Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Appreciated'
- giving pleasure or satisfaction [syn: gratifying, pleasing, satisfying]
- fully understood or grasped; "dangers not yet appreciated"; "these apprehended truths"; "a thing comprehended is a thing known as fully as it can be known" [syn: apprehended, comprehended]
- Appreciate \Ap*pre"ci*ate\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Appreciated;
p. pr. & vb. n. Appreciating.] [L. appretiatus, p. p. of
appretiare to value at a price, appraise; ad + pretiare to
prize, pretium price. Cf. Appraise.]
- To set a price or value on; to estimate justly; to value. To appreciate the motives of their enemies. --Gibbon.
- To raise the value of; to increase the market price of; -- opposed to depreciate. [U.S.] Lest a sudden peace should appreciate the money. --Ramsay.
- To be sensible of; to distinguish. To test the power of bees to appreciate color. --Lubbock. Syn: To Appreciate, Estimate, Esteem. Usage: Estimate is an act of judgment; esteem is an act of valuing or prizing, and when applied to individuals, denotes a sentiment of moral approbation. See Estimate. Appreciate lies between the two. As compared with estimate, it supposes a union of sensibility with judgment, producing a nice and delicate perception. As compared with esteem, it denotes a valuation of things according to their appropriate and distinctive excellence, and not simply their moral worth. Thus, with reference to the former of these (delicate perception), an able writer says. ``Women have a truer appreciation of character than men;'' and another remarks, ``It is difficult to appreciate the true force and distinctive sense of terms which we are every day using.'' So, also, we speak of the difference between two things, as sometimes hardly appreciable. With reference to the latter of these (that of valuation as the result of a
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Appreciated'
In accounting, appreciation of an asset is an increase in its value. In this sense it is the reverse of depreciation, which measures the fall in value of assets over their normal life-time. Generally, the term is reserved for property or, more specifically, land and buildings.
Applied to a currency, appreciation is a rise of its value in a floating exchange rate.
In times of high inflation, appreciation of assets will be common to all balance sheet assets. In any viable modern economy, such property tends to increase in value over the years – if only because of the scarcity of usable land forces its price in a competitive situation. However, this belief has often caused speculative bubbles to arise.
There are considerable difficulties in assessing the increase in value of any particular asset. This is principally because of the variety of interpretations that can be attached to the concept of value itself, as well as the various instruments and methods used in the valuation process.[See more about Appreciated at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Appreciated'
'Appreciated' in famous quotation sentence
Click here for more related quotations on 'Appreciated'
Appreciated Sample Sentences in News
- Franc Truce Threatened as Ukraine Tension Escalates
The franc has appreciated 1.2 percent this year, based on Bloomberg Correlation... Read More The franc has appreciated 1.2 percent this year, based on Bloomberg Correlation Weighted Indexes, making it the third-best performer behind the yen, which has gained 4.2 percent, and New Zealand’s dollar, which has climbed 2.1 percent. Read more on this news related to 'Appreciated'
- EU to give Rs10 billion for poverty reduction in Sindh
KARACHI: Sindh Chief Minister Qaim Ali Shah has appreciated the offer of Rs 10 billion by European Union (EU) for extending Sindh Union Council Based Poverty Reduction Programme (SUCBPR) from 12 Sindh districts to all. Read more on this news related to 'Appreciated'
- The Extremely Strange Solar Energy Technology You'd Be Stupid To Ignore
One of the less appreciated privileges of becoming a tenured professor at Harvard University is that most people consider even your wildest ideas seriously. Read more on this news related to 'Appreciated'