Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Damp'
adj : slightly wet; "clothes damp with perspiration"; "a moist
breeze"; "eyes moist with tears" [syn: dampish, moist]
n : a slight wetness [syn: dampness, moistness]
- deaden (a sound or noise), especially by wrapping [syn: muffle, mute, dull, dampen, tone down]
- restrain or discourage; "the sudden bad news damped the joyous atmosphere"
- make vague or obscure or make (an image) less visible; "muffle the message" [syn: dampen, deaden]
- lessen in force or effect; "soften a shock"; "break a fall" [syn: dampen, soften, weaken, break]
- Damp \Damp\, a. [Compar. Damper; superl. Dampest.]
- Being in a state between dry and wet; moderately wet; moist; humid. O'erspread with a damp sweat and holy fear. --Dryden.
- Dejected; depressed; sunk. [R.] All these and more came flocking, but with looks Downcast and damp. --Milton.
- Damp \Damp\ (d[a^]mp), n. [Akin to LG., D., & Dan. damp vapor,
steam, fog, G. dampf, Icel. dampi, Sw. damb dust, and to MNG.
dimpfen to smoke, imp. dampf.]
- Moisture; humidity; fog; fogginess; vapor. Night . . . with black air Accompanied, with damps and dreadful gloom. --Milton.
- Dejection; depression; cloud of the mind. Even now, while thus I stand blest in thy presence, A secret damp of grief comes o'er my soul. --Addison. It must have thrown a damp over your autumn excursion. --J. D. Forbes.
- (Mining) A gaseous product, formed in coal mines, old
wells, pints, etc.
Choke damp, a damp consisting principally of carbonic acid
gas; -- so called from its extinguishing flame and animal
220 catflap.bishopston.net dictd 1.11.2/rf on FreeBSD 8.1-STABLE
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Damp'
Moisture generally refers to the presence of water, often in trace amounts.
Control of moisture in products can be a vital part of the process of the product. There is a substantial amount of moisture in what seems to be dry matter. Ranging in products from cornflake cereals to washing powders, moisture can play an important role in the final quality of the product. There are two main aspects of concern in moisture control in products: allowing too much moisture or too little of it. Both can have advantages and disadvantages, so processing industries come up with the ideal moisture content for their product. This is because if you take the case of cornflake cereals, which is sold by weight, then the more moisture or water you add the less corn you have to pack into a box of cornflake cereals, the more boxes you can sale, because a substantial part of the weight is filled up by water. But then you risk your product being of low quality since you will affect the "crunchiness" and the freshness of your product since you have created optimum conditions for bacteria to live in: a source of carbohydrates to draw energy from and water vital to life. Nevertheless adding too little moisture will mean your product is very dry and so weight decreases, and you have to make up the rest of the final box of cereals with more cornflakes. This seems like too much hassle when you think of only 500 grams of cereal, adding some more cornflakes will seem like it will not affect the producer. But when you produce thousands of kilos of cornflakes, then you realise that you could either be selling the same amount of cornflake boxes at a cheaper production price, since you will use less corn, or you could, otherwise, increase your production.[See more about Damp at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Damp'
'Damp' in famous quotation sentence
Click here for more related quotations on 'Damp'
Damp Sample Sentences in News
- Damp spots found in supposedly dry Martian tropics
Images of dark streaks near the equator hint that liquid water is active on modern Mars, which may spell trouble for future missions Read more on this news related to 'Damp'
- Portland weekend weather: A return to damp, cool temperatures
The arctic blast is over -- for now. Here comes the rain and balmy daytime highs around 45 degrees. You know, sandal weather. Read more on this news related to 'Damp'
- Winter storm slams Syrian refugees
Thousands crammed into damp, muddy tents struggle to keep warm as unusually harsh winter blast hits over-crowded camps Read more on this news related to 'Damp'