Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Depopulate'
Depopulate Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
v : reduce in population; "The epidemic depopulated the
countryside" [syn: desolate]
- Depopulate \De*pop"u*late\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Depopulated;
p. pr. & vb. n. Depopulating.] [L. depopulatus, p. p. of
depopulari to ravage; de- + populari to ravage, fr. populus
people: cf. OF. depopuler, F. d['e]peupler. See People.]
To deprive of inhabitants, whether by death or by expulsion;
to reduce greatly the populousness of; to dispeople; to
Where is this viper, That would depopulate the city?
Note: It is not synonymous with laying waste or destroying,
being limited to the loss of inhabitants; as, an army
or a famine may depopulate a country. It rarely
expresses an entire loss of inhabitants, but often a
great diminution of their numbers; as, the deluge
depopulated the earth.
- Depopulate \De*pop"u*late\, v. i.
To become dispeopled. [R.]
Whether the country be depopulating or not.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Depopulate'
- List of Arab towns and villages depopulated during the 1948 Palestinian exodus: This list of Arab towns and villages that were depopulated during the 1948 Palestinian exodus gathers about 500 items. depopulated and ...
- List of villages depopulated during the Arab–Israeli conflict: Below is a list of villages depopulated or destroyed during the Arab-Israeli conflict . villages have been depopulated, the vast majority of ...
- Kurdish villages depopulated by Turkey: The number of Kurdish villages depopulated by Turkey is estimated at around 3,000. Since 1984, the Turkish military has embarked on a ...
- Malina (depopulated settlement): Malina (Serbian Cyrillic: Малина) was depopulated settlement between Bileća and Trebinje in Herzegovina (Republika Srpska, Bosnia and ...