Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Daze'
Daze Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- the feeling of distress and disbelief that you have when something bad happens accidentally; "his mother's deathleft him in a daze"; "he was numb with shock" [syn: shock, stupor]
- confusion characterized by lack of clarity [syn: fog, haze] v
- to cause someone to lose clear vision, especially from intense light; "She was dazzled by the bright headlights" [syn: dazzle, bedazzle]
- overcome as with astonishment or disbelief; "The news stunned her" [syn: stun, bedaze]
- Daze \Daze\ (d[=a]z), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Dazed (d[=a]zd); p.
pr. & vb. n. Dazing.] [OE. dasen, prob. from Icel. dasask
to become weary, a reflexive verb; cf. Sw. dasa to lie idle,
and OD. daesen to be foolish, insane, daes, dwaes, D. dwaas,
foolish, insane, AS. dw[=ae]s, dysig, stupid. [root]7
- Cf. Dizzy, Doze.] To stupefy with excess of light; with a blow, with cold, or with fear; to confuse; to benumb. While flashing beams do daze his feeble eyen. --Spenser. Such souls, Whose sudden visitations daze the world. --Sir H. Taylor. He comes out of the room in a dazed state, that is an odd though a sufficient substitute for interest. --Dickens.
- Daze \Daze\, n.
- The state of being dazed; as, he was in a daze. [Colloq.]
- (Mining) A glittering stone.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Daze'
- Daze: Daze may refer to: Places : Daze , a village in Tenkodogo Department, Boulgou, Burkina Faso. Music : Daze , a Eurodance band. Daze , an American ...
- Daze (comics): Daze is a fictional character who appeared in Marvel Comics ' MC2 series J2 . Fictional character biography: Magneta sent a note to J2 and ...
- Daze (Eurodance band): Daze was a Danish Eurodance /Bubblegum dance band whose 1997 debut album Super Heroes became a double platinum international hit The band ...
- School Daze: School Daze is a 1988 American musical -drama film, written and directed by Spike Lee , and starring Laurence Fishburne , Giancarlo ...
- Glory Daze: Glory Daze is an independent film starring Ben Affleck , Sam Rockwell , French Stewart and Alyssa Milano . It had a limited release in ...
- Wedding Daze: Wedding Daze, (also known as The Pleasure of Your Company and The Next Girl I See) is a 2006 romantic comedy movie, written and ...
- National Lampoon Presents Dorm Daze: National Lampoon Presents Dorm Daze (2003 ) is a comedy movie. The film was directed by the brothers David and Scott Hillenbrand and ...
- Army Daze: Army Daze is a Singapore an film released in 1996. A comedy based on the National Service experience by a group of enlistees in the ...
- Happy Daze: Happy Daze could refer to: Happy Daze (Lindisfarne album) - 1974 Album by Lindisfarne Happy Daze (album) - 2001 Battlefield Band album ...
Words and phrases related to 'Daze'
Daze Sample Sentences in News
- Lawyer: Engineer in 'daze' before NYC train crash
YONKERS, N.Y. (AP) — An engineer whose speeding commuter train ran off the rails along a curve, killing four people, experienced a hypnotic-like daze and nodded at the controls before he suddenly realized something was wrong and hit the brakes, a lawyer said as a federal regulator called for the railroad to make immediate safety improvements. Read more on this news related to 'Daze'
- Driver in fatal New York train crash was 'in a daze': sources
By Chris Francescani , Mark Hosenball and Curtis Skinner (Reuters) - The driver of a New York commuter train that derailed on Sunday, killing four people, told investigators he was "in a daze" shortly before the crash, sources said, and officials lamented his train lacked technology that could have prevented the accident. The seven-car Metro-North train Read more on this news related to 'Daze'
- Lawyer: NY engineer had 'daze' before train wreck
YONKERS, N.Y. (AP) — An engineer whose speeding commuter train ran off the rails along a curve, killing four people, experienced a hypnosis-like "daze" and nodded at the controls just before the wreck, and by the time he caught himself it was too late, people representing him said Tuesday. Read more on this news related to 'Daze'