Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Devil'
- (Judeo-Christian and Islamic religions) chief spirit of evil and adversary of God; tempter of mankind; master of Hell [syn: Satan, Old Nick, the Devil, Lucifer, Beelzebub, the Tempter, Prince of Darkness]
- one of the evil spirits of traditional Jewish and Christian belief [syn: fiend, demon, daemon, daimon]
- a word used in exclamations of confusion; "what the devil"; "the deuce with it"; "the dickens you say" [syn: deuce, dickens]
- a rowdy or mischievous person (usually a young man); "he chased the young hellions out of his yard" [syn: hellion, heller]
- a cruel wicked and inhuman person [syn: monster, fiend, demon, ogre] v
- cause annoyance in; disturb, especially by minor irritations; "Mosquitoes buzzing in my ear really bothers me"; "It irritates me that she never closes the door after she leaves" [syn: annoy, rag, get to, bother, get at, irritate, rile, nark, nettle, gravel, vex, chafe]
- coat or stuff with a spicy paste; "devilled eggs"
- Willow \Wil"low\, n. [OE. wilowe, wilwe, AS. wilig, welig; akin
to OD. wilge, D. wilg, LG. wilge. Cf. Willy.]
- (Bot.) Any tree or shrub of the genus Salix, including
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Devil'?
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Devil'
The Devil (Ancient Greek: διάβολος or diábolos = 'slanderer' or 'accuser') is believed in many religions and cultures to be a powerful, supernatural entity that is the personification of evil and the enemy of God and humankind. The Devil is commonly associated with heretics, infidels, and other unbelievers. The Abrahamic religions have variously regarded the Devil as a rebellious fallen angel or demon that tempts humans to sin or commit evil deeds. Others regard the Devil as an allegory that represents a crisis of faith, individualism, free will, wisdom and enlightenment.
In mainstream Christianity, God and the Devil are usually portrayed as fighting over the souls of humans, with the Devil seeking to lure people away from God and into Hell. The Devil commands a force of evil angels, commonly known as demons. Many other religions have a trickster or tempter figure that is similar to the Devil. Modern conceptions of the Devil include the concept that it symbolizes humans' own lower nature or sinfulness.[See more about Devil at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Devil'
'Devil' in famous quotation sentence
* Fear of the devil is one way of doubting God. - Kahlil Gibran
* The devil hath power To assume a pleasing shape. - William Shakespeare
Click here for more related quotations on 'Devil'
Devil Sample Sentences in News
- ZR1 Blue Devil Corvette, rescued from sinkhole, exits on its own power
ZR1 Blue Devil Corvette was the last car to fall in the sinkhole and the first one rescued. The other seven vehicles at the National Corvette Museum apparently sustained more damage than the ZR1 Blue Devil Corvette. Read more on this news related to 'Devil'
- The Devil's Blood's Selim Lemouchi Dead at 33 Recap
The Devil's Blood mainstay Selim Lemouchi had died at the age of 33. The Dutch musician had only recently released his first musical venture since disbanding The Devil's Blood, Selim Lemouchi & The Enemies, who released Earth Air Spirit Fire Water on Van Records Read more on this news related to 'Devil'
- Howard Jones' New Band Devil You Know Stream New Song Recap
Devil You Know - former Killswitch Engage frontman Howard Jones' new band - have streamed their track Seven Years Alone Read more on this news related to 'Devil'