Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Drifting'
Drifting Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- continually changing especially as from one abode or occupation to another; "a drifting double-dealer"; "the floating population"; "vagrant hippies of the sixties" [syn: aimless, floating, vagabond, vagrant]
- afloat on the surface of a body of water; "after the storm the boats were adrift" [syn: adrift(p), drifting(a)] n : aimless wandering from place to place
- Drift \Drift\, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Drifted; p. pr. & vb. n.
- To float or be driven along by, or as by, a current of water or air; as, the ship drifted astern; a raft drifted ashore; the balloon drifts slowly east. We drifted o'er the harbor bar. -- Coleridge.
- To accumulate in heaps by the force of wind; to be driven into heaps; as, snow or sand drifts.
- (mining) to make a drift; to examine a vein or ledge for the purpose of ascertaining the presence of metals or ores; to follow a vein; to prospect. [U.S.]
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Drifting'
- Drifting (motorsport): Drifting refers to a driving technique and to a motorsport where the driver ... A car is drifting when the rear slip angle is greater than ...
- Drifting (film): Drifting is a 1923 drama film directed by Tod Browning Cast : Priscilla Dean - Cassie Cook / Lucille Preston. Matt Moore - Capt. ...
- Drifting (Salmonella Dub song): "Drifting" is a single by New Zealand dub group Salmonella Dub released in 1999. Track listings ": "Drifting" (Radio Edit)" "Drifting" (Side ...
Words and phrases related to 'Drifting'
Drifting Sample Sentences in News
- Stocks drift higher into long weekend
Stocks are drifting higher into Labor Day as investors shrug off geopolitical risks with major economic news coming next week. S&P 500 futures are up about 0.25 percent and back near their highs from earlier ... Read more on this news related to 'Drifting'
- Stocks drift higher; S&P 500 holds on to 2,000
Stocks are drifting mostly higher as a main U.S. index sets a record for a third day in a row. Read more on this news related to 'Drifting'
- Fickle ice may explain Franklin ghost ship mystery
ABOARD CCGS SIR WILFRID LAURIER—One of the many mysteries of the lost Franklin expedition is the story of a three-masted ghost ship that Inuit hunters saw drifting southward in deadly silence. Before the last of Sir John Franklin’s 128 men died on their ill-fated mid-19th century mission to navigate the entire Northwest Passage, one of his officers wrote a bri Read more on this news related to 'Drifting'