Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Divergent'
Divergent Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- diverging from another or from a standard; "a divergent opinion"
- tending to move apart in different directions [syn: diverging] [ant: convergent]
- Divergent \Di*ver"gent\, a. [Cf. F. divergent. See Diverge.]
- Receding farther and farther from each other, as lines radiating from one point; deviating gradually from a given direction; -- opposed to convergent.
- (Optics) Causing divergence of rays; as, a divergent lens.
- Fig.: Disagreeing from something given; differing; as, a divergent statement. Divergent series. (Math.) See Diverging series, under Diverging.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Divergent'
- Divergent boundary: In plate tectonics , a divergent boundary or divergent plate boundary (also known as a constructive boundary or an extensional boundary) is ...
- Divergent series: In mathematics , a divergent series is an infinite series that is not convergent , meaning that the infinite sequence of the partial sum s ...
- Divergent evolution: Divergent evolution is the accumulation of differences between groups which can lead to the formation of new species, usually a result of ...
- Divergent thinking: Divergent thinking is a thought process or method used to generate creative ideas by exploring many possible solutions. It is often used ...
- Divergent synthesis: In chemistry a divergent synthesis is a strategy with the aim to improve the efficiency of chemical synthesis . It is often an ...
Words and phrases related to 'Divergent'
Divergent Sample Sentences in News
- Box Office Milestone: 'Divergent' Crosses $100M
On its fourteenth day of domestic release, Divergent has officially crossed $100 million at the domestic box office. The Lionsgate release, starring Shailene Woodley and Theo James, debuted two weekends ago with a $54 million debut weekend, and it should hit over/under $115 million by the end of this weekend. Once it passes Lemony Snicket and a Series of Unfortu Read more on this news related to 'Divergent'
- 'The Fault in Our Stars' Is Not 'Divergent': Unboxing YA
The next movie featuring Divergent stars Shailene Woodley and Ansel Elgort is not the next Divergent or Hunger Games. The Fault in Our Stars appears to be getting the treatment that its aforementioned dystopian predecessors have had when it come to advertising. Jethro Nededog of The Wrap reported that MTV will air a new "sneak peek" of the movie du Read more on this news related to 'Divergent'
- The Hunger for Another Game - Divergent Plays to A Fevered Pitch
As Divergent opens in 3,900 theaters today can the latest tale of young female empowerment overcoming a bleak dystopic future finally conquer the blight that has stripped the majority of Young Adult (YA) film adaptations becoming hit franchises? Read more on this news related to 'Divergent'