Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Distraught'
Distraught Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
adj : deeply agitated especially from emotion; "distraught with
grief" [syn: overwrought]
- Distract \Dis*tract"\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Distracted, old p.
p. Distraught; p. pr. & vb. n. Distracting.]
- To draw apart or away; to divide; to disjoin. A city . . . distracted from itself. --Fuller.
- To draw (the sight, mind, or attention) in different directions; to perplex; to confuse; as, to distract the eye; to distract the attention. Mixed metaphors . . . distract the imagination. --Goldsmith.
- To agitate by conflicting passions, or by a variety of motives or of cares; to confound; to harass. Horror and doubt distract His troubled thoughts. --Milton.
- To unsettle the reason of; to render insane; to craze; to madden; -- most frequently used in the participle, distracted. A poor mad soul; . . . poverty hath distracted her. --Shak.
- Distraught \Dis*traught"\, p. p. & a. [OE. distract, distrauht.
See Distract, a.]
- Torn asunder; separated. [Obs.] ``His greedy throat . . . distraught.'' --Spenser.
- Distracted; perplexed. ``Distraught twixt fear and pity.'' --Spenser. As if thou wert distraught and mad with terror. --Shak. To doubt betwixt our senses and our souls Which are the most distraught and full of pain. --Mrs. Browning.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Distraught'
- Dio – Distraught Overlord: Rather than following the new trend of visual kei , DIO - Distraught Overlord is a darker, heavier band, which combines metal with ...
Words and phrases related to 'Distraught'
Distraught Sample Sentences in News
- Families Await News of Malaysia Airlines Flight in Beijing
Distraught relatives of passengers who were aboard the missing Malaysia Airlines jet wailed behind closed doors at a Beijing hotel on Friday. Read more on this news related to 'Distraught'
- Witness says distraught Pistorius prayed over girlfriend's body
As the girlfriend he shot lay dead or dying in his home, a weeping, praying Oscar Pistorius knelt at her side and struggled in vain to help her breathe by holding two fingers in her clenched mouth, a witness testified Thursday at the double-amputee runner's murder trial. Read more on this news related to 'Distraught'
- Witness describes distraught state of Pistorius
The trial of South African athlete Oscar Pistorius has heard evidence from one of the first people on the scene after the shooting of Reeva Steenkamp. Read more on this news related to 'Distraught'