Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Cope'
n : brick that is laid sideways at the top of a wall [syn: header,
v : come to terms or deal successfully with; "We got by on just
a gallon of gas"; "They made do on half a loaf of bread
every day" [syn: get by, make out, make do, contend,
grapple, deal, manage]
- Cope \Cope\, v. i.
To form a cope or arch; to bend or arch; to bow. [Obs.]
Some bending down and coping toward the earth.
- Cope \Cope\, v. t. (Falconry)
To pare the beak or talons of (a hawk). --J. H. Walsh.
- Cope \Cope\, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Coped (k[=o]pt); p. pr. & vb.
n. Coping.] [OE. copen, coupen, to buy, bargain, prob. from
D. koopen to buy, orig., to bargain. See Cheap.]
- To exchange or barter. [Obs.] --Spenser.
- To encounter; to meet; to have to do with. Horatio, thou art e'en as just a man As e'er my conversation coped withal. --Shak.
- To enter into or maintain a hostile contest; to struggle; to combat; especially, to strive or contend on equal terms or with success; to match; to equal; -- usually followed by with. Host coped with host, dire was the din of war. --Philips. Their generals have not been able to cope with the troops of Athens. --Addison.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Cope'
The cope (known in Latin as pluviale 'rain coat' or cappa 'cape') is a liturgical vestment, a very long mantle or cloak, open in front and fastened at the breast with a band or clasp. It may be of any liturgical colour.
A cope may be worn by any rank of the clergy, and also by lay ministers in certain circumstances. If worn by a bishop, it is generally accompanied by a mitre. The clasp, which is often highly ornamented, is called a morse.
There has been little change in the character of the vestment from the earliest ages. Then as now it was made of a piece of silk or other cloth of semicircular shape, which distinguished it from the earlier form of chasuble, as a chasuble had straight edges sewn together in front. Both are similar in form and origin to the Orthodox phelonion.[See more about Cope at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Cope'
'Cope' in famous quotation sentence
* The common dogma of fundamentalists is fear of modern knowledge, inability to cope with the fast change in a scientific-technological society, and the real breakdown in apparent moral order in recent years.... That is why hate is the major fuel, fear is the cement of the movement, and superstitious ignorance is the best defence against the dangerous new knowledge. ... When you bring up arguments that cast serious doubts on their cherished beliefs you are not simply making a rhetorical point, you are threatening their whole Universe and their immortality. That provokes anger and quite frequently violence. ... Unfortunately you cannot reason with them and you even risk violence in confronting them. Their numbers will decline only when society stabilizes, and adapts to modernity. - G Gaia
* An occasional lucky guess as to what makes a wife tick is the best a man can hope for, Even then, no sooner has he learned how to cope with the tick than she tocks. - Ogden Nash
Click here for more related quotations on 'Cope'
Cope Sample Sentences in News
- Sports Awards: Matt Cope helps Meakins Cricket Club develop next...
MEAKINS Cricket Club's senior teams enjoyed a fruitful 2013, but their junior section also has plenty of reason to celebrate.The first and second teams both clinched promotion in the Familyhomes4u North Staffs and South Cheshire League last summer – and the wheels have been set in motion to produce homegrown talent for the future.Before last season, the club Read more on this news related to 'Cope'
- Belgium can cope with World Cup expectation, says Hazard
Belgium midfielder Eden Hazard believes their highly-rated squad can cope with the weight of expectation being heaped on them ahead of this year's World Cup finals in Brazil. With a sparkling array of talent plying their trade in the English Premier League, including Chelsea's Hazard, Manchester City captain Vincent Kompany, Everton's on-loan striker R Read more on this news related to 'Cope'
- Cope looks to make a difference on Capitol Hill
Ken Cope, a Republican candidate for the U.S. Senate, is an anomaly in this year’s primary election. Read more on this news related to 'Cope'