Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Authority'
- the power or right to give orders or make decisions; "he has the authority to issue warrants"; "deputies are given authorization to make arrests" [syn: authorization, authorisation, dominance, say-so]
- (usually plural) persons who exercise (administrative) control over others; "the authorities have issued a curfew"
- an expert whose views are taken as definitive; "he is an authority on corporate law"
- freedom from doubt; belief in yourself and your abilities; "his assurance in his superiority did not make him popular"; "after that failure he lost his confidence"; "she spoke with authority" [syn: assurance, self-assurance, confidence, self-confidence, sureness]
- an administrative unit of government; "the Central Intelligence Agency"; "the Census Bureau"; "Office of Management and Budget"; "Tennessee Valley Authority" [syn: agency, federal agency, government agency, bureau, office]
- official permission or approval; "authority for the program was renewed several times" [syn: authorization, authorisation, sanction]
- an authoritative written work; "this book is the final authority on the life of Milton"
- Authority \Au*thor"i*ty\, n.; pl. Authorities. [OE. autorite,
auctorite, F. autorit['e], fr. L. auctoritas, fr. auctor. See
- Legal or rightful power; a right to command or to act; power exercised buy a person in virtue of his office or trust; dominion; jurisdiction; authorization; as, the authority of a prince over subjects, and of parents over children; the authority of a court. Thus can the demigod, Authority, Make us pay down for our offense. --Shak. By what authority doest thou these things ? --Matt. xxi. 23.
- Government; the persons or the body exercising power or
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Authority'?
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Authority'
Authority is the ability of a person or an organization to conduct a certain lifestyle for another person or a group. Authority is known as one of the basis of society and stands against cooperation. Adopting lifestyle patterns as a result of authority is called obedience and authority as a concept includes most leadership cases.
Although authority is usually described as a human description there's also reference for authorities which are not human such as godly authorities and traditional authorities.
Authority exists by virtue of a certain social power. This power might be materialistic (such as a threat to harm someone) or fictitious (such as belief in a certain person's power). The power exists because of the possible use of sanction : An action who harms a person who's not obeying the authority or threatening it in order to conduct a social power.[See more about Authority at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Authority'
'Authority' in famous quotation sentence
* A man who enjoys responsibility usually gets it. A man who merely likes exercising authority usually loses it. - Malcolm Stevenson Forbes
* Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to authority is not using his intelligence he is just using his memory. - Leonardo DaVinci
Click here for more related quotations on 'Authority'
Authority Sample Sentences in News
- The Small Business Authority Releases The October 2013 SB Authority Index
NEW YORK, Dec. 10, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Newtek Business Services (NASDAQ: NEWT), The Small Business Authority ® , announced the release of the SB Authority Index of small business indicators for October ... Read more on this news related to 'Authority'
- Regional Transit Authority funding stalls in Michigan Legislature
Despite pleas from the Regional Transit Authority for financial help, the prospect of the new transit agency receiving legislative support is in question, and that could challenge the transportation goals for the region. Read more on this news related to 'Authority'
- Christie Ally Resigning From Port Authority
After New Jersey lawmakers questioned whether lane closings on the George Washington Bridge in September were politically motivated, David Wildstein, who ordered them, said he would leave in January. Read more on this news related to 'Authority'