding off
(a) A screen to prevent coals or sparks of an open fire from
escaping to the floor.
(b) Anything serving as a cushion to lessen the shock when a
vessel comes in contact with another vessel or a wharf.
(c) A screen to protect a carriage from mud thrown off the
wheels: also, a splashboard.
(d) Anything set up to protect an exposed angle, as of a
house, from damage by carriage wheels.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Fender'
Fender Musical Instruments Corporation of Scottsdale, Arizona is a manufacturer of stringed instruments and amplifiers, such as solid-body electric guitars, including the Stratocaster and the Telecaster. The company, previously named the Fender Electric Instrument Manufacturing Company, was founded in Fullerton, California, by Clarence Leonidas "Leo" Fender in 1946. Leo Fender also designed one of the first commercially successful solid-body electric basses, the Precision Bass (P-Bass), which has become known in rock, jazz, country, Motown, funk, and other types of music.
The company is a privately held corporation, with the controlling majority of its stock owned by a group of its own company officers and managers. William (Bill) Mendello is Chairman of the Board of Directors and Chief Executive Officer and James Broenen is Chief Financial Officer.[See more about Fender at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Fender'
Fender Sample Sentences in News
- Fender Bender in Vegas? Police Say You’re on Your Own
Rear-ended at a stop light in Las Vegas? Las Vegas Metro Police have stopped responding to fender benders, unless there is an injury. Vegas police say they’re too busy to respond to minor collisions, said KARN News Radio. Drivers are expected to trade insurance information after an accident and file a Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles accident report within 10 Read more on this news related to 'Fender'
- Winners, losers in Metro's new wreck policy
Metro Police’s policy change concerning fender benders can be summed up in three words — fend for yourself. Read more on this news related to 'Fender'
- Distinctive Fender guitar taken in Wolverhampton break-in
A distinctive Fender acoustic guitar was taken in a burglary at a Wolverhampton home Read more on this news related to 'Fender'