Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Divest'
- take away possessions from someone; "The Nazis stripped the Jews of all their assets" [syn: deprive, strip]
- deprive of status or authority; "he was divested of his rights and his title"; "They disinvested themselves of their rights" [syn: disinvest] [ant: invest]
- reduce or dispose of; cease to hold (an investment); "The company decided to divest"; "the board of trustees divested $20 million in real estate property"; "There was pressure on the univeristy to disinvest in South Africa" [syn: disinvest] [ant: invest]
- remove (someone's or one's own) clothes; "The nurse quickly undressed the accident victim"; "She divested herself of her outdoor clothes"; "He disinvested himself of his garments" [syn: strip, undress, disinvest]
- Divest \Di*vest"\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Divested; p. pr. & vb.
n. Divesting.] [LL. divestire (di- = dis- + L. vestire to
dress), equiv. to L. devestire. It is the same word as
devest, but the latter is rarely used except as a technical
term in law. See Devest, Vest.]
- To unclothe; to strip, as of clothes, arms, or equipage; -- opposed to invest.
- Fig.: To strip; to deprive; to dispossess; as, to divest one of his rights or privileges; to divest one's self of prejudices, passions, etc. Wretches divested of every moral feeling. --Goldsmith. The tendency of the language to divest itself of its gutturals. --Earle.
- (Law) See Devest. --Mozley & W.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Divest'
Stock market (equity market) Foreign exchange market Derivatives market Commodity market Money market Spot market (cash market) Over the counter Real estate Private equity Financial market participants: Investor and speculator
Deposit Option (call or put) Loans Security Derivative Stock Time deposit or certificate of deposit Futures contract
Capital budgeting Financial risk management Mergers and acquisitions Accountancy Financial statement Audit Credit rating agency Leveraged buyout
Student financial aid Employment contract Retirement[See more about Divest at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Divest'
Divest Sample Sentences in News
- Tyco to Divest Korean Security Business - Analyst Blog
Tyco to Divest Korean Security Business - Analyst Blog Read more on this news related to 'Divest'
- Activists: Mass. should divest from fossil fuels
Activists are pressing Massachusetts lawmakers to support a bill that would divest the state pension fund from fossil fuels. Advocates are planning to rally in front of the Statehouse on Wednesday to call ... Read more on this news related to 'Divest'
- Phillips 66 to Divest Assets
Phillips 66 announced that it would divest its products pipeline system and two storage spheres for $700 million to Phillips 66 Partners LP. Read more on this news related to 'Divest'