Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Colic'
Colic Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
n : acute abdominal pain (especially in infants) [syn: intestinal
- Colic \Col"ic\, n. [F. colique, fr. L. colicus sick with the
colic, GR. ?, fr. ?, ?, the colon. The disease is so named
from its being seated in or near the colon. See Colon.]
A severe paroxysmal pain in the abdomen, due to spasm,
obstruction, or distention of some one of the hollow viscera.
Hepatic colic, the severe pain produced by the passage of a
gallstone from the liver or gall bladder through the bile
Intestinal colic, or Ordinary colic, pain due to
distention of the intestines by gas.
Lead colic, Painter's colic, a violent form of intestinal
colic, associated with obstinate constipation, produced by
chronic lead poisoning.
Renal colic, the severe pain produced by the passage of a
calculus from the kidney through the ureter.
Wind colic. See Intestinal colic, above.
- Colic \Col"ic\, a.
- Of or pertaining to colic; affecting the bowels. --Milton.
- (Anat.) Of or pertaining to the colon; as, the colic arteries.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Colic'
- Colic: Colic is a form of pain which starts and stops abruptly. Types include: Baby colic , a condition, usually in infants, characterized by ...
- Horse colic: Colic in horse s is defined as abdominal pain , but it is a clinical sign rather than a diagnosis. The term colic can encompass all forms ...
- Baby colic: Colic (also known as infant colic, three month colic, and Infantile colic) is a condition in which an otherwise healthy baby cries or ...
- Renal colic: Renal colic is a type of pain commonly caused by kidney stones . Presentation: The pain typically begins in the loin region and often ...
- Devon colic: Devon colic is an affliction caused by lead poisoning which was suffered by the people of Devon during parts of the 17th and 18th ...
- Middle colic artery: The middle colic artery is a branch of the superior mesenteric artery that mostly supplies the transverse colon . It arises just below ...
- Left colic artery: The left colic artery runs to the left behind the peritoneum and in front of the psoas major muscle, and after a short, but variable, ...
- Right colic artery: The Right Colic Artery arises from about the middle of the concavity of the superior mesenteric artery , or from a stem common to it and ...
Words and phrases related to 'Colic'
Colic Sample Sentences in News
- Soccer-More drama at Leverkusen as Voeller suffers renal colic
Bayer Leverkusen's sporting director Rudi Voeller was taken to hospital suffering from renal colic on Saturday, completing a dramatic week at the Bundesliga club famed for coming second. Leverkusen bounced back from Wednesday's 5-0 home defeat by Manchester United with a 3-0 win over Nuremberg on Saturday but their relief was offset by concerns about the f Read more on this news related to 'Colic'
- Christmas Colic Leads to Increase in Sales of Colic Calm
TJL Enterprises Inc. - Exposure to new environments, additional people causes stomach upset. (PRWeb November 28, 2013) Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/2013/11/prweb11377645.htm Read more on this news related to 'Colic'
- Bundesliga - More drama at Leverkusen as Voeller suffers renal colic
Bayer Leverkusen's sporting director Rudi Voeller was taken to hospital suffering from renal colic on Saturday. Read more on this news related to 'Colic'