Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Esurient'
- extremely hungry; "they were tired and famished for food and sleep"; "a ravenous boy"; "the family was starved and ragged"; "fell into the esurient embrance of a predatory enemy" [syn: famished, ravenous, sharp-set, starved]
- (often followed by `for') ardently or excessively desirous; "avid for adventure"; "an avid ambition to succeed"; "fierce devouring affection"; "the esurient eyes of an avid curiosity"; "greedy for fame" [syn: avid, devouring(a), greedy]
- devouring or craving food in great quantities; "edacious vultures"; "a rapacious appetite"; "ravenous as wolves"; "voracious sharks" [syn: edacious, rapacious, ravening, ravenous, voracious, wolfish]
- Esurient \E*su"ri*ent\, a. [L. esuriens, p. pr. of ensurire, fr.
edere to eat.]
Inclined to eat; hungry; voracious. [R.] --Bailey. ``Poor,
but esurient.'' --Carlyle.
- Esurient \E*su"ri*ent\, n.
One who is hungry or greedy. [R.]
An insatiable esurient after riches. --Wood.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Esurient'
Esurient Communications was an independent record label based in London in the 1980s and 1990s.
Esurient Communications was a record label founded by Kevin Pearce, of the 'Hungry Beat' fanzine. The label released records by the Jasmine Minks, The Claim, Liverpool band Hellfire Sermons and ex-Creation Records artists, Emily. The label was also an early touchstone for the Manic Street Preachers and hosted their first London shows supporting both The Claim and Emily in tiny rooms above various pubs in London's West End. Ultimately Pearce's purist vision could not single-handedly turn over both the mainstream music industry and its safe alternative variant and the label folded in 1991. Pearce went on to write 'Something Beginning With O' which examined the place of real emotion in pop music through detailed and impassioned readings of Dexys Midnight Runners, Paul Weller and Subway Sect.[See more about Esurient at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Esurient'