Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Erratic'
Erratic Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- having no fixed course; "an erratic comet"; "his life followed a wandering course"; "a planetary vagabond" [syn: planetary, wandering]
- liable to sudden unpredictable change; "erratic behavior"; "fickle weather"; "mercurial twists of temperament"; "a quicksilver character, cool and willful at one moment, utterly fragile the next" [syn: fickle, mercurial, quicksilver(a)]
- likely to perform unpredictably; "erratic winds are the bane of a sailor"; "a temperamental motor; sometimes it would start and sometimes it wouldn't"; "that beautiful but temperamental instrument the flute"- Osbert Lancaster [syn: temperamental]
- Erratic \Er*rat"ic\, n.
- One who deviates from common and accepted opinions; one who is eccentric or preserve in his intellectual character.
- Erratic \Er*rat"ic\, a. [L. erraticus, fr. errare to wander: cf.
F. erratique. See Err.]
- Having no certain course; roving about without a fixed destination; wandering; moving; -- hence, applied to the planets as distinguished from the fixed stars. The earth and each erratic world. --Blackmore.
- Deviating from a wise of the common course in opinion or conduct; eccentric; strange; queer; as, erratic conduct.
- Irregular; changeable. ``Erratic fever.'' --Harvey. Erratic blocks, gravel, etc. (Geol.), masses of stone which have been transported from their original resting places by the agency of water, ice, or other causes. Erratic phenomena, the phenomena which relate to transported materials on the earth's surface.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Erratic'
- Erratic: Erratic can refer to: Erratic, a project of music artist Jan Robbe Glacial erratic , a piece of rock. Erratic ant , a species-
- Glacial erratic: A glacial erratic is a piece of rock that differs from the size and type of rock native to the area in which it rests. "Erratics " take ...
- Big Rock (glacial erratic): Big Rock (also known as Okotoks Erratic) is a glacial erratic situated between the towns of Okotoks and Black Diamond , Alberta , Canada ...
- Erratic ant: The erratic ant (Tapinoma erraticum) is a species of dolichoderine ant first described in 1789 by Latreille . This species ranges ...
- Erratic Point: Erratic Point is a small, moss -covered point at the head of South West Bay , 1.3 nautical miles (2.4 km) northeast of Cape Gazert , on ...
- Erratic Valley: Erratic Valley (70 | 47 | S | 68 | 25 | W |) is a short valley that joins Ablation Valley , Alexander Island , from the north. ...
- Erratic Rock State Natural Site: Erratic Rock State Natural Site is a state park in the Willamette Valley of Oregon , United States . adj on glacial erratic from the ...
- Foothills Erratics Train: The Foothills Erratics Train is a landscape feature of Alberta which is composed of thousands of boulders in a 644 kilometre chain ranging ...
Words and phrases related to 'Erratic'