Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Booby'
- an ignorant or foolish person [syn: dumbbell, dummy, dope, boob, pinhead]
- small tropical gannet having a bright bill or bright feet or both
- Booby \Boo"by\ (b[=oo]"b[y^]), n.; pl. Boobies (-b[i^]z). [Sp.
bobo dunce, idiot; cf. L. balbus stammering, E. barbarous.]
- A dunce; a stupid fellow.
- (Zo["o]l.) (a) A swimming bird (Sula fiber or S. sula) related to the common gannet, and found in the West Indies, nesting on the bare rocks. It is so called on account of its apparent stupidity. The name is also sometimes applied to other species of gannets; as, S. piscator}, the red-footed booby. (b) A species of penguin of the antarctic seas.
- Booby \Boo"by\ (b[=oo]"b[y^]), a.
Having the characteristics of a booby; stupid.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Booby'
For fossil species, see text.
A booby is a seabird in the genus Sula, part of the Sulidae family. Boobies are closely related to the gannets (Morus), which were formerly included in Sula.
Boobies are large birds with long pointed wings and long bills. They hunt fish by diving from a height into the sea and pursuing their prey underwater. Facial air sacs under their skin cushion the impact with the water. Boobies are colonial breeders on islands and coasts. They normally lay one or more chalky-blue eggs on the ground or sometimes in a tree nest.
Their name was possibly based on the Spanish slang term bubi, meaning "dunce", as these tame birds had a habit of landing on board sailing ships, where they were easily captured and eaten. Owing to this, boobies are often mentioned as having been caught and eaten by shipwrecked sailors, notably Captain Bligh of the Bounty and his adherents, during their famous voyage after being set adrift by Fletcher Christian and his followers.[See more about Booby at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Booby'