Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Anemia'
- a deficiency of red blood cells [syn: anaemia]
- a lack of vitality [syn: anaemia]
- genus of terrestrial or lithophytic ferns having pinnatifid fronds; chiefly of tropical America [syn: genus Anemia]
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Anemia'
Anemia (pronounced /əˈniːmiə/, also spelled anaemia and anæmia; from Ancient Greek ἀναιμία anaimia, meaning lack of blood) is a decrease in number of red blood cells (RBCs) or less than the normal quantity of hemoglobin in the blood. However, it can include decreased oxygen-binding ability of each hemoglobin molecule due to deformity or lack in numerical development as in some other types of hemoglobin deficiency.
Because hemoglobin (found inside RBCs) normally carries oxygen from the lungs to the tissues, anemia leads to hypoxia (lack of oxygen) in organs. Because all human cells depend on oxygen for survival, varying degrees of anemia can have a wide range of clinical consequences.
Anemia is the most common disorder of the blood. There are several kinds of anemia, produced by a variety of underlying causes. Anemia can be classified in a variety of ways, based on the morphology of RBC's, underlying etiologic mechanisms, and discernible clinical spectra, to mention a few. The three main classes of anemia include excessive blood loss (acutely such as a hemorrhage or chronically through low-volume loss), excessive blood cell destruction (hemolysis) or deficient red blood cell production (ineffective hematopoiesis).[See more about Anemia at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Anemia'
Anemia Sample Sentences in News
- Ferumoxytol Treatment Produced Significant Hemoglobin Increases in Adult Iron Deficiency Anemia Patients With ...
LEXINGTON, Mass. -- AMAG Pharmaceuticals, Inc. announced that a new sub-group analysis from IDA-301, a phase III, randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trial, will be presented today at a poster session ... Read more on this news related to 'Anemia'
- Research and Markets: Anemia Partnering 2007-2013 Contains Over 50 Links to Online Copies of Actual Anemia Deals and ...
Research and Markets has announced the addition of the "Anemia Partnering 2007-2013" report to their offering. Read more on this news related to 'Anemia'
- Iron Deficiency Anemia Pipeline Reviewed by Global Markets Direct in New Report Available at MarketPublishers.com
Iron deficiency anemia is the most common type of anemia worldwide, accounting for nearly 40% of all anemia cases. Egypt, the US, Spain, Mexico and Germany have the highest mortality rates for iron deficiency anemia. Read more on this news related to 'Anemia'