Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Crucify'
- kill by nailing onto a cross; "Jesus Christ was crucified"
- treat cruelly; "The children tormented the stuttering teacher" [syn: torment, rag, bedevil, dun, frustrate]
- criticize harshly or violently; "The press savaged the new President"; "The critics crucified the author for plagiarizing a famous passage" [syn: savage, pillory] [also: crucified]
- Crucify \Cru"ci*fy\ (-f?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Crucified
(-f?d); p. pr. & vb. n. Crucifying.] [F. crucifier, fr.
(assumed) LL. crucificare, for crucifigere, fr, L. crux,
crucis, cross + figere to fix, the ending -figere being
changed to -ficare, F. -fier (in compounds), as if fr. L.
facere to do, make. See Cross, and Fix, and cf.
- To fasten to a cross; to put to death by nailing the hands and feet to a cross or gibbet. They cried, saying, Crucify him, cricify him. --Luke xxiii. 21.
- To destroy the power or ruling influence of; to subdue completely; to mortify. They that are Christ's have crucified the flesh, with the affections and lusts. --Gal. v. 24.
- To vex or torment. --Beau. & FL.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Crucify'
Crucifixion is an ancient method of painful execution in which the condemned person is tied or nailed to a large wooden cross (of various shapes) and left to hang until dead. The term comes from the Latin crucifixio ("fixing to a cross", from the prefix cruci-, from crux ("cross"), + verb figere, "fix or bind fast".)
Crucifixion was in use particularly among the Seleucids, Carthaginians, and Romans from about the 6th century BC to the 4th century AD. In the year 337, Emperor Constantine I abolished it in the Roman Empire, out of veneration for Jesus Christ, the most famous victim of crucifixion. It was also used as a form of execution in Japan for criminals, inflicted also on some Christians.
A crucifix (an image of Christ crucified on a cross) is the main religious symbol for Catholics, Eastern Orthodox and Oriental Orthodox, but most Protestant Christians prefer to use a cross without the figure (the "corpus" - Latin for "body") of Christ. Most crucifixes portray Jesus on a Latin cross, rather than any other shape, such as a Tau cross or a Greek cross.[See more about Crucify at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Crucify'
'Crucify' in famous quotation sentence
Click here for more related quotations on 'Crucify'
Crucify Sample Sentences in News
- Richard Pryor Crucifies Himself, Again and Again
“Least you got to see a motherfucker crucify himself,” Richard Pryor spits in the most surprising footage director Marina Zenovich has unearthed for her new documentary Richard Pryor: Omit the Logic . The scene is of Pryor’s last great cock-up just before his last, great c... Read more on this news related to 'Crucify'
- IRS To Conservatives: "Provide Details Regarding All Of Your Facebook Or Twitter Activity"
It has become difficult to keep track of all the different "- gates " the Obama administration has suddenly found itself embroiled in: perhaps an appropriate name would be Gate-r-gate ? And with the just concluded farce in which Jay Carney passed off all AP-related questions to Eric Holder, who in turn recused himself and told the media to please crucify Read more on this news related to 'Crucify'
- Icahn Hikes Stake In Herbalife Again, Now Owns 16.5% Of Company; Shorts Sweating
It was exactly two months since Icahn last issued a 13D in Herbalife, at which time he reported that he owned 15.5% of the company, following yet another stock buying spree. Moments ago, the billionaire, set on a mission to crucify Bill Ackman, updated his latest holdings in HLF stock with another 13D filing, which shows that on March 8 and May 3, his various fund Read more on this news related to 'Crucify'