Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Comic'
- arousing or provoking laughter; "an amusing film with a steady stream of pranks and pratfalls"; "an amusing fellow"; "a comic hat"; "a comical look of surprise"; "funny stories that made everybody laugh"; "a very funny writer"; "it would have been laughable if it hadn't hurt so much"; "a mirthful experience"; "risible courtroom antics" [syn: amusing, comical, funny, laughable, mirthful, risible]
- of or relating to or characteristic of comedy; "comic hero" n : a professional performer who tells jokes and performs comical acts [syn: comedian]
- Comic \Com"ic\, a. [L. comicus pertaining to comedy, Gr. ?: cf.
F. comique. See Comedy.]
- Relating to comedy, as distinct from tragedy. I can not for the stage a drama lay, Tragic or comic, but thou writ'st the play. --B. Jonson.
- Causing mirth; ludicrous. ``Comic shows.'' --Shak.
- Comic \Com"ic\, n.
A comedian. [Obs.] --Steele.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Comic'
Comics (from the Greek κωμικός, kōmikos "of or pertaining to comedy" from κῶμος - kōmos "revel, komos",
Early precursors of comic as they are known today include Trajan's Column and the work of William Hogarth. By the 19th century, the medium as we know it today began to take form among European and American artists. Comics as a real mass medium started to emerge in the United States in the early 20th century with the newspaper comic strip, where its form began to be standardized (image-driven, speech balloons, etc.), first in Sunday strips and later in daily strips. The combination of words and pictures proved popular and quickly spread throughout the world.
Comic strips were soon gathered into cheap booklets and reprint comic books. Original comic books soon followed. Today, comics are found in newspapers, magazines, comic books, graphic novels and on the web. Historically, the form dealt with humorous subject matter, but its scope has expanded to encompass the full range of literary genres. Also see: Comic strip and cartoon. In some circles, comics are still seen as low art, and Barnaby. However, such an elitist "low art/high art" distinction doesn't exist in the French-speaking world (and, to some extent, continental Europe), where the bandes dessinées medium as a whole is commonly accepted as "the Ninth Art", is usually dedicated a non-negligible space in bookshops and libraries, and is regularly celebrated in international events such as the Angoulême International Comics Festival. Such distinctions also do not exist in the Japanese manga, the world's largest comics culture.[See more about Comic at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Comic'
'Comic' in famous quotation sentence
* Life can be wildly tragic at times, and I've had my share. But whatever happens to you, you have to keep a slightly comic attitude. In the final analysis, you have got not to forget to laugh. - Katharine Hepburn
* Pointing out the comic elements of a situation can bring a sense of proportion and perspective to what might otherwise seem an overwhelming problem. - Harvey Mindess
Click here for more related quotations on 'Comic'
Comic Sample Sentences in News
- Rare Superman comic found in house insulation
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — It's considered the Holy Grail of comic books: Action Comics No. 1 from 1938, featuring the debut of Superman. And David Gonzales found one mixed in with old newspapers insulating a house he was renovating in a small town in Minnesota. Read more on this news related to 'Comic'
- Rare Superman comic 'found in wall'
A 1938 comic featuring the debut of Superman that was discovered in the wall of an abandoned home could set a new auction record, a dealer says. Read more on this news related to 'Comic'
- Mobilewalla ranks comic-book apps
Mobilewalla ranks comic-book apps King Features Copyright 2013 King Features. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Published 5:19 pm, Friday, May 24, 2013 Comic books have come a long way, from tiny throwaway kids' books to the drivers of much of popular culture. Console gamers can follow one of their Read more on this news related to 'Comic'