Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Examine'
- consider in detail and subject to an analysis in order to discover essential features or meaning; "analyze a sonnet by Shakespeare"; "analyze the evidence in a criminal trial"; "analyze your real motives" [syn: analyze, analyse, study, canvass, canvas]
- observe, check out, and look over carefully or inspect; "The customs agent examined the baggage"; "I must see your passport before you can enter the country" [syn: see]
- question or examine thoroughly and closely [syn: probe]
- question closely
- put to the test, as for its quality, or give experimental use to; "This approach has been tried with good results"; "Test this recipe" [syn: test, prove, try, try out, essay]
- Examine \Ex*am"ine\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Examined; p. pr. &
vb. n. Examining.] [L. examinare, examinatum, fr. examen,
examinis: cf. F. examiner. See Examen.]
- To test by any appropriate method; to inspect carefully with a view to discover the real character or state of; to subject to inquiry or inspection of particulars for the purpose of obtaining a fuller insight into the subject of examination, as a material substance, a fact, a reason, a cause, the truth of a statement; to inquire or search into; to explore; as, to examine a mineral; to examine a ship to know whether she is seaworthy; to examine a proposition, theory, or question. Examine well your own thoughts. --Chaucer. Examine their counsels and their cares. --Shak.
- To interrogate as in a judicial proceeding; to try or test by question; as, to examine a witness in order to elicit testimony, a student to test his qualifications, a bankrupt touching the state of his property, etc. The offenders that are to be examined. --Shak. Syn: To discuss; debate; scrutinize; search into; investigate; explore. See Discuss.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Examine'
A test or an examination (or "exam") is an assessment intended to measure a test-taker's knowledge, skill, aptitude, physical fitness, or classification in many other topics (e.g., beliefs). In practice, a test may be administered orally, on paper, on a computer, or in a confined area that requires a test taker to physically perform a set of skills. The basic component of a test is an item, which is sometimes colloquially referred to as a "question." Nevertheless, not every item is phrased as a question given that an item may be phrased as a true/false statement or as a task that must be performed (in a performance test). In many formal standardized tests, a test item is often retrievable from an item bank.
Test vary in style, rigor and requirements. For example, in a closed book test, a test taker is often required to rely upon memory to respond to specific items whereas in an open book test, a test taker may use one or more supplementary tools such as a reference book or calculator when responding to an item. A test may be administered formally or informally. An example of an informal test would be a reading test administered by a parent to a child. An example of a formal test would be a final examination administered by a teacher in a classroom or an I.Q. test administered by a psychologist in a clinic. Formal testing often results in a grade or a test score. A test score may be interpreted with regards to a norm or criterion, or occasionally both. The norm may be established independently, or by statistical analysis of a large number of participants.[See more about Examine at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Examine'
'Examine' in famous quotation sentence
* Before we set our hearts too much on anything, let us examine how happy are those who already possess it. - La Rochefoucauld
* When we see men of a contrary character, we should turn inwards and examine ourselves. - Confucius
Click here for more related quotations on 'Examine'
Examine Sample Sentences in News
- Dolan: Pope Wants Church To Examine Causes for Gay Unions
Cardinal Timothy Dolan of New York said Sunday that Pope Francis believes the Catholic Church needs to examine why some states are choosing to legalize civil unions of gay couples. But the pontiff has not expressed approval of such unions, Dolan said. Read more on this news related to 'Examine'
- Jamaica panel to examine bloody 2010 security raid
KINGSTON, Jamaica (AP) — Jamaica appointed a fact-finding panel Monday to examine a May 2010 operation by security forces that killed more than 70 citizens in gritty slums during a state of emergency on the Caribbean island. Read more on this news related to 'Examine'
- Cary plans to examine water service line rules
CARY – A winter that has left a deep frost in the ground and frozen water service lines is leading Cary to examine its policy on fixing those lines. Read more on this news related to 'Examine'