Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Beguiling'
- highly attractive and able to arouse hope or desire; "an alluring prospect"; "her alluring smile"; "the voice was low and beguiling"; "difficult to say no to an enticing advertisement"; "a tempting invitation" [syn: alluring, enticing, tempting]
- misleading by means of pleasant or alluring methods; "taken in by beguiling tales of overnight fortunes"
- Beguile \Be*guile"\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Beguiled; p. pr. &
vb. n. Beguiling.]
- To delude by guile, artifice, or craft; to deceive or impose on, as by a false statement; to lure. The serpent beguiled me, and I did eat. --Gen. iii. 13.
- To elude, or evade by craft; to foil. [Obs.] When misery could beguile the tyrant's rage. --Shak.
- To cause the time of to pass without notice; to relieve the tedium or weariness of; to while away; to divert. Ballads . . . to beguile his incessant wayfaring. --W. Irving. Syn: To delude; deceive; cheat; insnare; mislead; amuse; divert; entertain.
- Beguiling \Be*guil"ing\, a.
Alluring by guile; deluding; misleading; diverting. --
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Beguiling'
Deception, beguilement, deceit, bluff, mystification, and subterfuge are acts to propagate beliefs that are not true, or not the whole truth (as in half-truths or omission). Deception can involve dissimulation, propaganda, sleight of hand. It can employ distraction, camouflage or concealment. There is also self-deception.
Deception is a major relational transgression that often leads to feelings of betrayal and distrust between relational partners. Deception violates relational rules and is considered to be a negative violation of expectations. Most people expect friends, relational partners, and even strangers to be truthful most of the time. If people expected most conversations to be untruthful, talking and communicating with others would require distraction and misdirection to acquire reliable information. On a given day, it is likely that most human beings will either deceive or be deceived by another person. A significant amount of deception occurs between romantic and relational partners.[See more about Beguiling at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Beguiling'
'Beguiling' in famous quotation sentence
Click here for more related quotations on 'Beguiling'