Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Construction'
- the act of constructing or building something; "during the construction we had to take a detour"; "his hobby was the building of boats" [syn: building]
- the commercial activity involved in constructing buildings; "their main business is home construction"; "workers in the building trades" [syn: building]
- a thing constructed; a complex construction or entity; "the structure consisted of a series of arches"; "she wore her hair in an amazing construction of whirls and ribbons" [syn: structure]
- a group of words that form a constituent of a sentence and are considered as a single unit; "I concluded from his awkward constructions that he was a foreigner" [syn: grammatical construction, expression] [ant: misconstruction]
- the creation of a construct; the process of combining ideas into a congruous object of thought [syn: mental synthesis]
- an interpretation of a text or action; "they put an unsympathetic construction on his conduct" [syn: twist]
- drawing a figure satisfying certain conditions as part of solving a problem or proving a theorem; "the assignment was to make a construction that could be used in proving the Pythagorean theorem"
- Construction \Con*struc"tion\, n. [L. constructio: cf. F.
- The process or art of constructing; the act of building; erection; the act of devising and forming; fabrication; composition.
- The form or manner of building or putting together the parts of anything; structure; arrangement. An astrolabe of peculiar construction. --Whewell.
- (Gram.) The arrangement and connection of words in a sentence; syntactical arrangement. Some particles . . . in certain constructions have the sense of a whole sentence contained in them. --Locke.
- The method of construing, interpreting, or explaining a declaration or fact; an attributed sense or meaning; understanding; explanation; interpretation; sense. Any person . . . might, by the sort of construction that would be put on this act, become liable to the penalties of treason. --Hallam. Strictly, the term [construction] signifies determining the meaning and proper effect of language by a consideration of the subject matter and attendant circumstances in connection with the
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Construction'
In the fields of architecture and civil engineering, construction is a process that consists of the building or assembling of infrastructure. Far from being a single activity, large scale construction is a feat of human multitasking. Normally, the job is managed by a project manager, and supervised by a construction manager, design engineer, construction engineer, or project architect.
For the successful execution of a project, effective planning is essential. Those involved with the design and execution of the infrastructure in question must consider the environmental impact of the job, the successful scheduling, budgeting, construction site safety, availability of building materials, logistics, inconvenience to the public caused by construction delays, and bidding, etc.
In general, there are three types of construction:[See more about Construction at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Construction'
'Construction' in famous quotation sentence
* People just naturally assume that dogs would be incapable of working together on some sort of construction project. But what about just a big field full of holes - Jack Handey Deep Thoughts
* When God temporarily rolled up the building plans of prophecy and placed them aside, He made known a secret set of plans. With this program came a completely new set of blueprints. According to the counsel of His will, He had predetermined to call Paul as the masterbuilder of the project. So then, the instructions for our building program are found in Paul's epistles. Little wonder the apostles says 'I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon' (1 Cor. 310). It is essential to use Pauline construction materials (grace doctrines), simply because someday soon the Building Inspector will examine our workmanship to determine if we followed His codes. - Paul Sadler
Click here for more related quotations on 'Construction'
Construction Sample Sentences in News
- Construction Activity on the Rise After Weather-Hit February
These figures are taken from Barbour ABI's latest Economic & Construction Market Review, which also shows that residential construction is still the most dominant type of contract awarded in the UK, accounting for more than a third of the total contracts by value. Only two of the past 12 months have seen residential construction take a slice less than 30 per c Read more on this news related to 'Construction'
- Construction in the UK - Key Trends and Opportunities to 2018
NEW YORK, April 24, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Reportlinker.com announces that a new market research report is available in its catalogue: Construction in the UK – Key Trends and Opportunities to 2018 http://www.reportlinker.com/p01045348/Construction-in-the-UK-–-Key-Trends-and-Opportunities-to-2018.html ... Read more on this news related to 'Construction'
- Construction union linked to firm with alleged Mafia ties
Canada’s largest construction union signed an unusual agreement two years ago with a private labour firm connected to what police have described as one of the country’s top organized crime figures. The Labourers’ International Union of North America (LiUNA) entered into a collective bargaining agreement in 2012 with Construction Labour Force (CLF), a company Read more on this news related to 'Construction'