Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Commode'
- a plumbing fixture for defecation and urination [syn: toilet, can, crapper, pot, potty, stool, throne]
- a tall elegant chest of drawers [syn: chiffonier]
- Commode \Com*mode"\, n. [F. commode, fr. commode convenient, L.
commodus; com- + modus measure, mode. See Mode.]
- A kind of headdress formerly worn by ladies, raising the hair and fore part of the cap to a great height. Or under high commodes, with looks erect. --Granville.
- A piece of furniture, so named according to temporary fashion; as: (a) A chest of drawers or a bureau. (b) A night stand with a compartment for holding a chamber vessel. (c) A kind of close stool. (d) A movable sink or stand for a wash bowl, with closet.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Commode'
A commode, commode with legs, or commode on legs is any of several pieces of furniture. The word commode comes from the French word for "convenient" or "suitable", which in turn comes from the Latin adjective commodus, with similar meanings.
Originally, in French furniture, a commode introduced about 1700 meant a low cabinet, or chest of drawers at the height of the dado rail (à hauteur d'appui). A commode, made by an ébéniste (cabinet-maker) and applied with gilt-bronze mounts, was a piece of veneered case furniture much wider than it was high, raised on high or low legs pairs of encoignures or corner-cabinets might also be designed to complement a commode and stand in the flanking corners of a room. If a commode had open shelves flanking the main section it was a commode à l'anglaise[See more about Commode at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Commode'
Commode Sample Sentences in News
- New Commode-ities: Posh, Private Potties Coming to Midtown
The potty-plex. ( Facebook ) We've all been there: walking down the streets of New York and suddenly you've got to go. And no, Starbucks is NOT an option. Beginning this summer, NYC will finally have a pay-per-use facility filled with private, soundproof bathrooms and motion-censored toilets and sinks. POSH Stow and Go will provide these luxuries near G Read more on this news related to 'Commode'
- The Bristol Post published Long road ahead for Bristol runner crushed by falling tree
FOR an active man, it is incredibly frustrating – confined to the ground floor of a house, using a commode, with a wheelchair as the only mode of transport.But it could have been much worse for Peter Kennedy – the father-of-two who was scalped, suffered a fractured shoulder and who broke an arm and an ankle when half a tree fell on top of him.As previously rep Read more on this news related to 'Commode'