Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Examine'
- consider in detail and subject to an analysis in order to discover essential features or meaning; "analyze a sonnet by Shakespeare"; "analyze the evidence in a criminal trial"; "analyze your real motives" [syn: analyze, analyse, study, canvass, canvas]
- observe, check out, and look over carefully or inspect; "The customs agent examined the baggage"; "I must see your passport before you can enter the country" [syn: see]
- question or examine thoroughly and closely [syn: probe]
- question closely
- put to the test, as for its quality, or give experimental use to; "This approach has been tried with good results"; "Test this recipe" [syn: test, prove, try, try out, essay]
- Examine \Ex*am"ine\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Examined; p. pr. &
vb. n. Examining.] [L. examinare, examinatum, fr. examen,
examinis: cf. F. examiner. See Examen.]
- To test by any appropriate method; to inspect carefully with a view to discover the real character or state of; to subject to inquiry or inspection of particulars for the purpose of obtaining a fuller insight into the subject of examination, as a material substance, a fact, a reason, a cause, the truth of a statement; to inquire or search into; to explore; as, to examine a mineral; to examine a ship to know whether she is seaworthy; to examine a proposition, theory, or question. Examine well your own thoughts. --Chaucer. Examine their counsels and their cares. --Shak.
- To interrogate as in a judicial proceeding; to try or test by question; as, to examine a witness in order to elicit testimony, a student to test his qualifications, a bankrupt touching the state of his property, etc. The offenders that are to be examined. --Shak. Syn: To discuss; debate; scrutinize; search into; investigate; explore. See Discuss.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Examine'
A test or an examination (or "exam") is an assessment intended to measure a test-taker's knowledge, skill, aptitude, physical fitness, or classification in many other topics (e.g., beliefs). In practice, a test may be administered orally, on paper, on a computer, or in a confined area that requires a test taker to physically perform a set of skills. The basic component of a test is an item, which is sometimes colloquially referred to as a "question." Nevertheless, not every item is phrased as a question given that an item may be phrased as a true/false statement or as a task that must be performed (in a performance test). In many formal standardized tests, a test item is often retrievable from an item bank.
Test vary in style, rigor and requirements. For example, in a closed book test, a test taker is often required to rely upon memory to respond to specific items whereas in an open book test, a test taker may use one or more supplementary tools such as a reference book or calculator when responding to an item. A test may be administered formally or informally. An example of an informal test would be a reading test administered by a parent to a child. An example of a formal test would be a final examination administered by a teacher in a classroom or an I.Q. test administered by a psychologist in a clinic. Formal testing often results in a grade or a test score. A test score may be interpreted with regards to a norm or criterion, or occasionally both. The norm may be established independently, or by statistical analysis of a large number of participants.[See more about Examine at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Examine'
'Examine' in famous quotation sentence
* Before we set our hearts too much on anything, let us examine how happy are those who already possess it. - La Rochefoucauld
* When we see men of a contrary character, we should turn inwards and examine ourselves. - Confucius
Click here for more related quotations on 'Examine'
Examine Sample Sentences in News
- Senators examine testing, curriculum overhaul
Senators examine testing, curriculum overhaul AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — The state Senate Education Committee will assess implementation of a new law overhauling high school curriculum and cutting the number of standardized tests students must pass. Read more on this news related to 'Examine'
- Takeda Presents Additional Data from the EXAMINE Cardiovascular Safety Outcomes Trial at the American College of ...
Takeda Presents Additional Data from the EXAMINE Cardiovascular Safety Outcomes Trial at the American College of Cardiology's 63rd Annual Scientific Session Read more on this news related to 'Examine'
- Vivendi 'will examine Bouygues offer' - report
Vivendi will examine the latest Bouygues offer for its SFR telecoms subsidiary "with all the necessary rigour" while respecting a three-week exclusivity period for negotiations with a rival bidder, newspaper le Figaro said on Thursday. Vivendi's chairman, Jean-Rene Fourtou, sent a letter dated March 24 to Martin Bouygues, chief executive of the const Read more on this news related to 'Examine'