Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Chord'
Chord Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- a straight line connecting two points on a curve
- a combination of three or more notes that blend harmoniously when sounded together v
- play chords on (a string instrument)
- bring into consonance, harmony, or accord while making music or singing [syn: harmonize, harmonise]
- (c) (Mach.) Any collection and arrangement in a condensed
form of many particulars or values, for ready
reference, as of weights, measures, currency, specific
gravities, etc.; also, a series of numbers following
some law, and expressing particular values
corresponding to certain other numbers on which they
depend, and by means of which they are taken out for
use in computations; as, tables of logarithms, sines,
tangents, squares, cubes, etc.; annuity tables;
interest tables; astronomical tables, etc.
(d) (Palmistry) The arrangement or disposition of the
lines which appear on the inside of the hand.
Mistress of a fairer table Hath not history for
fable. --B. Jonson.
- An article of furniture, consisting of a flat slab, board, or the like, having a smooth surface, fixed horizontally on legs, and used for a great variety of purposes, as in eating, writing, or working. We may again Give to our tables meat. --Shak. The nymph the table spread. --Pope.
- Hence, food placed on a table to be partaken of; fare; entertainment; as, to set a good table.
- The company assembled round a table. I drink the general joy of the whole table. --Shak.
- (Anat.) One of the two, external and internal, layers of compact bone, separated by diplo["e], in the walls of the cranium.
- (Arch.) A stringcourse which includes an offset; esp., a band of stone, or the like, set where an offset is required, so as to make it decorative. See Water table.
- (Games) (a) The board on the opposite sides of which backgammon and draughts are played. (b) One of the divisions of a backgammon board; as, to play into the right-hand table. (c) pl. The games of backgammon and of draughts. [Obs.] --Chaucer. This is the ape of form, monsieur the nice, That, when he plays at tables, chides the dice. --Shak. 1
- (Glass Manuf.) A circular plate of crown glass. A circular plate or table of about five feet diameter weighs on an average nine pounds. --Ure. 1
- (Jewelry) The upper flat surface of a diamond or other precious stone, the sides of which are cut in angles. 1
- (Persp.) A plane surface, supposed to be transparent and perpendicular to the horizon; -- called also perspective
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Chord'
- Chord: Chord may refer to: Chord (music), an aggregate of musical pitches sounded simultaneously. Chord (guitar) an aggregate of musical pitches ...
- Chord (music): A chord in music is any set of notes that is heard as if sounding simultaneously . arpeggio s and broken chords may for many practical and ...
- Chord progression: A chord progression (or harmonic progression) is a series of musical chord s, or chord changes that "aims for a definite goal" of ...
- Chord (aircraft): In aeronautics , chord refers to the imaginary straight line joining the trailing edge and the center of curvature of the leading edge of ...
- Guitar chord: A guitar chord is a collection of tones usually sounded together at once played on a guitar . It can be composed of notes played on a ...
- Major chord: mid | Play) is a chord having a root , a major third , and a perfect fifth When a chord has these three notes alone, it is called a major ...
- Chord (geometry): A chord of a circle is a geometric line segment whose endpoints both lie on the circumference of the circle. line extension of a chord. ...
- Chordate: arteries, gill filaments, a tail, a neural chord with a brain at the front end, and possibly eyes — although it also had short tentacles ...
- Tristan chord: The Tristan chord is a chord made up of the note s F, B, D sharp and G sharp. More generally, it can be any chord that consists of these ...
- Chord (peer-to-peer): In computing , Chord is a protocol and algorithm for a peer-to-peer distributed hash table . A distributed hash table stores key-value ...
Words and phrases related to 'Chord'
'Chord' in famous quotation sentence
* Every action of our lives touches on some chord that will vibrate in eternity. - Edwin Hubbel Chapin
Click here for more related quotations on 'Chord'
Click here for more related quotations on 'Chord'
Chord Sample Sentences in News
- Casio Releases iOS App That Helps Users to Create Chord Charts for Their Favorite Songs
TOKYO, Aug. 5, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Casio Computer Co., Ltd., announced on August 5 that it has released a new version of Chordana Viewer, an iOS app that displays the chord progressions of songs to help users create chord charts. Chordana Viewer Version 2.0 also allows users to edit, print and exchange chord charts via email, This new version is available at the Read more on this news related to 'Chord'
- Announcement: GuitarControl.com Releases “Learn How to Play a Minor 9th Chord - Guitar Lesson on Minor 9th Chords”
GuitarControl.com released a new video guitar lesson from GuitarControl.com instructor and creator Claude Johnson. In this guitar lesson, now available on YouTube.com, Claude Johnson teaches a lesson on how to play the minor ninth chord on guitar. (PRWeb August 22, 2014) Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/2014/08/prweb12115080.htm Read more on this news related to 'Chord'
- Announcement: GuitarControl.com Releases “Easy Guitar Riff Over a II V Chord Progression - Rhythm Guitar Lesson”
GuitarControl.com has recently made public a video guitar lesson from master instructor Jon MacLennan. In this guitar lesson, now available on YouTube.com, Jon MacLennan teaches how to play an easy guitar riff over a two five chord progression. (PRWeb August 22, 2014) Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/2014/08/prweb12113295.htm Read more on this news related to 'Chord'