Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Chicane'
- a bridge hand that is void of trumps
- a movable barrier used in motor racing; sometimes place before a dangerous corner to reduce speed as cars pass in single file
- the use of tricks to deceive someone (usually to extract money from them) [syn: trickery, chicanery, guile, wile, shenanigan] v
- defeat someone in an expectation through trickery or deceit [syn: cheat, chouse, shaft, screw, jockey]
- raise trivial objections [syn: cavil, carp]
- Chicane \Chi*cane"\, n. (Card playing)
In bridge, the holding of a hand without trumps, or the hand
itself. It counts as simple honors.
- Chicane \Chi*cane"\, v. i. [Cf. F. chicaner. See Chicane, n.]
To use shifts, cavils, or artifices. --Burke.
- Chicane \Chi*cane"\, n. [F., prob. earlier meaning a dispute,
orig. in the game of mall (F. mail), fr. LGr. ? the game of
mall, fr Pers chaug[=a]n club or bat; or possibly ultimated
fr. L. ciccus a trible.]
The use of artful subterfuge, designed to draw away attention
from the merits of a case or question; -- specifically
applied to legal proceedings; trickery; chicanery; caviling;
To shuffle from them by chicane. --Burke.
To cut short this chicane, I propound it fairly to your
own conscience. --Berkeley.
220 catflap.bishopston.net dictd 1.11.2/rf on FreeBSD 8.1-STABLE
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Chicane'
A chicane is an artificial feature creating extra turns in a roadway, used in motor racing and on city streets to slow cars. On modern raceways, chicanes are usually located after long straightaways, making them a prime location for overtaking.
Some tracks, such as Portland International Raceway, feature optional chicanes. Faster cars will race with the chicane, but slower cars (such as amateur club racers) may avoid the chicane since the cars are not capable of developing excessive speed in the lengthened straightaway. Such chicanes are used at Watkins Glen International and Daytona International Speedway, where there is a car chicane and motorcycle chicane.
Another example of a chicane is on the Tsukuba Circuit, a Japanese track. A chicane was added after the 5th corner, creating a right turn, followed immediately by a left. This chicane is used only for motorcycle racing. It was implemented to divert motorcycles from taking the 6th corner, which is a high speed long sweeping left corner. The 6th corner was deemed unsafe for most motorcycles, as following the corner is a slow right hairpin corner. In most cases a motorcycle would still be leaning left when the rider should begin braking for the 7th corner, causing an unsafe right turn into the 7th corner.[See more about Chicane at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Chicane'
Chicane Sample Sentences in News
- Traffic Change Coming On Oakland Avenue
Monday, March 3, the City of Tallahassee will begin constructing a chicane traffic calming device at the intersection of Oakland Avenue and Gadsden Street. Read more on this news related to 'Chicane'