Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Baseball'
- a ball game played with a bat and ball between two teams of 9 players; teams take turns at bat trying to score run; "he played baseball in high school"; "there was a baseball game on every empy lot"; "there was a desire for National League ball in the area"; "play ball!" [syn: baseball game, ball]
- a ball used in playing baseball
- Baseball \Base"ball"\, n.
- A game of ball, so called from the bases or bounds ( four in number) which designate the circuit which each player must endeavor to make after striking the ball.
- The ball used in this game.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Baseball'
Baseball is a bat-and-ball sport played between two teams of nine players each. The goal is to score runs by hitting a thrown ball with a bat and touching a series of four bases arranged at the corners of a ninety-foot square, or diamond. Players on one team (the batting team) take turns hitting against the pitcher of the other team (the fielding team), which tries to stop them from scoring runs by getting hitters out in any of several ways. A player on the batting team can stop at any of the bases and later advance via a teammate's hit or other means. The teams switch between batting and fielding whenever the fielding team records three outs. One turn at bat for each team constitutes an inning and nine innings make up a professional game. The team with the most runs at the end of the game wins.[See more about Baseball at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Baseball'
'Baseball' in famous quotation sentence
* Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many players on the field - Jim Boulton
* Mary I want a guy who can play 36 holes of golf, and still have enough energy to take Warren and me to a baseball game, and eat sausages, and beer, not lite beer, but beer. That's my ad, print it up. - There's Something About Mary
Click here for more related quotations on 'Baseball'