Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Extravagance'
- the quality of exceeding the appropriate limits of decorum or probability or truth; "we were surprised by the extravagance of his description" [syn: extravagancy]
- the trait of spending extravagantly [syn: prodigality, profligacy]
- excessive spending [syn: prodigality, lavishness, highlife, high life]
- Extravagance \Ex*trav"a*gance\, n. [Cf. F. extravagance. See
Extravagant, and cf. Extravaganza.]
- A wandering beyond proper limits; an excursion or sally from the usual way, course, or limit.
- The state of being extravagant, wild, or prodigal beyond bounds of propriety or duty; want of moderation; excess; especially, undue expenditure of money; vaid and superfluous expense; prodigality; as, extravagance of anger, love, expression, imagination, demands. Some verses of my own, Maximin and Almanzor, cry vengeance on me for their extravagance. --Dryden. The income of three dukes was enough to supply her extravagance. --Arbuthnot. Syn: Wildness; irregularity; excess; prodigality; profusion; waste; lavishness; unreasonableness; recklessness.
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Extravagance'?
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Extravagance'
Eccentricity or extravagance is a word used to describe unusual behaviour in a person. People who have habits which people think is very strange may be called eccentric. Eccentric behaviour is not necessarily good or bad in itself.
Some clever people (geniuses) have behaviour which might be described as eccentric. It is not always clear whether behaviour is just eccentric or whether it is madness.
Famous people who were eccentric in their different ways include Albert Einstein, Nero, Ludwig II of Bavaria and Lord Berners.[See more about Extravagance at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Extravagance'
Extravagance Sample Sentences in News
- Officials spent more time at home amid frugality drive
China's campaign to fight bureaucracy and extravagance since late 2012 has cut as much as one-third of the feasts Chinese officials attend, according to a National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) official. Read more on this news related to 'Extravagance'
- CALLAHEAD Introduces Extravagance and Grandeur to the New York Portable Restroom Scene
From marble floors and granite countertops to individual stalls with flushable toilets, The Plaza Luxury Restroom Trailer delivers the ultimate luxurious experience to New York's special events. Designed with weddings, formal events, and corporate functions in mind, The Plaza Restroom Trailer cuts no corners and provides guests with every amenity desired. Read more on this news related to 'Extravagance'
- The taming of Chris Gayle - DAWN.COM
More than a year later, Gayle's recent batting philosophy has been to shun such extravagance and preserve his aggression for a delayed assault. -Photo by AFP Read more on this news related to 'Extravagance'