Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Dogma'
- a religious doctrine that is proclaimed as true without proof [syn: tenet]
- a doctrine or code of beliefs accepted as authoritative; "he believed all the Marxist dogma" [also: dogmata (pl)]
- Dogma \Dog"ma\, n.; pl. E. Dogmas, L. Dogmata. [L. dogma,
Gr. ?, pl. ?, fr. ? to think, seem, appear; akin to L. decet
it is becoming. Cf. Decent.]
- That which is held as an opinion; a tenet; a doctrine. The obscure and loose dogmas of early antiquity. -- Whewell.
- A formally stated and authoritatively settled doctrine; a definite, established, and authoritative tenet.
- A doctrinal notion asserted without regard to evidence or truth; an arbitrary dictum. Syn: tenet; opinion; proposition; doctrine. Usage: -- Dogma, Tenet. A tenet is that which is maintained as true with great firmness; as, the tenets of our holy religion. A dogma is that which is laid down with authority as indubitably true, especially a religious doctrine; as, the dogmas of the church. A tenet rests on its own intrinsic merits or demerits; a dogma rests on authority regarded as competent to decide and determine. Dogma has in our language acquired, to some extent, a repulsive sense, from its carrying with it the idea of undue authority or assumption. This is more fully the case with its derivatives dogmatical and dogmatism.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Dogma'
Dogma is the established belief or doctrine held by a religion, or by extension by some other group or organization. It is authoritative and not to be disputed, doubted, or diverged from, by the practitioner or believers. The term derives from Greek δόγμα "that which seems to one, opinion or belief" The plural is either dogmas or dogmata , from Greek δόγματα. dogmata is more etymologically correct, thus preferred.
Dogmata are found in religions such as Judaism, Christianity, and Islam, where they are considered core principles that must be upheld by all followers of that religion. As a fundamental element of religion, the term "dogma" is assigned to those theological tenets which are considered to be well demonstrated, such that their proposed disputation or revision effectively means that a person no longer accepts the given religion as his or her own, or has entered into a period of personal doubt. Dogma is distinguished from theological opinion regarding those things considered less well-known. Dogmata may be clarified and elaborated but not contradicted in novel teachings (e.g., Galatians 1:8-9). Rejection of dogma may lead to expulsion from a religious group.[See more about Dogma at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Dogma'
'Dogma' in famous quotation sentence
* It is in the uncompromisingness with which dogma is held and not in the dogma, or want of dogma, that the danger lies. - Samuel Butler
* The common dogma of fundamentalists is fear of modern knowledge, inability to cope with the fast change in a scientific-technological society, and the real breakdown in apparent moral order in recent years.... That is why hate is the major fuel, fear is the cement of the movement, and superstitious ignorance is the best defence against the dangerous new knowledge. ... When you bring up arguments that cast serious doubts on their cherished beliefs you are not simply making a rhetorical point, you are threatening their whole Universe and their immortality. That provokes anger and quite frequently violence. ... Unfortunately you cannot reason with them and you even risk violence in confronting them. Their numbers will decline only when society stabilizes, and adapts to modernity. - G Gaia
Click here for more related quotations on 'Dogma'
Dogma Sample Sentences in News
- Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen review
Great for RPG fans that never played the original release. Read more on this news related to 'Dogma'
- 'Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen' Review (Xbox 360)
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen expands and improves on the original title in countless ways. Read more on this news related to 'Dogma'
- Game review: Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
When Dragon's Dogma dropped from the sky, breathing fire on unsuspecting gamers distracted by the snow-covered world of Skyrim , it caught a lot of people unaware. It had dragons in the title, but you spent a lot more time running... Read more on this news related to 'Dogma'