Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Avalanche'
- a slide of large masses of snow and ice and mud down a mountain
- a sudden appearance of an overwhelming number of things; "the program brought an avalanche of mail" v : of snow masses in the mountains [syn: roll down]
- Avalanche \Av"a*lanche`\ (?; 277), n. [F. avalanche, fr. avaler
to descend, to let down, from aval down, downward; ? (L. ad)
+ val, L. vallis, valley. See Valley.]
- A large mass or body of snow and ice sliding swiftly down a mountain side, or falling down a precipice.
- A fall of earth, rocks, etc., similar to that of an avalanche of snow or ice.
- A sudden, great, or irresistible descent or influx of anything.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Avalanche'
An avalanche is a rapid flow of snow down a slope, from either natural triggers or human activity. Typically occurring in mountainous terrain, an avalanche can mix air and water with the descending snow. Powerful avalanches have the capability to entrain ice, rocks, trees, and other material on the slope. Avalanches are primarily composed of flowing snow, and are distinct from mudslides, rock slides, and serac collapses on an icefall. In mountainous terrain avalanches are among the most serious objective hazards to life and property, with their destructive capability resulting from their potential to carry an enormous mass of snow rapidly over large distances.
Avalanches are classified by their morphological characteristics, and are rated by either their destructive potential, or the mass of the downward flowing snow. Some of the morphological characteristics used to classify avalanches include the type of snow involved, the nature of the failure, the sliding surface, the propagation mechanism of the failure, the trigger of the avalanche, the slope angle, direction, and elevation. Avalanche size, mass, and destructive potential are rated on a logarithmic scale, typically made up of 4 to 7 categories, with the precise definition of the categories depending on the observation system or forecast region.[See more about Avalanche at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Avalanche'
'Avalanche' in famous quotation sentence
Click here for more related quotations on 'Avalanche'
Avalanche Sample Sentences in News
- Avalanche win on Benoit's overtime goal
DETROIT - The Colorado Avalanche didn't play their best game on Thursday night, but they made it work. Defenseman Andre Benoit's goal with 31 seconds left in the overtime period gave the Colorado Avalanche a 3-2, come-from-behind win over the Detroit Red Wings at Joe Louis Arena on Thursday night. We were sticking to it and found a way to win," Colora Read more on this news related to 'Avalanche'
- Video: 'I saw the avalanche'
Mom Erin Scoles watched as an avalanche barreled into her Montana backyard, burying her two children. The family joins TODAY to reveal how they survived the harrowing incident. Read more on this news related to 'Avalanche'
- Avalanche closes Berthoud Pass, buries cars on road
An avalanche closed U.S. 40 in both directions over Berthoud Pass and buried three cars along the stretch Friday afternoon. Read more on this news related to 'Avalanche'