Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Devil'
- (Judeo-Christian and Islamic religions) chief spirit of evil and adversary of God; tempter of mankind; master of Hell [syn: Satan, Old Nick, the Devil, Lucifer, Beelzebub, the Tempter, Prince of Darkness]
- one of the evil spirits of traditional Jewish and Christian belief [syn: fiend, demon, daemon, daimon]
- a word used in exclamations of confusion; "what the devil"; "the deuce with it"; "the dickens you say" [syn: deuce, dickens]
- a rowdy or mischievous person (usually a young man); "he chased the young hellions out of his yard" [syn: hellion, heller]
- a cruel wicked and inhuman person [syn: monster, fiend, demon, ogre] v
- cause annoyance in; disturb, especially by minor irritations; "Mosquitoes buzzing in my ear really bothers me"; "It irritates me that she never closes the door after she leaves" [syn: annoy, rag, get to, bother, get at, irritate, rile, nark, nettle, gravel, vex, chafe]
- coat or stuff with a spicy paste; "devilled eggs"
- Willow \Wil"low\, n. [OE. wilowe, wilwe, AS. wilig, welig; akin
to OD. wilge, D. wilg, LG. wilge. Cf. Willy.]
- (Bot.) Any tree or shrub of the genus Salix, including
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Devil'?
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Devil'
The Devil (Ancient Greek: διάβολος or diábolos = 'slanderer' or 'accuser') is believed in many religions and cultures to be a powerful, supernatural entity that is the personification of evil and the enemy of God and humankind. The Devil is commonly associated with heretics, infidels, and other unbelievers. The Abrahamic religions have variously regarded the Devil as a rebellious fallen angel or demon that tempts humans to sin or commit evil deeds. Others regard the Devil as an allegory that represents a crisis of faith, individualism, free will, wisdom and enlightenment.
In mainstream Christianity, God and the Devil are usually portrayed as fighting over the souls of humans, with the Devil seeking to lure people away from God and into Hell. The Devil commands a force of evil angels, commonly known as demons. Many other religions have a trickster or tempter figure that is similar to the Devil. Modern conceptions of the Devil include the concept that it symbolizes humans' own lower nature or sinfulness.[See more about Devil at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Devil'
'Devil' in famous quotation sentence
* Fear of the devil is one way of doubting God. - Kahlil Gibran
* The devil hath power To assume a pleasing shape. - William Shakespeare
Click here for more related quotations on 'Devil'
Devil Sample Sentences in News
- San Carlos: Devil's Canyon Brewing Co. grows, but keeps family-friendly atmosphere
This summer Devil's Canyon Brewing Co. made a leap that reflects its growing stature, leaving its first home in Belmont and taking over Tesla Motors' old facility in San Carlos. The brewery's cavernous bar and entertainment space is finished, offering weekly evidence of the unique, family-friendly atmosphere co-owner Chris Garrett has created. Read more on this news related to 'Devil'
- Veterans of Famous Devil's Brigade Commemorate the 70th Anniversary of the Battle of Monte La Difensa
Veterans of the famous Devil's Brigade, serving and retired members of the Canadian Special Operations Forces Command , all gathered this evening at Canadian Forces Base Kingston for a ceremony to commemorate ... Read more on this news related to 'Devil'
- Devil Ball Proving Ground: Ping Rapture D.I.
Welcome to Devil Ball's Proving Ground, where we put the latest golf gear through its paces. Today we look at the Ping Rapture D.I. Tester — Shane Bacon — Handicap: +1.0 Target Golf Audience — +5 - 15 handicaps Initial … Continue reading → Read more on this news related to 'Devil'