Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Delusion'
- (psychology) an erroneous belief that is held in the face of evidence to the contrary [syn: psychotic belief]
- a mistaken or unfounded opinion or idea; "he has delusions of competence"; "his dreams of vast wealth are a hallucination" [syn: hallucination]
- the act of deluding; deception by creating illusory ideas [syn: illusion, head game]
- Delusion \De*lu"sion\n. [L. delusio, fr. deludere. See
- The act of deluding; deception; a misleading of the mind. --Pope.
- The state of being deluded or misled.
- That which is falsely or delusively believed or propagated; false belief; error in belief. And fondly mourned the dear delusion gone. --Prior. Syn: Delusion, Illusion. Usage: These words both imply some deception practiced upon the mind. Delusion is deception from want of knowledge; illusion is deception from morbid imagination. An illusion is a false show, a mere cheat on the fancy or senses. It is, in other words, some idea or image presented to the bodily or mental vision which does not exist in reality. A delusion is a false judgment, usually affecting the real concerns of life. Or, in other words, it is an erroneous view of something which exists indeed, but has by no means the qualities or attributes ascribed to it. Thus we speak of the illusions of fancy, the illusions of hope, illusive prospects, illusive appearances, etc. In like manner, we speak of the delusions of stockjobbing, the delusions of honorable men, delusive appearances in trade, of being deluded by a seeming excellence. ``A fanatic, either religious or political, is the subject of strong delusions; while the term illusion is applied solely to the visions of an uncontrolled imagination, the chimerical ideas of one blinded by hope, passion, or credulity, or lastly, to spectral and other ocular deceptions, to which the word delusion is never applied.'' --Whately.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Delusion'
A delusion is a fixed belief that is either false, fanciful, or derived from deception. In psychiatry, it is defined to be a belief that is pathological (the result of an illness or illness process) and is held despite evidence to the contrary. As a pathology, it is distinct from a belief based on false or incomplete information, dogma, stupidity, apperception, illusion, or other effects of perception.
Delusions typically occur in the context of neurological or mental illness, although they are not tied to any particular disease and have been found to occur in the context of many pathological states (both physical and mental). However, they are of particular diagnostic importance in psychotic disorders and particularly in schizophrenia, paraphrenia, manic episodes of bipolar disorder, and psychotic depression.[See more about Delusion at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Delusion'
'Delusion' in famous quotation sentence
* A human being is part of a whole, called by us the 'Universe,' a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings, as something separated from the rest--a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circles of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty. - Albert Einstein
* No man is happy without a delusion of some kind. Delusions are as necessary to our happiness as realities. - Christian Nestell Bovee
Click here for more related quotations on 'Delusion'
Delusion Sample Sentences in News
- Monson: Here’s the hard truth about BYU and Utah football
Somebody once said truth hurts but delusion harms. Well … let’s go ahead and sweep away those delusions as they relate to the state of college football in Utah — what it is and maybe what it never was. One of the hard lessons learned and relearned from the 2013 season is that teams and programs around here aren’t anywhere near as relevant or near to being Read more on this news related to 'Delusion'
- Sunnyvale shorts: Ride for Toys event to benefit Sunnyvale Community Services
FHS presents production of 'Delusion'The Fremont High School Theatre Department will present the Bay Area premiere of Delusion, a supernatural murder mystery by Robert Patrick, on Dec. Read more on this news related to 'Delusion'
- Kenya's diplomatic delusion gets deeper
Kenya seems obsessed with the International Criminal Court and its indictment against President Uhuru Kenyatta. The chest-thumping is 'misguided.' Read more on this news related to 'Delusion'