Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Divergent'
Divergent Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- diverging from another or from a standard; "a divergent opinion"
- tending to move apart in different directions [syn: diverging] [ant: convergent]
- Divergent \Di*ver"gent\, a. [Cf. F. divergent. See Diverge.]
- Receding farther and farther from each other, as lines radiating from one point; deviating gradually from a given direction; -- opposed to convergent.
- (Optics) Causing divergence of rays; as, a divergent lens.
- Fig.: Disagreeing from something given; differing; as, a divergent statement. Divergent series. (Math.) See Diverging series, under Diverging.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Divergent'
- Divergent boundary: In plate tectonics , a divergent boundary or divergent plate boundary (also known as a constructive boundary or an extensional boundary) is ...
- Divergent series: In mathematics , a divergent series is an infinite series that is not convergent , meaning that the infinite sequence of the partial sum s ...
- Divergent evolution: Divergent evolution is the accumulation of differences between groups which can lead to the formation of new species, usually a result of ...
- Divergent thinking: Divergent thinking is a thought process or method used to generate creative ideas by exploring many possible solutions. It is often used ...
- Divergent synthesis: In chemistry a divergent synthesis is a strategy with the aim to improve the efficiency of chemical synthesis . It is often an ...
Words and phrases related to 'Divergent'
Divergent Sample Sentences in News
- ‘Divergent’ sequel ‘Insurgent’ has a screenwriter. Five scenes we can’t wait to see
Now that the Divergent sequel Insurgent has found its screenwriter – Jane Got a Gun scribe Brian Duffield — it’s time we start Read more on this news related to 'Divergent'
- ‘Divergent’ sequel gets a screenwriter
Divergent, based on the first book of Veronica Roth’s best-selling series, only just began shooting in Chicago late last month. Read more on this news related to 'Divergent'
- 'Divergent' First Look: Tris on a ledge
By Sara Vilkomerson EW exclusive! Shailene Woodley is Dauntless for a scene in Chicago: ''She really did stand on that ledge'' Read more on this news related to 'Divergent'