Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Colic'
Colic Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
n : acute abdominal pain (especially in infants) [syn: intestinal
- Colic \Col"ic\, n. [F. colique, fr. L. colicus sick with the
colic, GR. ?, fr. ?, ?, the colon. The disease is so named
from its being seated in or near the colon. See Colon.]
A severe paroxysmal pain in the abdomen, due to spasm,
obstruction, or distention of some one of the hollow viscera.
Hepatic colic, the severe pain produced by the passage of a
gallstone from the liver or gall bladder through the bile
Intestinal colic, or Ordinary colic, pain due to
distention of the intestines by gas.
Lead colic, Painter's colic, a violent form of intestinal
colic, associated with obstinate constipation, produced by
chronic lead poisoning.
Renal colic, the severe pain produced by the passage of a
calculus from the kidney through the ureter.
Wind colic. See Intestinal colic, above.
- Colic \Col"ic\, a.
- Of or pertaining to colic; affecting the bowels. --Milton.
- (Anat.) Of or pertaining to the colon; as, the colic arteries.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Colic'
- Colic: Colic is a form of pain which starts and stops abruptly. Types include: Baby colic , a condition, usually in infants, characterized by ...
- Horse colic: Colic in horse s is defined as abdominal pain , but it is a clinical sign rather than a diagnosis. The term colic can encompass all forms ...
- Baby colic: Colic (also known as infant colic, three month colic, and Infantile colic) is a condition in which an otherwise healthy baby cries or ...
- Renal colic: Renal colic is a type of pain commonly caused by kidney stones . Presentation: The pain typically begins in the loin region and often ...
- Devon colic: Devon colic is an affliction caused by lead poisoning which was suffered by the people of Devon during parts of the 17th and 18th ...
- Middle colic artery: The middle colic artery is a branch of the superior mesenteric artery that mostly supplies the transverse colon . It arises just below ...
- Left colic artery: The left colic artery runs to the left behind the peritoneum and in front of the psoas major muscle, and after a short, but variable, ...
- Right colic artery: The Right Colic Artery arises from about the middle of the concavity of the superior mesenteric artery , or from a stem common to it and ...
Words and phrases related to 'Colic'
Colic Sample Sentences in News
- Colief® Infant Drops Wins Two Top Product Awards from Parenting Groups
CHICAGO, June 10, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Colief ® Infant Drops has been tested and approved to reduce colic-related crying time by real parents with colicky babies across the U.S. It was awarded two top ... Read more on this news related to 'Colic'
- Nearly 35,000 New York City Babies Will Experience Colic This Year
NEW YORK, May 22, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Approximately 35,000 babies, or 28 percent of the more than 123,000 babies born in New York City this year, will be affected by colic, which is defined as unexplained ... Read more on this news related to 'Colic'
- Sarah Chalke on Son Charlie: "He Had Colic for the First Three Months"
For most new parents, the first few months with a newborn, while filled with sleep deprivation and m[...] Read more on this news related to 'Colic'