Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Examine'
- consider in detail and subject to an analysis in order to discover essential features or meaning; "analyze a sonnet by Shakespeare"; "analyze the evidence in a criminal trial"; "analyze your real motives" [syn: analyze, analyse, study, canvass, canvas]
- observe, check out, and look over carefully or inspect; "The customs agent examined the baggage"; "I must see your passport before you can enter the country" [syn: see]
- question or examine thoroughly and closely [syn: probe]
- question closely
- put to the test, as for its quality, or give experimental use to; "This approach has been tried with good results"; "Test this recipe" [syn: test, prove, try, try out, essay]
- Examine \Ex*am"ine\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Examined; p. pr. &
vb. n. Examining.] [L. examinare, examinatum, fr. examen,
examinis: cf. F. examiner. See Examen.]
- To test by any appropriate method; to inspect carefully with a view to discover the real character or state of; to subject to inquiry or inspection of particulars for the purpose of obtaining a fuller insight into the subject of examination, as a material substance, a fact, a reason, a cause, the truth of a statement; to inquire or search into; to explore; as, to examine a mineral; to examine a ship to know whether she is seaworthy; to examine a proposition, theory, or question. Examine well your own thoughts. --Chaucer. Examine their counsels and their cares. --Shak.
- To interrogate as in a judicial proceeding; to try or test by question; as, to examine a witness in order to elicit testimony, a student to test his qualifications, a bankrupt touching the state of his property, etc. The offenders that are to be examined. --Shak. Syn: To discuss; debate; scrutinize; search into; investigate; explore. See Discuss.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Examine'
A test or an examination (or "exam") is an assessment intended to measure a test-taker's knowledge, skill, aptitude, physical fitness, or classification in many other topics (e.g., beliefs). In practice, a test may be administered orally, on paper, on a computer, or in a confined area that requires a test taker to physically perform a set of skills. The basic component of a test is an item, which is sometimes colloquially referred to as a "question." Nevertheless, not every item is phrased as a question given that an item may be phrased as a true/false statement or as a task that must be performed (in a performance test). In many formal standardized tests, a test item is often retrievable from an item bank.
Test vary in style, rigor and requirements. For example, in a closed book test, a test taker is often required to rely upon memory to respond to specific items whereas in an open book test, a test taker may use one or more supplementary tools such as a reference book or calculator when responding to an item. A test may be administered formally or informally. An example of an informal test would be a reading test administered by a parent to a child. An example of a formal test would be a final examination administered by a teacher in a classroom or an I.Q. test administered by a psychologist in a clinic. Formal testing often results in a grade or a test score. A test score may be interpreted with regards to a norm or criterion, or occasionally both. The norm may be established independently, or by statistical analysis of a large number of participants.[See more about Examine at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Examine'
'Examine' in famous quotation sentence
* Before we set our hearts too much on anything, let us examine how happy are those who already possess it. - La Rochefoucauld
* When we see men of a contrary character, we should turn inwards and examine ourselves. - Confucius
Click here for more related quotations on 'Examine'
Examine Sample Sentences in News
- Exterro Federal Webcast Series to Examine E-Discovery Trends Across the U.S.
Exterro®, the leading provider of unified electronic discovery software, today announced its summer webcast series, which will explore e-discovery trends across the United States. Beginning with the first ... Read more on this news related to 'Examine'
- VSAT Latin America to Examine the Demand Drivers for VSAT Services in Latin America
Informa Telecoms & Media in partnership with telecommunications consultancy company COMSYS have announced the agenda for the first-ever VSAT Latin America event, taking place from 2–3 July 2013 at The Grand Hyatt Hotel, Sao Paulo, Brazil. Read more on this news related to 'Examine'
- Meridian continues to examine allegations of test-tampering
Charter school was among four flagged for cheating on 2012 tests, had inexplicably high erasures. Read more on this news related to 'Examine'