Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Extravagance'
- the quality of exceeding the appropriate limits of decorum or probability or truth; "we were surprised by the extravagance of his description" [syn: extravagancy]
- the trait of spending extravagantly [syn: prodigality, profligacy]
- excessive spending [syn: prodigality, lavishness, highlife, high life]
- Extravagance \Ex*trav"a*gance\, n. [Cf. F. extravagance. See
Extravagant, and cf. Extravaganza.]
- A wandering beyond proper limits; an excursion or sally from the usual way, course, or limit.
- The state of being extravagant, wild, or prodigal beyond bounds of propriety or duty; want of moderation; excess; especially, undue expenditure of money; vaid and superfluous expense; prodigality; as, extravagance of anger, love, expression, imagination, demands. Some verses of my own, Maximin and Almanzor, cry vengeance on me for their extravagance. --Dryden. The income of three dukes was enough to supply her extravagance. --Arbuthnot. Syn: Wildness; irregularity; excess; prodigality; profusion; waste; lavishness; unreasonableness; recklessness.
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Extravagance'?
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Extravagance'
Eccentricity or extravagance is a word used to describe unusual behaviour in a person. People who have habits which people think is very strange may be called eccentric. Eccentric behaviour is not necessarily good or bad in itself.
Some clever people (geniuses) have behaviour which might be described as eccentric. It is not always clear whether behaviour is just eccentric or whether it is madness.
Famous people who were eccentric in their different ways include Albert Einstein, Nero, Ludwig II of Bavaria and Lord Berners.[See more about Extravagance at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Extravagance'
Extravagance Sample Sentences in News
- Week in Reviews: Reader: Masada's 'Sensory Overload' Design At Odds With Uneven Menu
Masada The extravagance and "sensory overload" of Logan Square's Masada ends up making the food feel "of little importance," according to the Reader's Mike Sula. The critic writes that the space is "an impressive, even awe-inspiring structure" that guests... Read more on this news related to 'Extravagance'
- Celebrities in firing line as China steps up drug war
China is turning up the heat in a high-profile crackdown on drugs that has ensnared a string of celebrities, including the son of Hong Kong kungfu movie star Jackie Chan, as the government seeks to push forward a wider campaign against extravagance and decadence. Chinese President Xi Jinping has vowed to go after corruption and excess among the elite, a prime sour Read more on this news related to 'Extravagance'
- China announces cuts to executive salaries at state companies
China's top leaders decided on Friday to cut salaries and restrict expense accounts and other perks of executives at state-owned enterprises (SOEs), official media reported, as they pursue a crackdown on corruption and extravagance. The decision was taken at a meeting of top leaders of the ruling Communist Party of China (CPC) and chaired by party General Secr Read more on this news related to 'Extravagance'