Fail Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- get worse; "Her health is declining"
- stop operating or functioning; "The engine finally went"; "The car died on the road"; "The bus we travelled in broke down on the way to town"; "The coffee maker broke"; "The engine failed on the way to town"; "her eyesight went after the accident"
- prove insufficient; "The water supply for the town failed after a long drought"
- disappoint, prove undependable to; abandon, forsake; "His sense of smell failed him this time"; "His strength finally failed him"; "His children failed him in the crisis"
- become bankrupt or insolvent; fail financially and close; "The toy company went bankrupt after the competition hired cheap Mexican labor"; "A number of banks failed that year"
- fall short in what is expected; "She failed in her obligations as a good daughter-in-law"; "We must not fail his obligation to the victims of the Holocaust"
- fail to get a passing grade; "She studied hard but failed nevertheless"; "Did I fail the test?"
- judge unacceptable; "The teacher failed six students"
- be unsuccessful; "Where do today''s public schools fail?"; "The attempt to rescue the hostages failed miserably"
- fail to do something; leave something undone; "She failed to notice that her child was no longer in his crib"; "The secretary failed to call the customer and the company lost the account"
- be unable; "I fail to understand your motives"
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Fail'?
Fail Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
A failure (fail, or flop) is where a goal or mission is not completed. It can mean the opposite of success.
A commercial failure is a product that does not complete a goal.
Most of the items listed below had high expectations, but failed to be successful.
Product failure can be the failure to sell the product, or a problem with the product that may stop it from working after a while, or lead to the person using the product hurting themselves.
Words and phrases related to 'Fail'
'Fail' example sentence in quotations
* Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. - Sophocles
* There are some books that refuse to be written. They stand their ground year after year and will not be persuaded. It isn't because the book is not there and worth being written -- it is only because the right form of the story does not present itself. There is only one right form for a story and if you fail to find that form the story will not tell itself. - Mark Twain
Click here for more related quotations on 'Fail'
Fail Sample Sentences in News
- UMaine Fans Fail to Set World Record for Flannel
UMaine football fans fail to break world record for having the most people wearing flannel Read more on this news related to 'Fail'
- How Retirees Fail During The Holidays
Holidays come with expectations, some of which may be difficult for retirees to measure up to, especially those those associated with money and blended family dynamics. Read more on this news related to 'Fail'
- Negotiators fail to reach nuclear deal with Iran, extend talks
Six world powers and Iran failed to complete a deal to curb Tehran’s nuclear program by their Monday deadline, raising new risks for a year-long diplomatic effort to resolve one of the world’s most urgent security challenges. Read more on this news related to 'Fail'