Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Extravagance'
- the quality of exceeding the appropriate limits of decorum or probability or truth; "we were surprised by the extravagance of his description" [syn: extravagancy]
- the trait of spending extravagantly [syn: prodigality, profligacy]
- excessive spending [syn: prodigality, lavishness, highlife, high life]
- Extravagance \Ex*trav"a*gance\, n. [Cf. F. extravagance. See
Extravagant, and cf. Extravaganza.]
- A wandering beyond proper limits; an excursion or sally from the usual way, course, or limit.
- The state of being extravagant, wild, or prodigal beyond bounds of propriety or duty; want of moderation; excess; especially, undue expenditure of money; vaid and superfluous expense; prodigality; as, extravagance of anger, love, expression, imagination, demands. Some verses of my own, Maximin and Almanzor, cry vengeance on me for their extravagance. --Dryden. The income of three dukes was enough to supply her extravagance. --Arbuthnot. Syn: Wildness; irregularity; excess; prodigality; profusion; waste; lavishness; unreasonableness; recklessness.
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Extravagance'?
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Extravagance'
Eccentricity or extravagance is a word used to describe unusual behaviour in a person. People who have habits which people think is very strange may be called eccentric. Eccentric behaviour is not necessarily good or bad in itself.
Some clever people (geniuses) have behaviour which might be described as eccentric. It is not always clear whether behaviour is just eccentric or whether it is madness.
Famous people who were eccentric in their different ways include Albert Einstein, Nero, Ludwig II of Bavaria and Lord Berners.[See more about Extravagance at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Extravagance'
Extravagance Sample Sentences in News
- Michigan Men do not want fireworks after Michigan football games
Board of Regents rejects showy extravagance in the most Michigan Man way possible. Read more on this news related to 'Extravagance'
- Studios seek proof of Dotcom extravagance
Movie and music studios suing Kim Dotcom are seeking full disclosure of his assets, citing extravagant holidays, parties and his offer of a $5 million bounty to show he is still living extravagantly. Read more on this news related to 'Extravagance'
- China's luxury-car sales unaffected by gov't policy
The slowdown in economic growth and government efforts to curb extravagance will not affect sales of German luxury cars in China due to robust demand, according to a senior commerce official. Instead ..... Read more on this news related to 'Extravagance'