Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Diagram'
n : a drawing intended to explain how something works; a drawing
showing the relation between the parts
v : make a schematic or technical drawing of that shows how
things work or how they are constructed [syn: plot]
[also: diagramming, diagrammed]
- Diagram \Di"a*gram\, n. [Gr. ?, fr. ? to mark out by lines; dia`
through + ? to draw, write: cf. F. diagramme. See Graphic.]
- (Geom.) A figure or drawing made to illustrate a statement, or facilitate a demonstration; a plan.
- Any simple drawing made for mathematical or scientific purposes, or to assist a verbal explanation which refers to it; a mechanical drawing, as distinguished from an artistical one. Indicator diagram. (Steam Engine) See Indicator card, under indicator
- Diagram \Di"a*gram\, v. t.
To put into the form of a diagram.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Diagram'
A diagram is a two-dimensional geometric symbolic representation of information according to some visualization technique. Sometimes, the technique uses a three-dimensional visualization which is then projected onto the two-dimensional surface. The word graph is sometimes used as a synonym for diagram.
A diagram is a 2D geometric symbolic representation of information according to some visualization technique. Sometimes, the technique uses a 3D visualization which is then projected onto the 2D surface. The term diagram in common sense can have two meanings.
In science the term is used in both ways. For example Anderson (1997) stated more generally: "diagrams are pictorial, yet abstract, representations of information, and maps, line graphs, bar charts, engineering blueprints, and architects' sketches are all examples of diagrams, whereas photographs and video are not".[See more about Diagram at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Diagram'
Diagram Sample Sentences in News
- Oddest book prize goes to How to Poo on a Date
The Diagram prize, honouring the year's strangest title, awarded to self-help guide to toilet etiquette In pictures: Thirty odd years of the Diagram prize Powered by the British public's unstoppable enthusiasm for toilet humour, the enticingly-titled How to Poo on a Date has carried off this year's Diagram prize for the oddest book title of the year. W Read more on this news related to 'Diagram'
- Science Notes: ; Early nomads traded grain on the Silk Road
Scientists have created a detailed, three-dimensional wiring diagram of the mouse brain. That should help researchers seek clues about how the human brain works in health and disease. Read more on this news related to 'Diagram'
- Scientists create wiring diagram for mouse brain
NEW YORK (AP) — Scientists have created a detailed, three-dimensional wiring diagram of the mouse brain. That should help researchers seek clues about how the human brain works in health and disease. Read more on this news related to 'Diagram'