Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Deaden'
Deaden Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- make vague or obscure or make (an image) less visible; "muffle the message" [syn: dampen, damp]
- cut a girdle around so as to kill by interrupting the circulation of water and nutrients; "girdle the plant" [syn: girdle]
- make vapid or deprive of spirit; "deadened wine"
- lessen the momentum or velocity of; "deaden a ship's headway"
- become lifeless, less lively, intense, or active; lose life, force, or vigor
- make less lively, intense, or vigorous; impair in vigor, force, activity, or sensation; "Terror blunted her feelings"; "deaden a sound" [syn: blunt] [ant: enliven]
- convert (metallic mercury) into a grey powder consisting of minute globules, as by shaking with chalk or fatty oil
- Deaden \Dead"en\, v. t.
To render impervious to sound, as a wall or floor; to deafen.
- Deaden \Dead"en\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Deadened; p. pr. & vb.
n. Deadening.] [From Dead; cf. AS. d?dan to kill, put to
death. See Dead, a.]
- To make as dead; to impair in vigor, force, activity, or sensation; to lessen the force or acuteness of; to blunt; as, to deaden the natural powers or feelings; to deaden a sound.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Deaden'
- Deaden: Deaden is a death metal band from U.S. founded in 1992 by the drummer Ethan Deppe and the guitarist Drew Stockman. Band members ...
Words and phrases related to 'Deaden'