Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Brighten'
- make lighter or brighter; "The paint will brighten the room" [syn: lighten up, lighten] [ant: darken]
- become clear; "The sky cleared after the storm" [syn: clear up, clear, light up] [ant: overcast]
- become brighter; "The sky brightened around noon"; "Her face brightened when she heard the good news" [ant: darken]
- become brighter; "The sky brightened" [syn: lighten] [ant: darken]
- Brighten \Bright"en\, v. i. [AS. beorhtan.]
To grow bright, or more bright; to become less dark or
gloomy; to clear up; to become bright or cheerful.
And night shall brighten into day. --N. Cotton.
And, all his prospects brightening to the last, His
heaven commences ere world be past. --Goldsmith.
- Brighten \Bright"en\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Brightened; p. pr. &
vb. n. Brightening.]
Note: [From Bright, a.]
- To make bright or brighter; to make to shine; to increase the luster of; to give a brighter hue to.
- To make illustrious, or more distinguished; to add luster or splendor to. The present queen would brighten her character, if she would exert her authority to instill virtues into her people. --Swift.
- To improve or relieve by dispelling gloom or removing that which obscures and darkens; to shed light upon; to make cheerful; as, to brighten one's prospects. An ecstasy, which mothers only feel, Plays round my heart and brightens all my sorrow. --Philips.
- To make acute or witty; to enliven. --Johnson.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Brighten'
Brighten is a pop rock band from Chico, California, consisting of brothers Justin (guitar, lead vocals) and Jimmy (drums) Richards, and Alex Draper (bass, backing vocals). The band has recently been on tour with This Providence, Cute Is What We Aim For, Eisley, and All Time Low. In 2007, their debut album, King vs. Queen, was released on Carbon Copy Media, without the band's full knowledge.
Although the band has been playing together for nine years, they only formed a band in 2004. In high school, Brighten went by the name Sincerely Me, though after high school, due to minor conflict, they changed their name to Brighten.
They independently released their debut EP, Ready When You Are, on November 9, 2005. The EP was extremely well-received by critics, and has since sold out.[See more about Brighten at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Brighten'
'Brighten' in famous quotation sentence
* If we work upon marble, it will perish if we work upon brass, time will efface it if we rear temples, they will crumble into dust but if we work upon immortal minds and instill into them just principles, we are then engraving that upon tablets which no time will efface, but will brighten and brighten to all eternity. - Daniel Webster
Click here for more related quotations on 'Brighten'
Brighten Sample Sentences in News
- Brighten Someone’s Holiday with Pistol Grip Spotlight by Larson Electronics
Making the holidays merry and “bright” has never been easier thanks to Larson Electronics. The Magnalight RL-85-10W1 LED Pistol Grip Spotlight makes the perfect holiday gift for an Read more on this news related to 'Brighten'
- Struggling single mother hopes to brighten kids' yule
Struggling single mother hopes to brighten kids' yule A single mother of two, she's trying to get her life on course after escaping abusive relationships. After taking refuge for a few months at The Bridge Over Troubled Waters, a shelter in Pasadena, Morris and her children have been living on their own for about a year. After rent, day care fees, car paym Read more on this news related to 'Brighten'
- Brighten A Christmas: Family of three takes in two nieces
The family in today's Brighten A Christmas feature already was struggling financially before taking on two more family members. Read more on this news related to 'Brighten'