Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Comic'
- arousing or provoking laughter; "an amusing film with a steady stream of pranks and pratfalls"; "an amusing fellow"; "a comic hat"; "a comical look of surprise"; "funny stories that made everybody laugh"; "a very funny writer"; "it would have been laughable if it hadn't hurt so much"; "a mirthful experience"; "risible courtroom antics" [syn: amusing, comical, funny, laughable, mirthful, risible]
- of or relating to or characteristic of comedy; "comic hero" n : a professional performer who tells jokes and performs comical acts [syn: comedian]
- Comic \Com"ic\, a. [L. comicus pertaining to comedy, Gr. ?: cf.
F. comique. See Comedy.]
- Relating to comedy, as distinct from tragedy. I can not for the stage a drama lay, Tragic or comic, but thou writ'st the play. --B. Jonson.
- Causing mirth; ludicrous. ``Comic shows.'' --Shak.
- Comic \Com"ic\, n.
A comedian. [Obs.] --Steele.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Comic'
Comics (from the Greek κωμικός, kōmikos "of or pertaining to comedy" from κῶμος - kōmos "revel, komos",
Early precursors of comic as they are known today include Trajan's Column and the work of William Hogarth. By the 19th century, the medium as we know it today began to take form among European and American artists. Comics as a real mass medium started to emerge in the United States in the early 20th century with the newspaper comic strip, where its form began to be standardized (image-driven, speech balloons, etc.), first in Sunday strips and later in daily strips. The combination of words and pictures proved popular and quickly spread throughout the world.
Comic strips were soon gathered into cheap booklets and reprint comic books. Original comic books soon followed. Today, comics are found in newspapers, magazines, comic books, graphic novels and on the web. Historically, the form dealt with humorous subject matter, but its scope has expanded to encompass the full range of literary genres. Also see: Comic strip and cartoon. In some circles, comics are still seen as low art, and Barnaby. However, such an elitist "low art/high art" distinction doesn't exist in the French-speaking world (and, to some extent, continental Europe), where the bandes dessinées medium as a whole is commonly accepted as "the Ninth Art", is usually dedicated a non-negligible space in bookshops and libraries, and is regularly celebrated in international events such as the Angoulême International Comics Festival. Such distinctions also do not exist in the Japanese manga, the world's largest comics culture.[See more about Comic at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Comic'
'Comic' in famous quotation sentence
* Life can be wildly tragic at times, and I've had my share. But whatever happens to you, you have to keep a slightly comic attitude. In the final analysis, you have got not to forget to laugh. - Katharine Hepburn
* Pointing out the comic elements of a situation can bring a sense of proportion and perspective to what might otherwise seem an overwhelming problem. - Harvey Mindess
Click here for more related quotations on 'Comic'
Comic Sample Sentences in News
- Comic superhero Ultraman slain by Malaysian censors
By Stuart Grudgings KUALA LUMPUR (Reuters) - Malaysia has banned a comic book starring the Japanese superhero Ultraman because it could disturb "public order", sparking a torrent of online ridicule from those who saw it as the latest sign of excessive censorship in the Muslim-majority country. The book, "Ultraman The Ultra Power", was banned fr Read more on this news related to 'Comic'
- Malaysia Outlaws Japan Ultraman Superhero Comic for Misuse of 'Allah'
Malaysia has banned a comic book based around Ultraman, the Japanese superhero, saying it has the potential to disturb "public order". The home ministry, which is in charge of censorship in the Muslim country, said in a statement that the use of the word "Allah" in the Ultraman comic could "confuse Muslim youth and damage their faith" Read more on this news related to 'Comic'
- Nashville comic creator Eric Powell celebrates 15 years of 'The Goon'
'The Goon' celebrates its 15th anniversary on Saturday with a special party featuring local geek rockers the Protomen at Cannery Ballroom on Saturday. Read more on this news related to 'Comic'