Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Epic'
Epic Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- very imposing or impressive; surpassing the ordinary (especially in size or scale); "an epic voyage"; "of heroic proportions"; "heroic sculpture" [syn: heroic, larger-than-life]
- constituting or having to do with or suggestive of a literary epic; "epic tradition" [syn: epical] n : a long narrative poem telling of a hero's deeds [syn: epic poem, heroic poem, epos]
- Epic \Ep"ic\, n.
An epic or heroic poem. See Epic, a.
- Epic \Ep"ic\, a. [L. epicus, Gr. ?, from ? a word, speech, tale,
song; akin to L. vox voice: cf. F. ['e]pique. See Voice.]
Narrated in a grand style; pertaining to or designating a
kind of narrative poem, usually called an heroic poem, in
which real or fictitious events, usually the achievements of
some hero, are narrated in an elevated style.
The epic poem treats of one great, complex action, in a
grand style and with fullness of detail. --T. Arnold.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Epic'
- EPICS: External links : gov/epics/ EPICS website. http://www. epics. org EPICS website Canada. Asian users. http://www-acc. kek. jp/WWW-ACC-exp/KEKB/control/ ...
- Epic: Epic may refer to: Film and literature : Epic poetry , a style of poetry. Epic (story), stories depicting a series of heroic feats ...
- EPIC: EPIC may refer to: Technology : Explicitly parallel instruction computing , a design philosophy based on VLIW used in Itanium CPUs ...
- Epic Records: Epic Records is an American record label , owned by Sony Music Entertainment , which operates under the umbrella of the Columbia/Epic ...
- Epic poetry: An epic (from the Ancient Greek adjective ἐπικός (epikos), from ἔπος (epos) "word, story, poem) is a lengthy narrative poem , ordinarily ...
- Indian epic poetry: Indian epic poetry is the epic poetry written in the Indian subcontinent , mostly based on "itihasa (Sanskrit : Itihāsa, "historical event ...
- Epic film: An epic is a genre of film that emphasizes human drama on a grand scale. Epics are more ambitious in scope than other film genres, and ...
- Epic Games: Epic Games, also known as Epic and formerly Epic MegaGames, is an American video game development company based in Cary, North Carolina ...
- Epic Comics: Epic Comics (also known as the Epic Comics Group was a creator-owned imprint of Marvel Comics started in 1982, lasting through the mid- ...
- Epic of Gilgamesh: The Epic of Gilgamesh is epic poetry from Mesopotamia and is among the earliest known works of literature . longer Akkadian epic much later. ...
Words and phrases related to 'Epic'
Epic Sample Sentences in News
- Fitch Rates EPIC BPI-Group 'AA+'; Outlook Stable
PARIS, April 17 Fitch Ratings has assigned EPIC BPI-Group Long-term foreign and local currency Issuer Default Ratings of 'AA+' with a Stable Outlook, and its Short-term foreign currency IDR of 'F1+'. Fitch ... Read more on this news related to 'Epic'
- TRAILER: Epic Adventure 'Jupiter Ascending'
The futuristic sci-fi epic Jupiter Ascending stars Mila Kunis as Jupiter Jones, an impoverished young woman who is heir to an extraordinary destiny that could potentially change the balance of Read more on this news related to 'Epic'
- Really Epic Ventures Awards Utah Entrepreneur Challenge "Innovator Sponsorship" Prize Package To Alterniity
SALT LAKE CITY, April 22, 2014 /Emag.co.uk/ — Really Epic Ventures, a partner of Red Touch Media, the Salt Lake City-based technology company behind the… via Emag.co.uk Read more on this news related to 'Epic'