Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Beef'
- cattle that are reared for their meat [syn: beef cattle]
- meat from an adult domestic bovine [syn: boeuf]
- informal terms for objecting; "I have a gripe about the service here" [syn: gripe, kick, bitch, squawk] v : complain; "What was he hollering about?" [syn: gripe, grouse, crab, squawk, bellyache, holler] [also: beeves (pl)]
- Beef \Beef\ (b[=e]f), n. [OE. boef, befe, beef, OF. boef, buef,
F. b[oe]ef, fr. L. bos, bovis, ox; akin to Gr. boy^s, Skr.
g[=o] cow, and E. cow. See 2d Cow.]
- An animal of the genus Bos, especially the common species, B. taurus, including the bull, cow, and ox, in their full grown state; esp., an ox or cow fattened for food. Note: [In this, which is the original sense, the word has a plural, beeves (b[=e]vz).] A herd of beeves, fair oxen and fair kine. --Milton.
- The flesh of an ox, or cow, or of any adult bovine animal, when slaughtered for food. Note: [In this sense, the word has no plural.] ``Great meals of beef.'' --Shak.
- Applied colloquially to human flesh.
- Beef \Beef\, a.
Of, pertaining to, or resembling, beef.
Beef tea, essence of beef, or strong beef broth.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Beef'
Beef is the culinary name for meat from bovines, especially domestic cattle. Beef can be harvested from cows, bulls, heifers or steers. It is one of the principal meats used in the cuisine of the Middle East, Australia, Argentina, Europe and the United States, and is also important in Africa, parts of East Asia, and Southeast Asia. Beef is considered a taboo food in some cultures, especially in Indian culture, and thence is eschewed by Hindus and Jains; it is also discouraged among some Buddhists.
Beef muscle meat can be cut into steak, roasts or short ribs. Some cuts are processed (corned beef or beef jerky), and trimmings, usually mixed with meat from older, leaner cattle, are ground, minced or used in sausages. The blood is used in some varieties of blood sausage. Other parts that are eaten include the oxtail, tongue, tripe from the reticulum or rumen, glands (particularly the pancreas and thymus, referred to as sweetbread), the heart, the brain (although forbidden where there is a danger of bovine spongiform encephalopathy, BSE), the liver, the kidneys, and the tender testicles of the bull (known in the US as calf fries, prairie oysters, or Rocky Mountain oysters). Some intestines are cooked and eaten as-is, but are more often cleaned and used as natural sausage casings. The lungs and the udder are considered unfit for human consumption in the US. The bones are used for making beef stock.[See more about Beef at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Beef'
'Beef' in famous quotation sentence
* Keeping accounts, Sir, is of no use when a man is spending his own money, and has nobody to whom he is to account. You won't eat less beef today, because you have written down what it cost yesterday. - Samuel Johnson
* The brown bag, of course, had its imperfections. While some kids carried roast beef sandwiches, others had peanut butter. I have no way of knowing if all of those brown bags contained 'nutritionally adequate diets.' But I do know that those brown bags and those lunch pails symbolized parental love and responsibility. - Charles Mathias, Jr.
Click here for more related quotations on 'Beef'
Beef Sample Sentences in News
- Beef buy deal killed off
A major WA beef processor says it has gone from being hunted to a hunter.. Read more on this news related to 'Beef'
- WA beef buy deal killed off
A major WA beef processor says it has gone from being hunted to a hunter after rejecting a big offer for its family-owned operations. Read more on this news related to 'Beef'
- Beef prices are high and likely to stay that way for several years
Drought and exports push meat prices to record levels. Read more on this news related to 'Beef'