Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Dogma'
- a religious doctrine that is proclaimed as true without proof [syn: tenet]
- a doctrine or code of beliefs accepted as authoritative; "he believed all the Marxist dogma" [also: dogmata (pl)]
- Dogma \Dog"ma\, n.; pl. E. Dogmas, L. Dogmata. [L. dogma,
Gr. ?, pl. ?, fr. ? to think, seem, appear; akin to L. decet
it is becoming. Cf. Decent.]
- That which is held as an opinion; a tenet; a doctrine. The obscure and loose dogmas of early antiquity. -- Whewell.
- A formally stated and authoritatively settled doctrine; a definite, established, and authoritative tenet.
- A doctrinal notion asserted without regard to evidence or truth; an arbitrary dictum. Syn: tenet; opinion; proposition; doctrine. Usage: -- Dogma, Tenet. A tenet is that which is maintained as true with great firmness; as, the tenets of our holy religion. A dogma is that which is laid down with authority as indubitably true, especially a religious doctrine; as, the dogmas of the church. A tenet rests on its own intrinsic merits or demerits; a dogma rests on authority regarded as competent to decide and determine. Dogma has in our language acquired, to some extent, a repulsive sense, from its carrying with it the idea of undue authority or assumption. This is more fully the case with its derivatives dogmatical and dogmatism.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Dogma'
Dogma is the established belief or doctrine held by a religion, or by extension by some other group or organization. It is authoritative and not to be disputed, doubted, or diverged from, by the practitioner or believers. The term derives from Greek δόγμα "that which seems to one, opinion or belief" The plural is either dogmas or dogmata , from Greek δόγματα. dogmata is more etymologically correct, thus preferred.
Dogmata are found in religions such as Judaism, Christianity, and Islam, where they are considered core principles that must be upheld by all followers of that religion. As a fundamental element of religion, the term "dogma" is assigned to those theological tenets which are considered to be well demonstrated, such that their proposed disputation or revision effectively means that a person no longer accepts the given religion as his or her own, or has entered into a period of personal doubt. Dogma is distinguished from theological opinion regarding those things considered less well-known. Dogmata may be clarified and elaborated but not contradicted in novel teachings (e.g., Galatians 1:8-9). Rejection of dogma may lead to expulsion from a religious group.[See more about Dogma at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Dogma'
'Dogma' in famous quotation sentence
* It is in the uncompromisingness with which dogma is held and not in the dogma, or want of dogma, that the danger lies. - Samuel Butler
* The common dogma of fundamentalists is fear of modern knowledge, inability to cope with the fast change in a scientific-technological society, and the real breakdown in apparent moral order in recent years.... That is why hate is the major fuel, fear is the cement of the movement, and superstitious ignorance is the best defence against the dangerous new knowledge. ... When you bring up arguments that cast serious doubts on their cherished beliefs you are not simply making a rhetorical point, you are threatening their whole Universe and their immortality. That provokes anger and quite frequently violence. ... Unfortunately you cannot reason with them and you even risk violence in confronting them. Their numbers will decline only when society stabilizes, and adapts to modernity. - G Gaia
Click here for more related quotations on 'Dogma'
Dogma Sample Sentences in News
- tennessee fux0r sure dogma
Urgent support needed for West Papua Media monitoring costs as crackdown intensifies. Last article cost over 400 Kina in phone calls, but was necessary. Read more on this news related to 'Dogma'
- Immunologists from the University of Bonn topple dogma
An international team of scientists under the leadership of the University of Bonn disproves a dogma: To date, immunologists have assumed that the macrophages functioning as 'scavenger cells' can be classified into two different forms. In an extensive search, the researchers have now discovered that these immune cells turn into far more different manifesta Read more on this news related to 'Dogma'
- 'Challenge the dogma associated with women'
Reformation on attitudes against women stressed The path towards empowerment of women begins with challenging the rationale that has been taught about women for generations, said Corinne Kumar, founder member of Vimochana, here on Friday. She was delivering the key-note address on a workshop 'Atrocities on women: Gender-Law- Resistance', organised as part Read more on this news related to 'Dogma'