Fat Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- excess bodily weight; "she found fatness disgusting in herself as well as in others"
- a kind of body tissue containing stored fat that serves as a source of energy; adipose tissue also cushions and insulates vital organs; "fatty tissue protected them from the severe cold"
- a soft greasy substance occurring in organic tissue and consisting of a mixture of lipids (mostly triglycerides); "pizza has too much fat"
- make fat or plump; "We will plump out that poor starving child"
- a chubby body; "the boy had a rounded face and fat cheeks"
- having much flesh (especially fat); "he hadn''t remembered how fat she was"
- containing or composed of fat; "fatty food"; "fat tissue"
- marked by great fruitfulness; "fertile farmland"; "a fat land"; "a productive vineyard"; "rich soil"
- lucrative; "a juicy contract"; "a nice fat job"
- having a relatively large diameter; "a fat rope"
Definitions from Wiktionary
- a soft greasy substance occurring in organic tissue and consisting of a mixture of lipids (mostly triglycerides); "pizza has too much fat" ,
- a kind of body tissue containing stored fat that serves as a source of energy; it also cushions and insulates vital organs; "fatty tissue protected them from the severe cold" ,
- excess bodily weight; "she disliked fatness in herself as well as in others"
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Fat'?
Fat Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
Fat is one of the three main types of nutrient. Fats are found in many foods.They are made of macromolecules called lipids. Lipids are based on long-chain fatty acids. Some of these are essential because the body cannot make them.
The different types of fats are saturated, unsaturated and trans fats.
Unsaturated fatty acids are very important. They are called by where their double bond is placed. Omega-3 fatty acids (ω-3) and omega-6 fatty acids (ω-6) are essential: you need them both. They help build longer molecules which do cell signalling in different tissues. There are over 20 different signalling paths that control a wide array of bodily functions.
Fats also provide long term energy for humans and, in cold climates, a layer of insulation to keep the body warm. They help the body use the vitamins found in foods. Fats are also good for the skin and hair. Olive oil is an especially healthy fat. Many types of fish also contain healthy fat, for example salmon, sardines, herring, and tuna. But if too much fat collects in the body, a person can become too heavy. The energy given by fats is used by moving around or exercising. Some vegetables like celery or carrots contribute much less to the bodies fat supply. Though being very important for the human body, it can also harmful in large amounts.
Words and phrases related to 'Fat'
'Fat' example sentence in quotations
* Happy Golf requires goofy pants and a fat ass. You should talk to my neighbor the accountant. Probably a great golfer. Huge ass. - Happy Gilmore
* A lean agreement is better than a fat lawsuit. - German proverb
Click here for more related quotations on 'Fat'