Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Dint'
Dint Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
n : interchangeable with `means' in the expression `by dint of'
- Dint \Dint\, n. [OE. dint, dent, dunt, a blow, AS. dynt; akin to
Icel. dyntr a dint, dynta to dint, and perh. to L. fendere
(in composition). Cf. 1st Dent, Defend.]
- A blow; a stroke. [Obs.] ``Mortal dint.'' --Milton. ``Like thunder's dint.'' --Fairfax.
- The mark left by a blow; an indentation or impression made by violence; a dent. --Dryden. Every dint a sword had beaten in it [the shield]. --Tennyson.
- Force; power; -- esp. in the phrase by dint of. Now you weep; and, I perceive, you feel The dint of pity. --Shak. It was by dint of passing strength That he moved the massy stone at length. --Sir W. Scott.
- Dint \Dint\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Dinted; p. pr. & vb. n.
To make a mark or cavity on or in, by a blow or by pressure;
to dent. --Donne. Tennyson.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Dint'
- Dint Island: Dint Island (69 | 17 | S | 71 | 49 | W |) is a rocky island , 1.5 nautical miles (2.8 km) long, lying 2 nautical miles (3.7 km) off the west ...
- Higher Dinting: date July 2008 Higher Dinting is a village in Glossopdale , Derbyshire , England , UK , near Glossop , Dinting , and Dinting Vale . ...
- Dinting railway station: name Dinting | code DTG | image_name Dinting railway station in 1988. jpg | caption Dinting railway station in 1988, the Hadfield line ...
- Dinting Vale: Dinting Vale is a village in Glossopdale , Derbyshire , England , UK , near Higher Dinting , Dinting and Glossop . Dinting Vale Printworks ...
- Artur Dinter: de/bbkl/d/dinter_a.shtml Short biography of Artur Dinter In: Kirchenlexikon (in German)- Category:1876 births Category:1948 deaths Category ...
- Kurt Dinter: Anacampseros dinter Schinz, Cissus juttae Dinter, Hoodia juttae Dinter, Stapelia dinteri Berger, Stapelia juttae Dinter, Trichocaulon ...
- Dinting: Dinting is also a mining term used to describe the removal of parts of the floor which lift due to floor heave. Image:Dinting viaduct in the ...
- Gail Dinter-Gottlieb: Gail Dinter-Gottlieb B.Sc., Ph.D. is an American university administrator who served as the 14th president and vice-chancellor of Acadia ...
- Daan van Dinter: playername Daan van Dinter | image | fullname Daan van Dinter | dateofbirth 1989 | 1 | 12 | df yes | cityofbirth Tilburg | countryofbirth ...
Words and phrases related to 'Dint'
Dint Sample Sentences in News
- Blackstone's Heartland Food reportedly on the block
Heartland Food is the second-largest owner of Burger King restaurants with about 330 locations in eight Midwest states. Blackstone (NYSE: BX ) is the owner by dint of its 2008 GSO Capital Partners acquisition. Heartland has annual sales of more than $420M, but things are sluggish in the fast-food world, with sales rising just 0.7% last year according to IBISWorld. Read more on this news related to 'Dint'
- Dragons lose to under-strength Sydney Roosters
Defending premiers the Roosters put a dint in the the Dragons' slender top-eight hopes with a 30-22 win at Allianz Stadium on Saturday night. Read more on this news related to 'Dint'
- Forgotten NBA Stars Who Will Play Huge Roles in 2014-15 Season
One of the great things about the NBA is how each new season brings the possibility of more stars beginning their unique upward ascents. However, such perennial unpredictability carries with it another, more insidious side effect: forgetting about yesterday’s hardwood heroes. Whether by dint of injury or flat-out poor production, plenty of household names are po Read more on this news related to 'Dint'