Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Deaden'
Deaden Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- make vague or obscure or make (an image) less visible; "muffle the message" [syn: dampen, damp]
- cut a girdle around so as to kill by interrupting the circulation of water and nutrients; "girdle the plant" [syn: girdle]
- make vapid or deprive of spirit; "deadened wine"
- lessen the momentum or velocity of; "deaden a ship's headway"
- become lifeless, less lively, intense, or active; lose life, force, or vigor
- make less lively, intense, or vigorous; impair in vigor, force, activity, or sensation; "Terror blunted her feelings"; "deaden a sound" [syn: blunt] [ant: enliven]
- convert (metallic mercury) into a grey powder consisting of minute globules, as by shaking with chalk or fatty oil
- Deaden \Dead"en\, v. t.
To render impervious to sound, as a wall or floor; to deafen.
- Deaden \Dead"en\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Deadened; p. pr. & vb.
n. Deadening.] [From Dead; cf. AS. d?dan to kill, put to
death. See Dead, a.]
- To make as dead; to impair in vigor, force, activity, or sensation; to lessen the force or acuteness of; to blunt; as, to deaden the natural powers or feelings; to deaden a sound.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Deaden'
- Deaden: Deaden is a death metal band from U.S. founded in 1992 by the drummer Ethan Deppe and the guitarist Drew Stockman. Band members ...
Words and phrases related to 'Deaden'
Deaden Sample Sentences in News
- No current Deaden news