Fat Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- excess bodily weight; "she found fatness disgusting in herself as well as in others"
- a kind of body tissue containing stored fat that serves as a source of energy; adipose tissue also cushions and insulates vital organs; "fatty tissue protected them from the severe cold"
- a soft greasy substance occurring in organic tissue and consisting of a mixture of lipids (mostly triglycerides); "pizza has too much fat"
- make fat or plump; "We will plump out that poor starving child"
- a chubby body; "the boy had a rounded face and fat cheeks"
- having much flesh (especially fat); "he hadn''t remembered how fat she was"
- containing or composed of fat; "fatty food"; "fat tissue"
- marked by great fruitfulness; "fertile farmland"; "a fat land"; "a productive vineyard"; "rich soil"
- lucrative; "a juicy contract"; "a nice fat job"
- having a relatively large diameter; "a fat rope"
Definitions from Wiktionary
- a soft greasy substance occurring in organic tissue and consisting of a mixture of lipids (mostly triglycerides); "pizza has too much fat" ,
- a kind of body tissue containing stored fat that serves as a source of energy; it also cushions and insulates vital organs; "fatty tissue protected them from the severe cold" ,
- excess bodily weight; "she disliked fatness in herself as well as in others"
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Fat'?
Fat Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
Fat is something found in foods, and it is the most concentrated kind of energy that a human can use. It has 9 kilocalories in one gram. The other two types of energy that humans can use are carbohydrates and proteins. Those each have 4 kilocalories in one gram. The human body uses the fat to make the body bigger. The human eats healthy things like vegetables to nullify (stop) or reverse the effects of fat.
Fats can be solid (firm) or fluid at room temperature. For example, cooking oil is a type of fluid fat. Butter is a solid fat. Some fats come from animals, others come from plants. Fat from plants is called vegetable fat. Examples of vegetable fats are margarine and vegetable oil. Examples of animal fats are butter, cream and lard.
The different types of fats are saturated, unsaturated and trans fats. Trans fats are created in the food industry by treating other types of fats and giving them a different structure. This happens when oil is hardened to make margarine, for example. Many restaurants also use trans fats for deep-frying food. Trans fats are the most unhealthy fats to eat and can cause heart disease.
Words and phrases related to 'Fat'
'Fat' example sentence in quotations
* Happy Golf requires goofy pants and a fat ass. You should talk to my neighbor the accountant. Probably a great golfer. Huge ass. - Happy Gilmore
* A lean agreement is better than a fat lawsuit. - German proverb
Click here for more related quotations on 'Fat'
Fat Sample Sentences in News
- Fat grafting technique improves results of breast augmentation
In women undergoing breast augmentation, a technique using transplantation of a small amount of the patient's own fat cells can produce better cosmetic outcomes, reports a study. In particular, the fat grafting technique can achieve a more natural-appearing cleavage -- avoiding the "separated breasts" appearance that can occur after breast augmentati Read more on this news related to 'Fat'
- Two different fat graft techniques have similar effects on facial skin
Two approaches to fat grafting—injection of fat cells versus fat-derived stem cells—have similar effects in reversing the cellular-level signs of aging skin, reports a study. The study included six middle-aged patients who were candidates for facelift surgery. All underwent fat grafting to a small area in front of the ear. Read more on this news related to 'Fat'
- Fat-tailed dwarf lemur offer clues to aging
Brooks Hays DURHAM, N.C., March 30 (UPI) -- The surprisingly long-living fat-tailed dwarf lemur reveals the secret of delayed aging -- hibernate, a lot. Read more on this news related to 'Fat'