Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Barrow'
Barrow Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- the quantity that a barrow will hold [syn: barrowful]
- (archeology) a heap of earth placed over prehistoric tombs [syn: burial mound, grave mound, tumulus]
- a cart for carrying small loads; has handles and one or more wheels [syn: garden cart, lawn cart, wheelbarrow]
- Barrow \Bar"row\, n. [OE. barow, fr. AS. beran to bear. See
Bear to support, and cf. Bier.]
- A support having handles, and with or without a wheel, on which heavy or bulky things can be transported by hand. See Handbarrow, and Wheelbarrow.
- (Salt Works) A wicker case, in which salt is put to drain.
- Barrow \Bar"row\, n. [OE. barow, bargh, AS. bearg, bearh; akin
to Icel. b["o]rgr, OHG. barh, barug, G. barch. ?95.]
A hog, esp. a male hog castrated. --Holland.
- Barrow \Bar"row\, n. [OE. bergh, AS. beorg, beorh, hill,
sepulchral mound; akin to G. berg mountain, Goth. bairgahei
hill, hilly country, and perh. to Skr. b?hant high, OIr.
brigh mountain. Cf. Berg, Berry a mound, and Borough an
- A large mound of earth or stones over the remains of the dead; a tumulus.
- (Mining) A heap of rubbish, attle, etc.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Barrow'
- Barrow: Barrow may refer to: a cart or flat rectangular tray with handles at each end. wheelbarrow a tumulus , a large mound of earth or stone ...
- Barrow-in-Furness: Barrow-in-Furness. (ˈ | b | ær | ɵ | _ | ɪ | n | _ | f | @ | ' | n | ɛ | s, ˈbærɵ ɪn ˈfɜrns | local commonly known as Barrow) is an ...
- Barrow A.F.C.: Barrow A.F.C. are an English football team founded in 1901 based in the town of Barrow-in-Furness in Cumbria , England . Following ...
- Barrow Raiders: Barrow Raiders are an English professional rugby league team from Barrow-in-Furness , Cumbria , who are coached by Garry Schofield . ...
- Barrow, Alaska: Barrow (ˈbæroʊ) is the largest city of the North Slope Borough in the U.S. state of Alaska . with nearby Point Barrow being the nation's ...
- Barrow and Furness (UK Parliament constituency): Barrow and Furness (previously Barrow-in-Furness) is a parliamentary constituency in Cumbria, represented in the House of Commons of the ...
- Barrow-in-Furness railway station: Barrow-in-Furness railway station is a railway station that serves the town of Barrow-in-Furness in Cumbria , England . It is located on ...
- River Barrow: The Barrow (An Bhearú) is a river in Ireland . It is one of The Three Sisters ; the other two being the River Suir and the River Nore . ...
- Barrow County, Georgia: Barrow County is a county located in the U.S. state of Georgia . As of 2000, the population was 46,144. The 2007 Census Estimate placed ...
Words and phrases related to 'Barrow'
Barrow Sample Sentences in News
- Diving - Couch and Barrow win in Mexico
British pair Tonia Couch and Sarah Barrow claimed their second international medal of the season in Mexico. Read more on this news related to 'Barrow'
- Molly Rettig: Barrow: Spring is in the air and in the ice
On the 5-mile snowmachine ride to Point Barrow, we saw several fresh polar bear tracks the size of dinner plates, a pile of whalebones from last year and a 3-foot-wide crack in the sea ice that could swallow a sled. The crack was created when an ice floe in the open water crashed into shore-fast ice. Read more on this news related to 'Barrow'
- Barrow honors paramedic of the year
Lt. Michael Barnes honored at Georgia Emergency Medical Services Region 10 banquet Read more on this news related to 'Barrow'