Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Chord'
Chord Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- a straight line connecting two points on a curve
- a combination of three or more notes that blend harmoniously when sounded together v
- play chords on (a string instrument)
- bring into consonance, harmony, or accord while making music or singing [syn: harmonize, harmonise]
- (c) (Mach.) Any collection and arrangement in a condensed
form of many particulars or values, for ready
reference, as of weights, measures, currency, specific
gravities, etc.; also, a series of numbers following
some law, and expressing particular values
corresponding to certain other numbers on which they
depend, and by means of which they are taken out for
use in computations; as, tables of logarithms, sines,
tangents, squares, cubes, etc.; annuity tables;
interest tables; astronomical tables, etc.
(d) (Palmistry) The arrangement or disposition of the
lines which appear on the inside of the hand.
Mistress of a fairer table Hath not history for
fable. --B. Jonson.
- An article of furniture, consisting of a flat slab, board, or the like, having a smooth surface, fixed horizontally on legs, and used for a great variety of purposes, as in eating, writing, or working. We may again Give to our tables meat. --Shak. The nymph the table spread. --Pope.
- Hence, food placed on a table to be partaken of; fare; entertainment; as, to set a good table.
- The company assembled round a table. I drink the general joy of the whole table. --Shak.
- (Anat.) One of the two, external and internal, layers of compact bone, separated by diplo["e], in the walls of the cranium.
- (Arch.) A stringcourse which includes an offset; esp., a band of stone, or the like, set where an offset is required, so as to make it decorative. See Water table.
- (Games) (a) The board on the opposite sides of which backgammon and draughts are played. (b) One of the divisions of a backgammon board; as, to play into the right-hand table. (c) pl. The games of backgammon and of draughts. [Obs.] --Chaucer. This is the ape of form, monsieur the nice, That, when he plays at tables, chides the dice. --Shak. 1
- (Glass Manuf.) A circular plate of crown glass. A circular plate or table of about five feet diameter weighs on an average nine pounds. --Ure. 1
- (Jewelry) The upper flat surface of a diamond or other precious stone, the sides of which are cut in angles. 1
- (Persp.) A plane surface, supposed to be transparent and perpendicular to the horizon; -- called also perspective
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Chord'
- Chord: Chord may refer to: Chord (music), an aggregate of musical pitches sounded simultaneously. Chord (guitar) an aggregate of musical pitches ...
- Chord (music): A chord in music is any set of notes that is heard as if sounding simultaneously . arpeggio s and broken chords may for many practical and ...
- Chord progression: A chord progression (or harmonic progression) is a series of musical chord s, or chord changes that "aims for a definite goal" of ...
- Chord (aircraft): In aeronautics , chord refers to the imaginary straight line joining the trailing edge and the center of curvature of the leading edge of ...
- Guitar chord: A guitar chord is a collection of tones usually sounded together at once played on a guitar . It can be composed of notes played on a ...
- Major chord: mid | Play) is a chord having a root , a major third , and a perfect fifth When a chord has these three notes alone, it is called a major ...
- Chord (geometry): A chord of a circle is a geometric line segment whose endpoints both lie on the circumference of the circle. line extension of a chord. ...
- Chordate: arteries, gill filaments, a tail, a neural chord with a brain at the front end, and possibly eyes — although it also had short tentacles ...
- Tristan chord: The Tristan chord is a chord made up of the note s F, B, D sharp and G sharp. More generally, it can be any chord that consists of these ...
- Chord (peer-to-peer): In computing , Chord is a protocol and algorithm for a peer-to-peer distributed hash table . A distributed hash table stores key-value ...
Words and phrases related to 'Chord'
'Chord' in famous quotation sentence
* Every action of our lives touches on some chord that will vibrate in eternity. - Edwin Hubbel Chapin
Click here for more related quotations on 'Chord'
Click here for more related quotations on 'Chord'
Chord Sample Sentences in News
- Chord Overstreet and Halston Sage Split Up
Another Hollywood couple bites the dust. Chord Overstreet and Halston Sage have split up, a source tells E! News. Speculation that the Glee guy and the actress had called it... Read more on this news related to 'Chord'
- Announcement: BluesGuitar.com Releases “Chord Soloing Lick Over the IV Degree - Blues Guitar Lesson”
In this blues guitar lesson sample video, now available on YouTube.com, Jon MacLennan teaches chord soloing in the key of G over the four chord of the 1-4-5 chord progression. (PRWeb April 19, 2014) Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/2014/04/prweb11778785.htm Read more on this news related to 'Chord'
- Cutting the cable chord? Seven things to know first.
Cable cutting may be trendy at the moment, but there are key facts to consider before taking the plunge. Read on to find out whether all cable cord-cutters are pirates, how much money you could actually save, and more. Read more on this news related to 'Chord'