Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Cue'
Cue Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- an actor's line that immediately precedes and serves as a reminder for some action or speech
- evidence that helps to solve a problem [syn: clue, clew]
- a stimulus that provides information about what to do [syn: discriminative stimulus]
- sports implement consisting of a tapering rod used to strike a cue ball in pool or billiards [syn: cue stick, pool cue, pool stick] v : assist (somebody acting or reciting) by suggesting the next words of something forgotten or imperfectly learned [syn: prompt, remind]
- Cue \Cue\ (k[=u]), n. [ OF. coue, coe, F. queue, fr. L. coda,
cauda, tail. Cf. Caudal, Coward, Queue.]
- The tail; the end of a thing; especially, a tail-like twist of hair worn at the back of the head; a queue.
- The last words of a play actor's speech, serving as an intimation for the next succeeding player to speak; any word or words which serve to remind a player to speak or to do something; a catchword. When my cue comes, call me, and I will answer. --Shak.
- A hint or intimation. Give them [the servants] their cue to attend in two lines as he leaves the house. --Swift.
- The part one has to perform in, or as in, a play. Were it my cueto fight, I should have known it Without a prompter. --Shak.
- Humor; temper of mind. [Colloq.] --Dickens.
- A straight tapering rod used to impel the balls in playing billiards.
- Cue \Cue\, v. t.
To form into a cue; to braid; to twist.
- Cue \Cue\, n. [From q, an abbreviation for quadrans a farthing.]
A small portion of bread or beer; the quantity bought with a
farthing or half farthing. [Obs.]
Note: The term was formerly current in the English
universities, the letter q being the mark in the
buttery books to denote such a portion. --Nares.
Hast thou worn Gowns in the university, tossed
logic, Sucked philosophy, eat cues? --Old Play.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Cue'
- Cue: Cue or CUE may refer to: Event markers : Sensory cue , in perception (experimental psychology) Cue (theatrical), the trigger for an action to ...
- Cue sheet (computing): A cue sheet, or cue file, is a metadata file which describes how the track s of a CD or DVD are laid out. Cue sheets are stored as ...
- Cue stick: A cue stick (or simply cue, more specifically pool cue, snooker cue, or billiards cue), is an item of sport ing equipment essential to the ...
- Cue, Western Australia: Cue is a small town in the Mid West region of Western Australia , located 650 km north-east of Perth . At the 2006 census , Cue had a ...
- Cue mark: A cue mark, also known as a cue dot, a changeover cue or simply a cue is a visual indicator used with motion picture film prints, usually ...
- Cue (theatrical): A theatrical cue is the trigger for an action to be carried out at a specific time. It is generally associated with theatre and the film ...
- Electoral district of Cue: Cue was an electoral district of the Legislative Assembly in the Australia n state of Western Australia from 1901 to 1930. ...
- Shire of Cue: The Shire of Cue is a Local Government Area in the Mid West region of Western Australia , about 420 | km | mi | 0 east-northeast of the ...
- Sensory cue: A sensory cue is a statistic or signal that can be extracted from the sensory input by a perceiver, that indicates the state of some ...
Words and phrases related to 'Cue'