Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Crackle'
adj : having the surface decorated with a network of fine cracks,
as in crackleware; "a crackle glaze"
- the sharp sound of snapping noises [syn: crackling, crepitation]
- glazed china with a network of fine cracks on the surface [syn: crackleware, crackle china] v
- make a crackling sound; "My Rice Crispies crackled in the bowl" [syn: crepitate]
- make crunching noises; "his shoes were crunching on the gravel" [syn: crunch, scranch, scraunch]
- to become, or to cause to become, covered with a network of small cracks; "The blazing sun crackled the desert sand"
- Crackle \Crac"kle\ (kr[a^]k"k'l), v. i. [Dim. of crack.]
To make slight cracks; to make small, sharp, sudden noises,
rapidly or frequently repeated; to crepitate; as, burning
The unknown ice that crackles underneath them.
- Crackle \Crac"kle\, n.
- The noise of slight and frequent cracks or reports; a crackling. The crackle of fireworks. --Carlyle.
- (Med.) A kind of crackling sound or r[^a]le, heard in some abnormal states of the lungs; as, dry crackle; moist crackle. --Quain.
- (Fine Arts) A condition produced in certain porcelain, fine earthenware, or glass, in which the glaze or enamel appears to be cracked in all directions, making a sort of reticulated surface; as, Chinese crackle; Bohemian crackle.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Crackle'
Crackle is a digital network and studio (formerly known as Grouper), offering commercial-supported streaming movies, television, and original web productions. Owned and operated by Sony Pictures Entertainment (SPE), Crackle’s library consists mainly of Sony's library of films and television shows. In April 2009, Crackle blocked access to anyone not in the United States of America. On June 8, 2010, Crackle announced it had opened up access to selected content on the site to viewers in the UK, Canada and Australia. Crackle presents its videos in the Flash Video format. Crackle also provides its content through its web syndication network, including YouTube, Hulu, AOL, MySpace, as well as mobile service providers. See Distribution for a full list.
In January 2004 Grouper Networks, Inc. was founded in San Francisco by Josh Felser, Aviv Eyal, Dave Samuel and Mike Sitrin. The company was created to create a new way to share personal media files on the United States internet using P2P networking technology. The company was self-funded by the founder and later raised a VC round. Grouper was released as a desktop application for the Windows platform in May 2005 and won PC Magazine best p2p file sharing software award. The company first offices were in Mill Valley, CA. The company later moved to Sausalito, CA. Among the company early key developers were Piers Haken and Steve Hazel. David Porter was the company's main system administrator. The reason the company was named Grouper Networks was to signify that it is about creating software for a group of family members or friends to share media with each other.[See more about Crackle at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Crackle'
Crackle Sample Sentences in News
- Crackle Now Available on Playstation Vita
PS Vita system owners can now watch Crackle's curated collection of Hollywood movies, television and original series, including genres like action, comedy, crime, horror and sci-fi. Read more on this news related to 'Crackle'
- PlayStation Vita scores Crackle access
Crackle may not have the brand recognition of Netflix, but it still boasts a solid user base, offering Internet goers and device owners access to a library of movies and … Continue reading Read more on this news related to 'Crackle'
- Crackle Launches on PlayStation Vita
A whole library of movies and television shows is coming to your handheld. For free. Read more on this news related to 'Crackle'