Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Dirty'
- soiled or likely to soil with dirt or grime; "dirty unswept sidewalks"; "a child in dirty overalls"; "dirty slums"; "piles of dirty dishes"; "put his dirty feet on the clean sheet"; "wore an unclean shirt"; "mining is a dirty job"; "Cinderella did the dirty work while her sisters preened themselves" [syn: soiled, unclean] [ant: clean]
- (of behavior or especially language) characterized by obscenity or indecency; "dirty words"; "a dirty old man"; "dirty books and movies"; "boys telling dirty jokes"; "has a dirty mouth" [ant: clean]
- vile; despicable; "a dirty (or lousy) trick"; "a filthy traitor" [syn: filthy, lousy]
- spreading pollution or contamination; especially radioactive contamination; "the air near the foundry was always dirty"; "the air near the foundry was always dirty"; "a dirty bomb releases enormous amounts of long-lived radioactive fallout" [syn: contaminating] [ant: clean]
- contaminated with infecting organisms; "dirty wounds"; "obliged to go into infected rooms"- Jane Austen [syn: contaminated, infected, pestiferous]
- (of color) discolored by impurities; not bright and clear;
- white"; "the muddied gray of the sea"; "muddy colors";
"dirty-green walls"; "dirty-blonde hair" [syn: dingy, muddied,
- (of a manuscript) defaced with changes; "foul (or dirty) copy" [syn: foul, marked-up]
- obtained illegally or by improper means; "dirty money"; "ill-gotten gains" [syn: ill-gotten]
- expressing or revealing hostility or dislike; "dirty looks"
- violating accepted standards or rules; "a dirty fighter"; "used foul means to gain power"; "a nasty unsporting serve"; "fined for unsportsmanlike behavior" [syn: cheating(a), foul, unsporting, unsportsmanlike]
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Dirty'
Dirt is unclean matter, especially when in contact with a person's clothes, skin or possessions when they are said to become dirty. "Grimy" or "filthy" are also commonly used descriptive words. Common types of dirt include soil, soot and dust. Computer keyboards are especially dirty as, on average, they contain 70 times more microbes than a lavatory seat.
When things are dirty, they are usually cleaned with solutions like hard surface cleaner and other chemicals; much domestic activity is for this purpose — washing, sweeping and so forth.
In a commercial setting, a dirty appearance will give a bad impression of a place such as a restaurant. The dirt in such cases may be classified as temporary, permanent and deliberate. Temporary dirt is streaks and detritus that may be removed by ordinary daily cleaning. Permanent dirt is ingrained stains or physical damage which require major renovation to remove. Deliberate dirt is that which results from design decisions such as decor in dirty yellow or grunge styling. (jarret grays)[See more about Dirty at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Dirty'
'Dirty' in famous quotation sentence
* Even though I was their captive, the Indians allowed me quite a bit of freedom. I could walk about freely, make my own meals, and even hurl large rocks at their heads. It was only later that I discovered they were not Indians at all, but dirty clothes hampers. - Jack Handey Deep Thoughts
* How anybody dresses is indicative of his self-concept. If students are dirty and ragged, it indicates they are not interested in tidying up their intellects either. - S Hayakawa
Click here for more related quotations on 'Dirty'
Dirty Sample Sentences in News
- Live blog: 'Cooking Dirty' with Jason Sheehan
Jason Sheehan, the author of 'Cooking Dirty', speaks at the RocFlavors Book Group dinner Monday night. Read more on this news related to 'Dirty'
- How Dirty is Your Cell Phone?
It is hard to imagine life without cell phones. Everywhere we go, they go too. But have you ever stopped to think about what's lurking on our phones? WBOC's Corrina Pysa headed to the lab to swab out the truth. Read more on this news related to 'Dirty'
- John Simpson: BBC felt dirty after scandals
VETERAN broadcaster says that staff felt the station had ‘dirty’ secrets following the Jimmy Savile revelations Read more on this news related to 'Dirty'