Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Dint'
Dint Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
n : interchangeable with `means' in the expression `by dint of'
- Dint \Dint\, n. [OE. dint, dent, dunt, a blow, AS. dynt; akin to
Icel. dyntr a dint, dynta to dint, and perh. to L. fendere
(in composition). Cf. 1st Dent, Defend.]
- A blow; a stroke. [Obs.] ``Mortal dint.'' --Milton. ``Like thunder's dint.'' --Fairfax.
- The mark left by a blow; an indentation or impression made by violence; a dent. --Dryden. Every dint a sword had beaten in it [the shield]. --Tennyson.
- Force; power; -- esp. in the phrase by dint of. Now you weep; and, I perceive, you feel The dint of pity. --Shak. It was by dint of passing strength That he moved the massy stone at length. --Sir W. Scott.
- Dint \Dint\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Dinted; p. pr. & vb. n.
To make a mark or cavity on or in, by a blow or by pressure;
to dent. --Donne. Tennyson.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Dint'
- Dint Island: Dint Island (69 | 17 | S | 71 | 49 | W |) is a rocky island , 1.5 nautical miles (2.8 km) long, lying 2 nautical miles (3.7 km) off the west ...
- Higher Dinting: date July 2008 Higher Dinting is a village in Glossopdale , Derbyshire , England , UK , near Glossop , Dinting , and Dinting Vale . ...
- Dinting railway station: name Dinting | code DTG | image_name Dinting railway station in 1988. jpg | caption Dinting railway station in 1988, the Hadfield line ...
- Dinting Vale: Dinting Vale is a village in Glossopdale , Derbyshire , England , UK , near Higher Dinting , Dinting and Glossop . Dinting Vale Printworks ...
- Artur Dinter: de/bbkl/d/dinter_a.shtml Short biography of Artur Dinter In: Kirchenlexikon (in German)- Category:1876 births Category:1948 deaths Category ...
- Kurt Dinter: Anacampseros dinter Schinz, Cissus juttae Dinter, Hoodia juttae Dinter, Stapelia dinteri Berger, Stapelia juttae Dinter, Trichocaulon ...
- Dinting: Dinting is also a mining term used to describe the removal of parts of the floor which lift due to floor heave. Image:Dinting viaduct in the ...
- Gail Dinter-Gottlieb: Gail Dinter-Gottlieb B.Sc., Ph.D. is an American university administrator who served as the 14th president and vice-chancellor of Acadia ...
- Daan van Dinter: playername Daan van Dinter | image | fullname Daan van Dinter | dateofbirth 1989 | 1 | 12 | df yes | cityofbirth Tilburg | countryofbirth ...
Words and phrases related to 'Dint'
Dint Sample Sentences in News
- Blues have ‘dinted’ Maroon culture: Mal
MAL Meninga says NSW have left a “dint” in Queensland’s culture and will take a calculated gamble by revamping tactics. Read more on this news related to 'Dint'
- Blues have ‘dinted’ our culture: Mal
MAL Meninga says NSW have left a “dint” in Queensland’s culture and he will take a calculated gamble by revamping tactics. Read more on this news related to 'Dint'
- Casey’s resignation means the mayor can step out of his deputy’s shadow
Here’s the risk of a having a strong No. 2 person on the team: He – or she – can diminish No. 1’s stature simply by dint of an overpowering personality. That, at least in some measure, describes the impact that Steven M. Casey has had on his boss, Buffalo Mayor Byron W. Brown. Read more on this news related to 'Dint'