Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Consent'
n : permission to do something; "he indicated his consent"
v : give an affirmative reply to; respond favorably to; "I
cannot accept your invitation"; "I go for this
resolution" [syn: accept, go for] [ant: refuse]
- Consent \Con*sent"\, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Consented; p. pr. &
vb. n Consenting.] [F. consentir, fr. L. consentire,
-sensum, to feel together, agree; con- + sentire to feel. See
- To agree in opinion or sentiment; to be of the same mind; to accord; to concur. And Saul was consenting unto his death. --Acts. viii. 1. Flourishing many years before Wyclif, and much consenting with him in jugdment. --Fuller.
- To indicate or express a willingness; to yield to guidance, persuasion, or necessity; to give assent or approval; to comply. My poverty, but not my will, consents. --Shak. And whispering ``I will ne'er consent,'' -- consented. --Byron. Syn: To accede; yield; assent; comply; agree; allow; concede; permit; admit; concur; acquiesce.
- Consent \Con*sent"\, v. t.
To grant; to allow; to assent to; to admit. [Obs.]
Interpreters . . . will not consent it to be a true
- Consent \Con*sent"\, n. [Cf. OF. consent.]
- Agreement in opinion or sentiment; the being of one mind; accord. All with one consent began to make exuse. --Luke xiv. 18. They feil together all, as by consent. --Shak.
- Correspondence in parts, qualities, or operations; agreement; harmony; coherence. The melodious consent of the birds. --Holland. Such is the world's great harmony that springs From union, order, full consent of things. --Pope.
- Voluntary accordance with, or concurrence in, what is done or proposed by another; acquiescence; compliance; approval; permission. Thou wert possessed of David's throne By free consent of all. --Milton.
- (Law) Capable, deliberate, and voluntary assent or agreement to, or concurrence in, some act or purpose, implying physical and mental power and free action.
- (Physiol.) Sympathy. See Sympathy, 4.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Consent'
Consent refers to the provision of approval or assent, particularly and especially after thoughtful consideration.
Consent can be either expressed or implied. For example, participation in a contact sport usually implies consent to contact by other participants, when contact is permitted by the rules of the sport. Express consent exists when verbal or written contractual agreement occurs.
If a person signs a document stating that he or she is aware of the hazards of an activity, and that individual is then injured during that activity, the express consent given in advance may excuse another person who caused an injury to that person.
In English law, the principle of volenti non fit injuria applies not only to participants in sport, but also to spectators and to any others who willingly engage in activities where there is a risk of injury. Consent has also been used as a defense in cases involving accidental deaths, which occur during sexual bondage. Time (May 23, 1988) referred to this latter example, as the "rough-sex defense" but it is not effective in English law when serious injury or death results.[See more about Consent at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Consent'
'Consent' in famous quotation sentence
* But I am sure that I have always thought of Christmas time, when it has come round...as a good time a kind, forgiving, charitable, pleasant time the only time I know of, in the long calendar of the year, when men and women seem by one consent to open their shut-up hearts freely. - Charles Dickens
* You are forgiven for your happiness and your successes only if you generously consent to share them. - William Blake
Click here for more related quotations on 'Consent'
Consent Sample Sentences in News
- Intelsat Announces Amendment of Consent Solicitation
Intelsat S.A. [NYSE: I], the world’s leading provider of satellite services, today announced that its subsidiary, Intelsat Jackson Holdings S.A. , is amending t Read more on this news related to 'Consent'
- B&G Foods Announces a Cash Tender Offer and Consent Solicitation for Its 7.625% Senior Notes Due 2018
B&G Foods, Inc. announced today that it has launched a cash tender offer and consent solicitation for any and all of its outstanding 7.625% Senior Notes due 2018 (t Read more on this news related to 'Consent'
- Inergy Midstream Announces Commencement of Consent Solicitation
Inergy Midstream, L.P. announced the commencement of a consent solicitation relating to its 6.0% Senior Notes due 2020 on the terms and subject to the conditions set forth in the Consent Solicitation Statement dated May 14, 2013. Read more on this news related to 'Consent'