Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Cue'
Cue Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- an actor's line that immediately precedes and serves as a reminder for some action or speech
- evidence that helps to solve a problem [syn: clue, clew]
- a stimulus that provides information about what to do [syn: discriminative stimulus]
- sports implement consisting of a tapering rod used to strike a cue ball in pool or billiards [syn: cue stick, pool cue, pool stick] v : assist (somebody acting or reciting) by suggesting the next words of something forgotten or imperfectly learned [syn: prompt, remind]
- Cue \Cue\ (k[=u]), n. [ OF. coue, coe, F. queue, fr. L. coda,
cauda, tail. Cf. Caudal, Coward, Queue.]
- The tail; the end of a thing; especially, a tail-like twist of hair worn at the back of the head; a queue.
- The last words of a play actor's speech, serving as an intimation for the next succeeding player to speak; any word or words which serve to remind a player to speak or to do something; a catchword. When my cue comes, call me, and I will answer. --Shak.
- A hint or intimation. Give them [the servants] their cue to attend in two lines as he leaves the house. --Swift.
- The part one has to perform in, or as in, a play. Were it my cueto fight, I should have known it Without a prompter. --Shak.
- Humor; temper of mind. [Colloq.] --Dickens.
- A straight tapering rod used to impel the balls in playing billiards.
- Cue \Cue\, v. t.
To form into a cue; to braid; to twist.
- Cue \Cue\, n. [From q, an abbreviation for quadrans a farthing.]
A small portion of bread or beer; the quantity bought with a
farthing or half farthing. [Obs.]
Note: The term was formerly current in the English
universities, the letter q being the mark in the
buttery books to denote such a portion. --Nares.
Hast thou worn Gowns in the university, tossed
logic, Sucked philosophy, eat cues? --Old Play.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Cue'
- Cue: Cue or CUE may refer to: Event markers : Sensory cue , in perception (experimental psychology) Cue (theatrical), the trigger for an action to ...
- Cue sheet (computing): A cue sheet, or cue file, is a metadata file which describes how the track s of a CD or DVD are laid out. Cue sheets are stored as ...
- Cue stick: A cue stick (or simply cue, more specifically pool cue, snooker cue, or billiards cue), is an item of sport ing equipment essential to the ...
- Cue, Western Australia: Cue is a small town in the Mid West region of Western Australia , located 650 km north-east of Perth . At the 2006 census , Cue had a ...
- Cue mark: A cue mark, also known as a cue dot, a changeover cue or simply a cue is a visual indicator used with motion picture film prints, usually ...
- Cue (theatrical): A theatrical cue is the trigger for an action to be carried out at a specific time. It is generally associated with theatre and the film ...
- Electoral district of Cue: Cue was an electoral district of the Legislative Assembly in the Australia n state of Western Australia from 1901 to 1930. ...
- Shire of Cue: The Shire of Cue is a Local Government Area in the Mid West region of Western Australia , about 420 | km | mi | 0 east-northeast of the ...
- Sensory cue: A sensory cue is a statistic or signal that can be extracted from the sensory input by a perceiver, that indicates the state of some ...
Words and phrases related to 'Cue'
Cue Sample Sentences in News
- Colin Tizzard warns of virus in stable of King George hope Cue Card
• Big-race favourite looking well for Boxing Day feature • Sprinter Sacre tests likely to be released on Tuesday Cue Card, the 11-4 favourite for next week's King George VI Chase, was reported in excellent health by his trainer, Colin Tizzard, here on Monday but some of his stablemates are not so well and the possibility exists that the best horse in the y Read more on this news related to 'Cue'
- Cue named Athlete of the Week
University of South Dakota freshman pitcher Rachel Cue was named Summit League Pitcher of the Week for the period ended April 13 the league office announced today. It is the first career honor for Cue, who hails from Garden Grove, CA. Cue didn’t allow an earned run in two complete-game … Read Article → The post Cue named Athlete of the Week appeared first on Read more on this news related to 'Cue'
- Injured Cue Card is ruled out of the Cheltenham Festival
• Popular chaser was fourth favourite for Cheltenham Gold Cup • Trainer reveals horse has pulled muscles and misses meeting Cue Card, one of the most popular horses in training, is injured and has been ruled out of next month's Cheltenham Festival by his trainer Colin Tizzard. The chaser was being aimed at the Cheltenham Gold Cup and was fourth favourite f Read more on this news related to 'Cue'