Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Dint'
Dint Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
n : interchangeable with `means' in the expression `by dint of'
- Dint \Dint\, n. [OE. dint, dent, dunt, a blow, AS. dynt; akin to
Icel. dyntr a dint, dynta to dint, and perh. to L. fendere
(in composition). Cf. 1st Dent, Defend.]
- A blow; a stroke. [Obs.] ``Mortal dint.'' --Milton. ``Like thunder's dint.'' --Fairfax.
- The mark left by a blow; an indentation or impression made by violence; a dent. --Dryden. Every dint a sword had beaten in it [the shield]. --Tennyson.
- Force; power; -- esp. in the phrase by dint of. Now you weep; and, I perceive, you feel The dint of pity. --Shak. It was by dint of passing strength That he moved the massy stone at length. --Sir W. Scott.
- Dint \Dint\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Dinted; p. pr. & vb. n.
To make a mark or cavity on or in, by a blow or by pressure;
to dent. --Donne. Tennyson.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Dint'
- Dint Island: Dint Island (69 | 17 | S | 71 | 49 | W |) is a rocky island , 1.5 nautical miles (2.8 km) long, lying 2 nautical miles (3.7 km) off the west ...
- Higher Dinting: date July 2008 Higher Dinting is a village in Glossopdale , Derbyshire , England , UK , near Glossop , Dinting , and Dinting Vale . ...
- Dinting railway station: name Dinting | code DTG | image_name Dinting railway station in 1988. jpg | caption Dinting railway station in 1988, the Hadfield line ...
- Dinting Vale: Dinting Vale is a village in Glossopdale , Derbyshire , England , UK , near Higher Dinting , Dinting and Glossop . Dinting Vale Printworks ...
- Artur Dinter: de/bbkl/d/dinter_a.shtml Short biography of Artur Dinter In: Kirchenlexikon (in German)- Category:1876 births Category:1948 deaths Category ...
- Kurt Dinter: Anacampseros dinter Schinz, Cissus juttae Dinter, Hoodia juttae Dinter, Stapelia dinteri Berger, Stapelia juttae Dinter, Trichocaulon ...
- Dinting: Dinting is also a mining term used to describe the removal of parts of the floor which lift due to floor heave. Image:Dinting viaduct in the ...
- Gail Dinter-Gottlieb: Gail Dinter-Gottlieb B.Sc., Ph.D. is an American university administrator who served as the 14th president and vice-chancellor of Acadia ...
- Daan van Dinter: playername Daan van Dinter | image | fullname Daan van Dinter | dateofbirth 1989 | 1 | 12 | df yes | cityofbirth Tilburg | countryofbirth ...
Words and phrases related to 'Dint'
Dint Sample Sentences in News
- PHL No. 3 nation ‘most at risk’ to disasters, natural calamities
BY DINT OF BOTH FATE and human failure, the Philippines seems wedded to disasters and natural calamities. It is not only exposed, it is also vulnerable to disasters. Its location in the Ring of Fire in the Pacific Ocean, opens the Philippines to frequent visits by typhoons, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions. But location does not […] Read more on this news related to 'Dint'
- Socialism Advancing by Dint of Ideology Is Sure to Triumph: Rodong Sinmun
Pyongyang, November 20 (KCNA) -- Rodong Sinmun Wednesday dedicates an article to the 55th anniversary of President Kim Il Sung's work "On Communist Education". Read more on this news related to 'Dint'