Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Feeling'
- the experiencing of affective and emotional states; "she had a feeling of euphoria"; "he had terrible feelings of guilt"; "I disliked him and the feeling was mutual"
- a vague idea in which some confidence is placed; "his impression of her was favorable"; "what are your feelings about the crisis?"; "it strengthened my belief in his sincerity"; "I had a feeling that she was lying" [syn: impression, belief, notion, opinion]
- the general atmosphere of a place or situation and the effect that it has on people; "the feel of the city excited him"; "a clergyman improved the tone of the meeting"; "it had the smell of treason" [syn: spirit, tone, feel, flavor, flavour, look, smell]
- a physical sensation that you experience; "he had a queasy feeling"; "I had a strange feeling in my leg"; "he lost all feeling in his arm"
- the sensation produced by pressure receptors in the skin; "she likes the touch of silk on her skin"; "the surface had a greasy feeling" [syn: touch, touch sensation, tactual sensation, tactile sensation]
- an intuitive understanding of something; "he had a great feeling for music" [syn: intuitive feeling]
- Feel \Feel\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Felt; p. pr. & vb. n.
Feeling.] [AS. f?lan; akin to OS. gif?lian to perceive, D.
voelen to feel, OHG. fuolen, G. f["u]hlen, Icel. f[=a]lma to
grope, and prob. to AS. folm paim of the hand, L. palma. Cf.
- To perceive by the touch; to take cognizance of by means of the nerves of sensation distributed all over the body, especially by those of the skin; to have sensation excited by contact of (a thing) with the body or limbs. Who feel Those rods of scorpions and those whips of steel. --Creecn.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Feeling'
Feeling is the nominalization of "to feel". The word was first used in the English language to describe the physical sensation of touch through either experience or perception. The word is also used to describe experiences, other than the physical sensation of touch, such as "a feeling of warmth".
Perception of the physical world does not necessarily result in a universal reaction among receivers (see emotions), but varies depending on one's tendency to handle the situation, how the situation relates to the receiver's past experiences, and any number of other factors. Feelings are also known as a state of consciousness, such as that resulting from emotions, sentiments or desires.
A gut feeling, or gut reaction, is a visceral emotional reaction to something, and often one of uneasiness. Gut feelings are generally regarded as not modulated by conscious thought, and as a reflection of intuition rather than rationality.[See more about Feeling at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Feeling'
'Feeling' in famous quotation sentence
* I have heard with admiring submission the experience of the lady who declared that the sense of being well-dressed gives a feeling of inward tranquillity which religion is powerless to bestow. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
* Laughing is the sensation of feeling good all over and showing it principally in one spot. - Josh Billings
Click here for more related quotations on 'Feeling'
Feeling Sample Sentences in News
- Exclusive survey: Small business isn't feeling recovery
Small business owners say they're not yet feeling the effects of an improving economy, and most aren't rushing to hire, or seeking funds to invest in their businesses. Read more on this news related to 'Feeling'
- Changed Brady feeling more confident than ever
Considering what a transcendent talent Tom Brady is, the career he's had, and that he turns 36 in 11 weeks, this statement he made to me over the weekend is significant: Read more on this news related to 'Feeling'
- Apple Feeling Pressure from Hedge Funds, Google
May 16 (Bloomberg) -- On today's "This vs. That," Bloomberg's Betty Liu looks at the pressure on Apple from hedge funds dropping shares of the company as the stock price fell, while Google announces a new streaming music service, beating iTunes to the market. Read more on this news related to 'Feeling'