Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Aspirant'
- seeking advancement or recognition [syn: aspiring(p), wishful, would-be(a)]
- desiring or striving for recognition or advancement [syn: aspiring(a)] n : an ambitious and aspiring young person; "a lofty aspirant"; "two executive hopefuls joined the firm"; "the audience was full of Madonna wannabes" [syn: aspirer, hopeful, wannabe, wannabee]
- Aspirant \As*pir"ant\ (?; 277), a. [Cf. F. aspirant, p. pr. of
aspirer. See Aspire.]
- Aspirant \As*pir"ant\, n. [Cf. F. aspirant.]
One who aspires; one who eagerly seeks some high position or
object of attainment.
In consequence of the resignations . . . the way to
greatness was left clear to a new set of aspirants.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Aspirant'
Aspirant is a military rank in the Canadian Navy, French military, Brazilian military, Romanian Navy and Polish Police.
Similar to the French usage, the Canadian Navy uses the French-language rank of "Aspirant de marine" (AspM) to denote a junior officer under training. The same rank in the English language is referred to as "Naval Cadet" (NCdt). An aspirant de marine does not hold the Queen's commission and must either acquire a university degree or complete his first trades qualification to earn promotion.
An Officer Designate rank, it is used in the Armée de Terre (Army), the Armée de l'Air (Air Force), the Marine Nationale (Navy) and the Gendarmerie Nationale. Technically it is not a commissioned rank but it is still treated in all respects as one. Aspirants are either officers in training in military academies or voluntaries, serving as temporary officers. The aspirant must have been previously élève officier (Officer Cadet). He can afterwards be commissioned as a sous-lieutenant or enseigne de vaisseau de deuxième classe. His insignia is a single curl of gold lace, disrupted by "flashes" of wool. It was widely used during both World Wars for providing young educated people with an officer's authority.[See more about Aspirant at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Aspirant'
'Aspirant' in famous quotation sentence
Click here for more related quotations on 'Aspirant'
Aspirant Sample Sentences in News
- IAS Aspirant Did Not Qualify Prelims Exam: UPSC
IAS aspirant Manjunath, who had committed suicide over an alleged goof up in the civil service exams results, did not even qualify in the preliminary exams, the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) said today. Read more on this news related to 'Aspirant'
- IAS aspirant Manjunath did not qualify prelim exams: UPSC
IAS aspirant Manjunath, who had committed suicide over an alleged goof in the civil service exams results, did not even qualify in the preliminary exams, UPSC clarified today. Read more on this news related to 'Aspirant'
- 'Captain aspirant' Warner may bid adieu to Ashes hopes over Twitter rant
Sydney, May 19 (ANI): Australian Test batsman David Warner may reportedly lose his place in the squad for the prestigious Ashes tour following his Twitter outburst. Read more on this news related to 'Aspirant'