Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Depopulate'
Depopulate Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
v : reduce in population; "The epidemic depopulated the
countryside" [syn: desolate]
- Depopulate \De*pop"u*late\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Depopulated;
p. pr. & vb. n. Depopulating.] [L. depopulatus, p. p. of
depopulari to ravage; de- + populari to ravage, fr. populus
people: cf. OF. depopuler, F. d['e]peupler. See People.]
To deprive of inhabitants, whether by death or by expulsion;
to reduce greatly the populousness of; to dispeople; to
Where is this viper, That would depopulate the city?
Note: It is not synonymous with laying waste or destroying,
being limited to the loss of inhabitants; as, an army
or a famine may depopulate a country. It rarely
expresses an entire loss of inhabitants, but often a
great diminution of their numbers; as, the deluge
depopulated the earth.
- Depopulate \De*pop"u*late\, v. i.
To become dispeopled. [R.]
Whether the country be depopulating or not.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Depopulate'
- List of Arab towns and villages depopulated during the 1948 Palestinian exodus: This list of Arab towns and villages that were depopulated during the 1948 Palestinian exodus gathers about 500 items. depopulated and ...
- List of villages depopulated during the Arab–Israeli conflict: Below is a list of villages depopulated or destroyed during the Arab-Israeli conflict . villages have been depopulated, the vast majority of ...
- Kurdish villages depopulated by Turkey: The number of Kurdish villages depopulated by Turkey is estimated at around 3,000. Since 1984, the Turkish military has embarked on a ...
- Malina (depopulated settlement): Malina (Serbian Cyrillic: Малина) was depopulated settlement between Bileća and Trebinje in Herzegovina (Republika Srpska, Bosnia and ...
Words and phrases related to 'Depopulate'
Depopulate Sample Sentences in News
- U.S. Sentencing Commission takes steps to depopulate federal prisons
In a bid to reduce the federal prison population, the U.S. Sentencing Commission set in motion a change of formula to determine the sentencing of low-level, nonviolent federal drug law offenders. The commission voted Thursday to reduce sentencing guidelines for about 70 percent of federal drug trafficking defenders, and should Congress rubberstamp the proposal, th Read more on this news related to 'Depopulate'