Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Dint'
Dint Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
n : interchangeable with `means' in the expression `by dint of'
- Dint \Dint\, n. [OE. dint, dent, dunt, a blow, AS. dynt; akin to
Icel. dyntr a dint, dynta to dint, and perh. to L. fendere
(in composition). Cf. 1st Dent, Defend.]
- A blow; a stroke. [Obs.] ``Mortal dint.'' --Milton. ``Like thunder's dint.'' --Fairfax.
- The mark left by a blow; an indentation or impression made by violence; a dent. --Dryden. Every dint a sword had beaten in it [the shield]. --Tennyson.
- Force; power; -- esp. in the phrase by dint of. Now you weep; and, I perceive, you feel The dint of pity. --Shak. It was by dint of passing strength That he moved the massy stone at length. --Sir W. Scott.
- Dint \Dint\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Dinted; p. pr. & vb. n.
To make a mark or cavity on or in, by a blow or by pressure;
to dent. --Donne. Tennyson.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Dint'
- Dint Island: Dint Island (69 | 17 | S | 71 | 49 | W |) is a rocky island , 1.5 nautical miles (2.8 km) long, lying 2 nautical miles (3.7 km) off the west ...
- Higher Dinting: date July 2008 Higher Dinting is a village in Glossopdale , Derbyshire , England , UK , near Glossop , Dinting , and Dinting Vale . ...
- Dinting railway station: name Dinting | code DTG | image_name Dinting railway station in 1988. jpg | caption Dinting railway station in 1988, the Hadfield line ...
- Dinting Vale: Dinting Vale is a village in Glossopdale , Derbyshire , England , UK , near Higher Dinting , Dinting and Glossop . Dinting Vale Printworks ...
- Artur Dinter: de/bbkl/d/dinter_a.shtml Short biography of Artur Dinter In: Kirchenlexikon (in German)- Category:1876 births Category:1948 deaths Category ...
- Kurt Dinter: Anacampseros dinter Schinz, Cissus juttae Dinter, Hoodia juttae Dinter, Stapelia dinteri Berger, Stapelia juttae Dinter, Trichocaulon ...
- Dinting: Dinting is also a mining term used to describe the removal of parts of the floor which lift due to floor heave. Image:Dinting viaduct in the ...
- Gail Dinter-Gottlieb: Gail Dinter-Gottlieb B.Sc., Ph.D. is an American university administrator who served as the 14th president and vice-chancellor of Acadia ...
- Daan van Dinter: playername Daan van Dinter | image | fullname Daan van Dinter | dateofbirth 1989 | 1 | 12 | df yes | cityofbirth Tilburg | countryofbirth ...
Words and phrases related to 'Dint'
Dint Sample Sentences in News
- Diverse Sci-tech Activities to Be Conducted in DPRK This Year
Pyongyang, March 7 (KCNA) -- A drive for speeding up the building of knowledge-based economy by dint of science and technology is going on in full swing in the Democratic People's Republic of Korea. Read more on this news related to 'Dint'
- Ukraine troubles continue to drag $A lower
The Australian dollar is down as growing tensions between Russia and the Ukraine dint global risk appetite. Markets are concerned the stand-off between Russia and the Ukraine will escalate into war, CMC Markets chief market analyst Ric Spooner said. Read more on this news related to 'Dint'
- Ukraine troubles drag $A lower
The Australian dollar is down as growing tensions between Russia and the Ukraine dint global risk appetite. Read more on this news related to 'Dint'