Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Brighten'
- make lighter or brighter; "The paint will brighten the room" [syn: lighten up, lighten] [ant: darken]
- become clear; "The sky cleared after the storm" [syn: clear up, clear, light up] [ant: overcast]
- become brighter; "The sky brightened around noon"; "Her face brightened when she heard the good news" [ant: darken]
- become brighter; "The sky brightened" [syn: lighten] [ant: darken]
- Brighten \Bright"en\, v. i. [AS. beorhtan.]
To grow bright, or more bright; to become less dark or
gloomy; to clear up; to become bright or cheerful.
And night shall brighten into day. --N. Cotton.
And, all his prospects brightening to the last, His
heaven commences ere world be past. --Goldsmith.
- Brighten \Bright"en\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Brightened; p. pr. &
vb. n. Brightening.]
Note: [From Bright, a.]
- To make bright or brighter; to make to shine; to increase the luster of; to give a brighter hue to.
- To make illustrious, or more distinguished; to add luster or splendor to. The present queen would brighten her character, if she would exert her authority to instill virtues into her people. --Swift.
- To improve or relieve by dispelling gloom or removing that which obscures and darkens; to shed light upon; to make cheerful; as, to brighten one's prospects. An ecstasy, which mothers only feel, Plays round my heart and brightens all my sorrow. --Philips.
- To make acute or witty; to enliven. --Johnson.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Brighten'
Brighten is a pop rock band from Chico, California, consisting of brothers Justin (guitar, lead vocals) and Jimmy (drums) Richards, and Alex Draper (bass, backing vocals). The band has recently been on tour with This Providence, Cute Is What We Aim For, Eisley, and All Time Low. In 2007, their debut album, King vs. Queen, was released on Carbon Copy Media, without the band's full knowledge.
Although the band has been playing together for nine years, they only formed a band in 2004. In high school, Brighten went by the name Sincerely Me, though after high school, due to minor conflict, they changed their name to Brighten.
They independently released their debut EP, Ready When You Are, on November 9, 2005. The EP was extremely well-received by critics, and has since sold out.[See more about Brighten at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Brighten'
'Brighten' in famous quotation sentence
* If we work upon marble, it will perish if we work upon brass, time will efface it if we rear temples, they will crumble into dust but if we work upon immortal minds and instill into them just principles, we are then engraving that upon tablets which no time will efface, but will brighten and brighten to all eternity. - Daniel Webster
Click here for more related quotations on 'Brighten'
Brighten Sample Sentences in News
- Theatre festival for children to brighten Cairo's art and culture scene
Between 12 and 18 March, Hanager Arts Centre will hold the Hakawy children's theatre festival. Ahram Online talks to Mohamed El-Ghawy, the main dynamo behind this unique initiative Read more on this news related to 'Brighten'
- Let’s brighten the corners we find ourselves in; Nduom advises
The 2008 and 2012 Presidential Candidate of the Progressive People’s Party, Dr Papa Kwesi Nduom, has advised Ghanaians to reflect over 57 years of nation-building and what has been achieved thus far. Read more on this news related to 'Brighten'
- Mangalore: BJP Lok Sabha ticket - Nalin Kumar's chances brighten
Mangalore, Mar 7: In a fresh development that would gladden the supporters of MP Nalin Kumar Kateel of BJP, it is learnt that the sitting MP, who was on the brink of losing his Lok Sabha ticket from Mangalore, has finally succeeded in convincing top RSS leaders who had reservations about his candidature. Read more on this news related to 'Brighten'