Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Elocution'
n : an expert manner of speaking involving control of voice and
- Elocution \El`o*cu"tion\, n. [L. elocutio, fr. eloqui, elocutus,
to speak out: cf. F. ['e]locution. See Eloquent.]
- Utterance by speech. [R.] [Fruit] whose taste . . . Gave elocution to the mute, and taught The tongue not made for speech to speak thy praise. --Milton.
- Oratorical or expressive delivery, including the graces of intonation, gesture, etc.; style or manner of speaking or reading in public; as, clear, impressive elocution. ``The elocution of a reader.'' --Whately
- Suitable and impressive writing or style; eloquent diction. [Obs.] To express these thoughts with elocution. --Dryden.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Elocution'
Elocution is the study of formal speaking in pronunciation, grammar, style, and tone.
In Western classical rhetoric, elocution was one of the five core disciplines of pronunciation, which was the art of delivering speeches. Orators were trained not only on proper diction, but on the proper use of gestures, stance, and dress. (Another area of rhetoric, elocutio, was unrelated to elocution and, instead, concerned the style of writing proper to discourse.)
Elocution emerged as a formal discipline during the eighteenth century. One of its important figures was Thomas Sheridan, actor and father of Richard Brinsley Sheridan. Thomas Sheridan's lectures on elocution, collected in Lectures on Elocution (1762) and his Lectures on Reading (1775), provided directions for marking and reading aloud passages from literature. Another actor, John Walker, published his two-volume Elements of Elocution in 1781, which provided detailed instruction on voice control, gestures, pronunciation, and emphasis.[See more about Elocution at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Elocution'
Elocution Sample Sentences in News
- Designer debuts in elocution on womanhood
Kolkata, Mar 7 (PTI) In an extension of her role to recreate new linens, fashion designer Sharbari Dutta will now infuse vocal renditions to blend aesthetics with utility. Read more on this news related to 'Elocution'
- In a few days, I will move base to Gurgaon: Yogendra Yadav
Till recently, he was the man who would appear on national television after every election and decode the complex tallies for viewers, his elocution and crisp analysis a welcome relief after the cacophony of high-pitched poll campaigns. Read more on this news related to 'Elocution'