Fat Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
- having much flesh (especially fat); "he hadn't remembered how fat she was" [ant: thin]
- having a relatively large diameter; "a fat rope"
- containing or composed of fat; "fatty food"; "fat tissue" [syn: fatty] [ant: nonfat]
- lucrative; "a juicy contract"; "a nice fat job" [syn: juicy]
- marked by great fruitfulness; "fertile farmland"; "a fat land"; "a productive vineyard"; "rich soil" [syn: fertile, productive, rich]
- a chubby body; "the boy had a rounded face and fat cheeks" [syn: rounded] n
- a soft greasy substance occurring in organic tissue and consisting of a mixture of lipids (mostly triglycerides); "pizza has too much fat"
- a kind of body tissue containing stored fat that serves as a source of energy; adipose tissue also cushions and insulates vital organs; "fatty tissue protected them from the severe cold" [syn: adipose tissue, fatty tissue]
- excess bodily weight; "she found fatness disgusting in herself as well as in others" [syn: fatness, blubber, avoirdupois] [ant: leanness] v : make fat or plump; "We will plump out that poor starving child" [syn: fatten, flesh out, fill out, plump, plump out, fatten out, fatten up] [also: fatting, fatted, fattest, fatter]
- Fat \Fat\, n.
- (Physiol. Chem.) An oily liquid or greasy substance making up the main bulk of the adipose tissue of animals, and widely distributed in the seeds of plants. See Adipose tissue, under Adipose. Note: Animal fats are composed mainly of three distinct fats, tristearin, tripalmitin, and triolein, mixed in varying
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Fat'?
Fat Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
Fat is something found in foods, and it is the most concentrated kind of energy that a human can use. It has 9 kilocalories in one gram. The other two types of energy that humans can use are carbohydrates and proteins. Those each have 4 kilocalories in one gram. The human body uses the fat to make the body bigger. The human eats healthy things like vegetables to nullify (stop) or reverse the effects of fat.
Fats can be solid (firm) or fluid at room temperature. For example, cooking oil is a type of fluid fat. Butter is a solid fat. Some fats come from animals, others come from plants. Fat from plants is called vegetable fat. Examples of vegetable fats are margarine and vegetable oil. Examples of animal fats are butter, cream and lard.
The different types of fats are saturated, unsaturated and trans fats. Trans fats are created in the food industry by treating other types of fats and giving them a different structure. This happens when oil is hardened to make margarine, for example. Many restaurants also use trans fats for deep-frying food. Trans fats are the most unhealthy fats to eat and can cause heart disease.[See more about Fat at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Fat'
'Fat' example sentence in quotations
* Happy Golf requires goofy pants and a fat ass. You should talk to my neighbor the accountant. Probably a great golfer. Huge ass. - Happy Gilmore
* A lean agreement is better than a fat lawsuit. - German proverb
Click here for more related quotations on 'Fat'