Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Evasion'
Evasion Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- a statement that is not literally false but that cleverly avoids an unpleasant truth [syn: equivocation]
- the deliberate act of failing to pay money; "his evasion of all his creditors"; "he was indicted for nonpayment" [syn: nonpayment] [ant: payment]
- nonperformance of something distasteful (as by deceit or trickery) that you are supposed to do; "his evasion of his clear duty was reprehensible"; "that escape from the consequences is possible but unattractive" [syn: escape, dodging]
- the act of physically escaping from something (an opponent or a pursuer or an unpleasant situation) by some adroit maneuver
- Evasion \E*va"sion\, n. [L. evasio: cf. F. ['e]vasion. See
The act of eluding or avoiding, particularly the pressure of
an argument, accusation, charge, or interrogation; artful
means of eluding.
Thou . . . by evasions thy crime uncoverest more.
Syn: Shift; subterfuge; shuffling; prevarication;
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Evasion'
- Evasion: Evasion may refer to: Évasion , a Canadian French-language travel and adventure television channel. Evasion (ethics), a deceptive act ...
- Tax avoidance and tax evasion: By contrast, tax evasion is the general term for efforts not to pay taxes by illegal means. The term tax mitigation is a synonym for tax ...
- Evasion (book): Evasion is a book that spun off from a zine of the same name. It was published by CrimethInc. in 2003. "the Evasion Kid", or "Mac Evasion." ...
- Evasion (law): In law , the Doctrine of Evasion is a fundamental public policy . Whereas a person may legitimately plan his or her affairs so as to avoid ...
- Evasion (ethics): Evasion is, in ethics, an act that deceives by stating a true statement that is irrelevant or leads to a false conclusion. For instance, a ...
- Fare evasion: Fare evasion, as distinct from fare avoidance , is the act of travelling on public transport in disregard of the law and/or regulation , ...
- Pursuit-evasion: Pursuit-evasion (variants of which are referred to as cops and robbers and graph searching) is a family of problems in mathematics and ...
Words and phrases related to 'Evasion'
Evasion Sample Sentences in News
- 'Credit Suisse subpoened in tax-evasion probe'
A New York regulator probing Credit Suisse's role in enabling tax evasion has demanded a trove of additional documents from the bank, a person familiar with the situation said Tuesday. Benjamin Lawsky, New York's superintendent of financial services, last week subpoenaed Credit Suisse for banker's emails, hard drives, personnel records, travel records, Read more on this news related to 'Evasion'
- New proposals to fight tax evasion
Chancellor George Osborne sets out plans to clamp down on tax evasion by British residents who hide their money overseas. Read more on this news related to 'Evasion'
- New US tax-evasion probe against Credit Suisse: source
Credit Suisse faces a new probe over its role in enabling US tax evasion, this time from a New York state regulator, a person familiar with the matter said Monday. Benjamin Lawsky, New York's superintendent of financial services, suspects Credit Suisse officials in New York of "misrepresentations" to state regulators over its role in enabling US citi Read more on this news related to 'Evasion'