Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Divinity'
- any supernatural being worshipped as controlling some part of the world or some aspect of life or who is the personification of a force [syn: deity, god, immortal]
- the quality of being divine; "ancient Egyptians believed in the divinity of the Pharaohs"
- white creamy fudge made with egg whites [syn: divinity fudge}]
- the rational and systematic study of religion and its influences and of the nature of religious truth [syn: theology]
- Divinity \Di*vin"i*ty\, n.; pl. Divinities. [F. divinit['e],
L. divinitas. See Divine, a.]
- The state of being divine; the nature or essence of God; deity; godhead. When he attributes divinity to other things than God, it is only a divinity by way of participation. --Bp. Stillingfleet.
- The Deity; the Supreme Being; God. This the divinity that within us. --Addison.
- A pretended deity of pagans; a false god. Beastly divinities, and droves of gods. --Prior.
- A celestial being, inferior to the supreme God, but superior to man. God . . . employing these subservient divinities. --Cheyne.
- Something divine or superhuman; supernatural power or virtue; something which inspires awe. They say there is divinity in odd numbers. --Shak. There's such divinity doth hedge a king. --Shak.
- The science of divine things; the science which treats of God, his laws and moral government, and the way of salvation; theology. Divinity is essentially the first of the professions. --Coleridge. Case divinity, casuistry.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Divinity'
Divinity and divine (sometimes "the Divinity" or "the Divine") are broadly applied but loosely defined terms, used variously within different faiths and belief systems — and even by different individuals within a given faith — to refer to some transcendent or transcendental power or deity, or its attributes or manifestations in the world. The root of the words is literally "godlike" (from the Latin deus, cf. Dyaus, closely related to Greek zeus, div in Persian and deva in Sanskrit), but the use varies significantly depending on which god is being discussed. This article outlines the major distinctions in the conventional use of the terms.
For academic or professional uses of the terms, see Divinity (academic discipline), or Divine (Anglican)
Overlap occurs between these usages because deities or godlike entities are often identical with and/or identified by the powers and forces that are credited to them — in many cases a deity is merely a power or force personified — and these powers and forces may then be extended or granted to mortal individuals. For instance, throughout much of the Old Testament Yahweh is closely associated with storms and thunder: He is said to speak in thunder, and thunder is seen as a token of His anger. This power was then extended to prophets like Moses and Samuel, who caused thunderous storms to rain down on their enemies. (See Exodus 9:23 and 1 Samuel 12:18.)[See more about Divinity at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Divinity'
'Divinity' in famous quotation sentence
* The sacred rights of mankind are not to be rummaged for among old parchments or musty records. They are written, as with a sunbeam, in the whole volume of human nature, by the hand of the divinity itself and can never be erased. - Alexander Hamilton
* The soul has this proof of its divinity that divine things delight in it. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Click here for more related quotations on 'Divinity'
Divinity Sample Sentences in News
- Co-op roleplaying game Divinity: Original Sin arrives this Spring
Larian Studios' latest high fantasy epic, Divinity: Original Sin, is now slated for a Spring release, and to whet players' appetites, the developer has issued the above trailer, titled "Spring Is Coming." According to a press release issued by... Read more on this news related to 'Divinity'
- Duke Divinity student wants focus on pastoral care of abuse survivors
Adam Baker is a third year Duke Divinity School student preparing to graduate in May with a master of divinity. He is also a former child and adolescent therapist, and saw an area of pastoral care not addressed during his classes. Read more on this news related to 'Divinity'
- Divinity: Original Sin release moves to spring
The full release of tempting turn-based role-playing game Divinity: Original Sin will happen in spring. It's available in alpha via Steam's Early Access program now, and it's incorporating feedback from that alpha the developer said has pushed things back. "The extra time will be used to implement feedback received from Steam Early Access players Read more on this news related to 'Divinity'